Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rook2010
  • 1 Post By FF14

Thread: Hello from sunny california!!

Forum Member

Cool Hello from sunny california!!

My name is Bret and I am from sunny Sacramento CA. I currently am an Apprentice firefighter for the last 2 plus years while I find a department to call home through this wonderful hiring process called "You will be placed on a list". I love this career and look forward to working for as long as I can. I have just started and am learning new things everyday and still have alot to learn. I Look forward to meeting others and learning more from people who have been doing this for a while.

Thanks
    Bret
    Last edited by Rook2010; 10-25-2013 at 04:31 AM.
    FF14 likes this.

Have you looked in to applying with the San Jose Fire Department? San Jose is a really great FD, just be aware that it is very competitive to get in. I am taking the written test on the 24. PM me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Forum Member

I am from the Sacramento area as well. The hiring process sucks for major cities. I am in currently going through the testing and interview process with 4 other departments and more coming hopefully. I currently work for CAL FIRE, so if you have questions how we run things, or the hiring process for CAL FIRE let me know. One thing I recommend is gain as much experience as possible, some experience is better than no experience. Also TEST TEST TEST. The more tests you take, the better you get at them. I have taken over 100+ tests easily, and now it seems a lot easier and not so much stressful. Think about outside California as well. Most firefighters in California have their EMT-Basic and Firefighter 1. But to have a better chance ( because more and more are becoming one everyday) is to be a Paramedic. But outside CA its not as bad because the requirements are lower in some places. So just a word of wisdom. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Gino

I retired from Long Beach City Fire and welcome. They are taking apps at the end of this month so heads up and good luck.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Hello Mr. Dudley,

I am planning on applying with Long Beach FD. I am taking my written test on the 24th of this month and it will be sent to Long Beach. Do you have any advice/tips? What is the process like?

Thank you.
    FF14

Forum Member

FF14 is that test through the national testing network? Also how is that test do you actually hear from departments and is it pretty legit. After taking fire hire and paying for that then only having one of there many fire deptaertments testing iam sort of iffy on paying outside websites to test and then hearing from departments.

Yes, the test is through the National Testing Network. I am taking the test tomorrow afternoon, so I will get back to you about how it was. So, far it seems pretty legit. I am not very happy with FireHire. I tried to sign up for them, but because I don't have my EMT, they wouldn't let me. From what I've heard, once you finish everything you need to do to be qualified for a department, you will hear from that department. For San Jose, they are requiring you to take the test and to pass the CPAT for you to be put on the list of qualified candidates.

Forum Member

For most tests, you need a EMT to qualify, including San Jose. Firehire is a good site, most of friends got jobs off that site.

So, I took my test last Thursday and it was very interesting. The first half of the test was a video test. It was about 60 scenarios and you had to pick the best answer and the worst answer. The second half was made up of mechanical (about 32 questions), math (about 32 questions), and a reading test ( about 24 questions). The reading test was the only thing we had to read from a test booklet. The rest was all watching videos and answering the questions. You have about 10 seconds between each video. Just received my scores. My math and mechanical score wasn't that great, but everything I did good in.
    Rook2010 likes this.

Thread Information