Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Preparing for Live Burn

Forum Member

Good visibility is not something you should be expecting. It may be dark on that roof (unless all your fires are during the day) and there may be smoke on that roof (unless you are lucky enough to have only those smokeless fires).You will have to learn how to operate in limited visibility. You will have to learn how to evaluate floors and roofs for structural integrity. If you fall through a roof it is unlikely that a fogged facepiece will be the main reason.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Overhaul is slightly different and the need for SCBA depends on the circumstances.
    Seems like I've been reading recently that SCBA should be just as mandatory for overhaul as it is for any other aspect of fire attack.

If there's smoke, there's still stuff off-gassing, and some of that stuff can kill you.

The Europeans have started giving a Cyanokit to any and all smoke inhalation victims - civilian and firefighter alike. The recovery rate has apparently improved markedly. I would opine that some of our "returned from a fire and fell ill" LODDs may be due to the firefighters being poisoned at the fire scene. Even pump operators/chauffeurs have shown increased levels of cyanide in their blood following fire incidents.

Back in the "leather lung" days, most of the furnishings of a home or business were natural materials. Nowadays they're all synthetic, made with who-knows-what chemicals. Better safe than sorry.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    I'd listen to what Fyred is trying to say. There appears to be some issues with the training. Listen to what he is saying regarding masking up. I also wait as long as I can to go on air. Usually I will mask up in the yard, but wait until just before I step in side the door to go on air. Much easier to click in the resperator than don the whole mask. I also don't have to worry about getting the chinstrap tangled in the hose that way.

I will also question the instructor letting you go inside with a collar that was "buggered" or letting you stand up if the temp was 1500. I doubt that the air you actually stood up in was 1500, but it may have been right at the ceiling.

Your last sentence got my attention. That's not what I call being conservative. I think of being conservative as being safer. If guys are not on air unless it's an inferno, there's an issue. Overhaul is slightly different and the need for SCBA depends on the circumstances.
    I agree with the vast majority of what you said. Safety is OUR responsibility and using our scba when we should is part of that.

Your last sentence got My attention. prevailing evidence shows that the atmosphere during overhaul may be as dangerous if not more so due to toxic gases than the actual fire. Unless you can monitor for cyanide and CO, to show it is safe, keep the face piece on and breath off the tank.
    CCFD615 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I agree with the vast majority of what you said. Safety is OUR responsibility and using our scba when we should is part of that.

Your last sentence got My attention. prevailing evidence shows that the atmosphere during overhaul may be as dangerous if not more so due to toxic gases than the actual fire. Unless you can monitor for cyanide and CO, to show it is safe, keep the face piece on and breath off the tank.
    I don't disagree with you or tree, I just didn't explain myself well. We often have extended overhaul for several reasons. For example , we might need to wait for the fire-marshal before really tearing into things. By that time the place has been well ventilated and cooled down, and everybody has had a chance to have a cigarette. With no smoke remaining (from the fire), and PPV to bring in fresh air, I may feel comfortable without SCBA. It's a judgment call based on conditions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

You sir would be correct. Now as a probie myself im in the process of learning all of this. We have some of the best instructors in our state and every single one has stated that an SCBA needs to worn during the overhaul process too. The main reasons were the contents still off-gassing (already mentioned) and the fact that as you are pulling things apart and moving stuff around you create a good amount of toxic dust. I would rather have to fill a few more tanks than use my lungs as a dust filter

Thread Information