Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tree68
  • 1 Post By snowball

Thread: Being the best

Forum Member

Default Being the best

Being the best
    I am writing this post to hear from others and use the information provided to be the best fire cadet during my fire academy. I have 2 months tell it starts. I want to be the class valedictorian. I am getting sponsored by the local fire department in my area PASADENA FIRE for the academy and want to prove to those who gave me the opportunity that I am qualified to be a part of their crew.

So my question is. What can I do to prepare me / put me a step ahead of the rest of the 50 others during the academy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HARD WORK!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDerian View Post
    Being the best
    I am writing this post to hear from others and use the information provided to be the best fire cadet during my fire academy. I have 2 months tell it starts. I want to be the class valedictorian. I am getting sponsored by the local fire department in my area PASADENA FIRE for the academy and want to prove to those who gave me the opportunity that I am qualified to be a part of their crew.

So my question is. What can I do to prepare me / put me a step ahead of the rest of the 50 others during the academy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HARD WORK!
    I'd worry about being the best FIREFIGHTER, not being the Valedictorian. I know a lot of really great firefighters that butcher the English language, but know the job. I'd rather be with a guy like that. Because I know I'm with someone that has my back, won't get me killed, and earns respect for our crew from other firefighters.

Plus I can make fun of them at the firehouse for talking funny.

Forum Member

show up early

be prepared

be a team player

study hard, party none

get in shape, stay in shape

pass the class

and what johnsb said

Forum Member

Those last two words of your post, you know, the capitalized ones? You answered your own question. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm reminded of a girl on my daughter's high school basketball team. At the beginning of the season, the coach asked what each player wanted to achieve. This young lady said she wanted to be on the league all-star team.

She wasn't, and didn't really do much to help the team all season, either.

Do the best you can, do all the stuff everyone else has pointed out.

Be a leader (but not a know-it-all).

Learn from your own mistakes, and the mistakes of others.

Don't be jealous of the success of others - ie, even though you may be shooting at being the fastest at donning your gear, be sincere when you congratulate someone who beats you. And remember, friendly competition can be fun.
    conrad427 likes this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

You won't get to be the best if you have to ask a bunch of jabroni's how to be the best. Retain what they teach you, then get ready for the Cap at your first assignment to tell you to forget it all.
    rm1524 likes this.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have ENTITLEMENT mentaility lose it now, because it has no place in the fire service.

Forum Member

believe it or not REAL firefighting is still a hands on blue collar type job. All the answers are not on the internet. And like the others have said -quite worrying about beating out the other 50. Concentrate on being the best you can be and let the chip fall where they may.
    ?

Thread Information