+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Prince William County, VA 2014

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    40

    Default Prince William County, VA 2014

    Anybody in the process for the January 2014 class? I am scheduled for a medical exam.
    rkimble likes this.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prince William County, VA
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaganga View Post
    Anybody in the process for the January 2014 class? I am scheduled for a medical exam.
    Yep, I'm done with the process, now I'm waiting to see if I get the call for a job offer. How is the process going with you?

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Good, im going for my 2nd day of my medical tomorrow morning and then heading back home to NJ. Good luck

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    40

    Default

    How long ago did you finish?

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prince William County, VA
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaganga View Post
    Good, im going for my 2nd day of my medical tomorrow morning and then heading back home to NJ. Good luck
    Thanks man, good luck to you as well. I finished the process on October 2nd, and was told that the hiring decisions wont be made until December. Good luck again, and have a safe trip back to NJ.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Thanks, Yea they told me the same thing today... hopefully the 1st week of December. Hopefully well meet in January haha
    rkimble likes this.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26

    Default

    FYI, our academy is done on Jan. 24th. So the next one starts the 27th. Get your pushups down and your cardio/stairs up boys! Don't wait for the job offer to start. If you're not a "yes sir" person, become one! It's been a hell of great experience so far. Exactly half-way done today! Good luck!
    rkimble likes this.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Thanks for the input! Good to know! Good luck to you as well in the rest of the academy. You were from out of state right? How was it finding housing?
    rkimble likes this.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prince William County, VA
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaganga View Post
    Thanks, Yea they told me the same thing today... hopefully the 1st week of December. Hopefully well meet in January haha
    Definitely , I hope we meet in January!

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prince William County, VA
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PreMedic13 View Post
    FYI, our academy is done on Jan. 24th. So the next one starts the 27th. Get your pushups down and your cardio/stairs up boys! Don't wait for the job offer to start. If you're not a "yes sir" person, become one! It's been a hell of great experience so far. Exactly half-way done today! Good luck!
    Thanks for the heads up, and good luck with the rest of the academy!

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Were there a lot of people that took the test for The January 2014 academy? I'll be taking the exam in January for July.... First time testing for pwc.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prince William County, VA
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjames8980 View Post
    Were there a lot of people that took the test for The January 2014 academy? I'll be taking the exam in January for July.... First time testing for pwc.
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe there were 5 written exams given for the January academy start date. I am not exactly sure of the number of people that tested, but the room was full during my exam, and I would guess that there were approximately 60-70 people in the room. Hope this helps, and good luck!

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rkimble View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe there were 5 written exams given for the January academy start date. I am not exactly sure of the number of people that tested, but the room was full during my exam, and I would guess that there were approximately 60-70 people in the room. Hope this helps, and good luck!
    Thanks for the reply... I'm looking forward to taking the test.. I'm hoping that being a medic will help during the process but I'm sure there will be tons of other medics testing! Did you get hired for the January academy?

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prince William County, VA
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjames8980 View Post
    Thanks for the reply... I'm looking forward to taking the test.. I'm hoping that being a medic will help during the process but I'm sure there will be tons of other medics testing! Did you get hired for the January academy?
    From what I understand, being a medic helps you tremendously lol. For those of us that are in the process for the January academy, we won't hear anything until December regarding hiring decisions. Good luck with your test, I'm sure you will do great.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    47

    Default

    I don't have anything to hide but just curious... How deep is the background check and polygraph. I've never done one! Kind of nerve-wracking thinking about the whole hiring process!

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prince William County, VA
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjames8980 View Post
    I don't have anything to hide but just curious... How deep is the background check and polygraph. I've never done one! Kind of nerve-wracking thinking about the whole hiring process!
    I have no idea how far back they go with the background, but the packet requested my jobs for the last 10 years, addresses, references, drug use history, traffic citation history, criminal history, etc. The polygraph was straight forward, he asks about what you put down on the background packet. Just stay calm and tell the truth, you will do fine! good luck!

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Being out of state are you able to test in a bunch or do you have to go all seperate dates?

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26

    Default

    It depends on their availability and how far away you are. They didn't allow me to, but I know guys some guys further away got to. Definitely ask if they call to schedule your next test.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of living compared to the salary?

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9

    Default

    It's good, Northern Virginia isn't cheap although the 45k starting salary is plenty to live a comfortable life style. Not to mention that's only the starting salary. So, as long as your not trying to live a life of luxury; in which, I'm assuming your not because your trying to have a career as a firefighter and not an engineer, the salary is plenty to live off of.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Awesome. I would also have a second income but was just curious how the cost of living was.

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    47

    Default

    How is the process? Do they wash out a lot of guys during the different phases? I'm an Ohio guy coming down to test with a couple years of FireMedic training and a 2 year fire degree... but i know most of the time that all can mean nothing with the numbers that show up to test and go through the process! I'm getting excited though waiting for Jan.. PWC looks like a great department in a great area.

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rkimble View Post
    From what I understand, being a medic helps you tremendously lol. For those of us that are in the process for the January academy, we won't hear anything until December regarding hiring decisions. Good luck with your test, I'm sure you will do great.
    Correct. Paramedics are given hiring preference. Doesn't mean you don't have a shot as a non-medic, but it's definitely a certification that is highly valued.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjames8980 View Post
    I don't have anything to hide but just curious... How deep is the background check and polygraph. I've never done one! Kind of nerve-wracking thinking about the whole hiring process!
    It's a pretty standard background check. Employment history, DMV record, criminal record. The polygraph is pretty straight forward too. Your evaluator will ask questions relating to the information that you gave on your application, past drug use, criminal history, etc. There's a bit more to it than that, but it's not something you should freak out about.

    The important thing is that you are honest with them. They understand that nobody is perfect and that we have all done things in the past that we may not be proud of. Obviously there are certain actions that they cannot overlook and may disqualify you, but honesty will go a long way.

    Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    Being out of state are you able to test in a bunch or do you have to go all seperate dates?
    It depends where you are coming from, but yes, they will usually try to work with you if you request to schedule a couple of steps in one visit.

    Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of living compared to the salary?
    The NoVA area is huge, with varying costs of living. It's hard to put a number on it. You aren't required to live in the county so if you choose to live somewhere more affordable there is no issue. 45k is the base salary for a non-medic firefighter, but that's just the starting point. Shift workers earn substantial holiday bonus' and medics earn ALS pay on top of that. It's a very reasonable salary to support yourself in this area.
    rkimble likes this.

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I am also coming from ohio and had a question about them working with you on various steps. Which steps are they willing to bundle would you say?

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I agree with Midazo, contact recruitment with specific questions. Again, I only stated what I saw when I went through the process. Anything is subject to change throughout the process.
    Last edited by PreMedic13; 11-11-2013 at 02:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Prince William County, VA Hiring For 2014
    By MidazoWHAM! in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 03:39 PM
  2. Prince William County
    By deadbear271 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
  3. Prince William County
    By AFVeteran in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 07:51 AM
  4. Prince William County, Va.
    By MG3610 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 06:30 PM
  5. Prince William County
    By smoke208 in forum Virginia
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 11:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register