Thread: staffing/squads

Forum Member

Default staffing/squads

This might be a little more towards EMS side of things but I was wounding how many dept have a set personal as "on call'

a near dept as what they call squads. they have 4 or 5 sets of squads. a squad is made up of 4 people that run all EMS calls, they do not stay at the station, but must stay in the area. the squads start from 11 pm and stop at 6am. they rotate squads every night. if anyone cant be on squad for what ever reason they must find a sub.

In my Dept we don't have anything in place.Its "come if you can". we have had a few issues of personal not responding at night. looking for solution for this problem.

What does your dept do?
    anything helps
    thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmace161 View Post
    This might be a little more towards EMS side of things but I was wounding how many dept have a set personal as "on call'

a near dept as what they call squads. they have 4 or 5 sets of squads. a squad is made up of 4 people that run all EMS calls, they do not stay at the station, but must stay in the area. the squads start from 11 pm and stop at 6am. they rotate squads every night. if anyone cant be on squad for what ever reason they must find a sub.

In my Dept we don't have anything in place.Its "come if you can". we have had a few issues of personal not responding at night. looking for solution for this problem.

What does your dept do?
    anything helps
    thanks
    Your post is quite vague. Just what exactly does a "squad" do??? Are they a tranport vehicle, first responder? And why don't they run out of the station? What kind of equipment are you looking at running with? More details would help.

Forum Member

so a squad is made up of 2 emt and 2 ffs they handle all Ems call that they have. they are a bls ambulance.
    so i guess what im trying to ask is does your dept have set people like shifts or something to handle calls or is a free for all IE come to the calls you want

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Shifts. Frankly, the you all come style of staffing ems units is obsolete and will eventually lead to no one responding for a call.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Key comment here (courtesy of johnsb). What is a squad?

Despite NIMS (and their misguided attempt to call a tanker a "tender), some terms simply are not universal.

Some folks call an ambulance a rescue. To others a rescue is a truck with lots of tools in it. And the list goes on.

We still staff our first response rig with whoever shows up. With maybe five FR calls a month, eventually no one would show up for shifts, either.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

at our department we have groups for each night. we have about 30 people total on our department and those 30 get divided 3 ways so 10 each. we will have a gold night, black night, and red night. those three groups rotate throughout the week. the idea is to have a couple emt's on each night. when it is your night, it is your responsibility to make sure you are available. now there are some that still disregard this and rarely make the calls but that is what it is. on the flipside, with myself, I know that there are people that will not show up so I make the calls reguardless of what shift night it is. the concept is more of a minimum staffing requirement to make sure or at least have a better chance at having proper staffing for the 10pm to 6am shift time.

MembersZone Subscriber

I live close to the Canadian border, and listening to our northern brothers and sisters on the scanner can be enlightening.

One nearby village apparently has a system much like what 19FF84 mentions - they just call them platoons. They're pretty much volunteer/POC. If it's anything major, or potentially so, it gets paged as a "general alarm." Lesser incidents (EMS assists, mostly) get paged for whatever platoon has duty today. I'm sure it's still a crapshoot on how many folks you'll get, but it does mean there are days when you can basically ignore the pager.

I haven't figured out how many platoons they're running.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmace161 View Post
    so a squad is made up of 2 emt and 2 ffs they handle all Ems call that they have. they are a bls ambulance.
    so i guess what im trying to ask is does your dept have set people like shifts or something to handle calls or is a free for all IE come to the calls you want
    I can't see any reason to have 4 people on one truck for BLS calls. They could have a Firefighter driving, and an EMT riding "in charge". That way they could man two ambulances. If they need manpower for lifting or additional help, they could call for the second ambulance, or if the call type or dispatch information warrented it, they could send both on the initial dispatch. I still don't understand why they don't run out of the station.

MembersZone Subscriber

Current department is pretty much come if you are available. We do informally coordinate to make sure we have a driver and EMT in the station all of the time, or at least let everybody know when we don't. We are fortunate to have several shift workers to cover the day, and we have a great group of live-ins for night coverage. We do ask that people staff a duty crew between 1900 and 2200 in the evenings.

My former department had duty crews that were assigned for 12 hrs (6pm to 6 am) once every 8 days. It worked OK as long as everybody showed up for duty or got a replacement. The issue I had was that as i got more qualified, it got hard to find a substitute if I couldn't make it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    I can't see any reason to have 4 people on one truck for BLS calls. They could have a Firefighter driving, and an EMT riding "in charge". That way they could man two ambulances. If they need manpower for lifting or additional help, they could call for the second ambulance, or if the call type or dispatch information warrented it, they could send both on the initial dispatch. I still don't understand why they don't run out of the station.
    I have to agree. If they're only BLS, why four? For the sensitive types, this is not a put down of BLS.

Forum Member

EMS agency runs about 1500 calls per year. No duty crews. All respond from home to the station, grab one of the ambulances, and answer the call. Anywhere from 2 to 4 on a call.

Been doing it this way since 1929 and somehow....the calls are still getting answered.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I'm sure the woman who just watched her husband drop doesn't mind that whoever MIGHT be around MIGHT be going to the station to get the truck..... but hey, the call got done, so, whatever. It's only 10,000 brain cells lost per second of a stroke, by way of example. You can live without em.

21st century, folks. Time to advance beyond the First Aid model.
    Last edited by emt161; 10-27-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    I'm sure the woman who just watched her husband drop doesn't mind that whoever MIGHT be around MIGHT be going to the station to get the truck..... but hey, the call got done, so, whatever. It's only 10,000 brain cells lost per second of a stroke, by way of example. You can live without em.

21st century, folks. Time to advance beyond the First Aid model.
    We are a QRS. We have no medications or other means to alleviate or stop the consequences of a cva from occurring. A call of that nature starts ALS from the paid provider. As a QRS, we are by definition, a basic life support quick response service. We cannot transport or give medications. So we are in fact a First Aid department if you want to call us that. We rely on automatic aid for transport and ALS.

It is the 21st century, maybe by now you would realize that not all areas are the same - call volume, staffing numbers, budget, coverage area, terrain, population density, or any of another 100 variables change how an individual department is able to set up their responses.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    As much as I'd like to see a dedicated crew in-station (ALS, even), with from two to five medical calls a month it's gonna get real old, real fast for those who would initially be willing to take said shifts. We, too, rely on a staffed ALS agency coming from the next town (7 miles).

Too, right now we've got just two EMTs, one of whom covers the bulk of the calls. We can usually get a rig out the door with 2-3 people in short order. Ironically, if we're headed toward the town the ambulance is coming from, there is every possibility they will beat us to the scene.

The first aid model is far from dead.

Thread Information