Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nfpa 1971

Forum Member

Default Nfpa 1971

Hi guys,

I am new here and hope this is the right place for this topic.

I want to get my dad a Phenix TL2 helmet for Christmas, but am having a little trouble when it comes to NFPA stuff. I have emailed various websites trying to find a good price for what I want and they have all informed me that if I do not order the helmet with goggles then it doesn't come with the NFPA certified sticker. I am not sure what the exact regulations are for my dads department. I do know that a few guys have N5A's and almost noone has goggles on their helmets. My dad has a pair on his helmet, but he told me he never uses them, that they are pretty much just for show. I can't see spending the extra money on goggles that aren't going to be used, but on the other hand I do not want my dad to get into a jam for not having the NFPA sticker in the helmet. Plus (God forbid) something bad were to happen to him, I have heard of places denying injury or death benefits in those situations.

Can anyone help me to clear this up, maybe a Phenix rep or someone who knows the NFPA standards better than me?

Thanks in advance, all advice is appreciated

Forum Member

Talk to the highest up person you can in the dept and ask the question, that is the most important place to start

also call the manufacter with the sticker question and see what they say

http://www.phenixfirehelmets.com/products_tl2.html

Forum Member

how much more are the googles??

Plus when you talk to the dept maybe they have a vendor they deal with that can get you a deal

Forum Member

read all this good stuff::

Q: Are your helmets NFPA approved?
    A: NFPA DOES NOT APPROVE ANYTHING. Designated helmet models are compliant to the NFPA 1971-2007 standard. In the NFPA 1971-2007 Standard page 102 section A.3.2.1. reads, ďThe National Fire Protection Association does not approve, inspect, or certify any installations, procedures, equipment, or materials; nor does it approve or evaluate testing laboratories.Ē If you have any further questions feel free to call our president and co-founder Raymond Russell.

Q: Does NFPA certify helmets?
    A: No. It only specifies performance criteria.

Q: What is NFPA/What is NFPA 1971?
    A: NFPA is the National Fire Protection Association. The NFPA is an international nonprofit organization which in their own words "develops, publishes, and disseminates more than 300 consensus codes and standards intended to minimize the possibility and effects of fire and other risks."
    NFPA 1971 is the Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting which specifies "the minimum design, performance, testing, and certification requirements for structural fire fighting protective ensembles and ensemble elements that include coats, trousers, coveralls, helmets, gloves, footwear, and interface components." More information is available on the NFPA website at: www.nfpa.org

Q: I was looking at your catalog/website products and noticed only some of the helmets are identified as NFPA 1971 compliant, why is that?
    A: The NFPA 1971 standard requires specific testing of helmets and components by an independent testing facility. All of our helmets meet or exceed the current standard. For a helmet to be fully compliant, NFPA 1971 requires that helmets be equipped with certain components. These include: goggles or full-face face shield, ear/neck protection, Nomex chinstrap, and a minimum surface area of four square inches of lime/yellow reflective material. Our standard models are fully compliant to the NFPA 1971 standard.
    Each of our helmets is available in various configurations, some of which do not meet NFPA standards, all meeting US OSHA criteria. Search and rescue, wildland firefighting, confined spaces, and other non-structural firefighting/emergency applications may not need all of the same protection as structural firefighting.

Q: If my helmet is NFPA 1971 compliant is it also CA and US OSHA compliant?
    A: Yes. The NFPA 1971 standard is more rigorous than the CA and US OSHA standards. If your helmet is NFPA 1971 compliant it is also CA and US OSHA compliant.

Q: Where is the NFPA Compliant Sticker in my helmet?
    A: Turn your helmet upside down, remove the liner and gray impact cap, there you will find the labels determining the level of compliance.

Q: Can I get a copy of your NFPA Compliance Certificate?
    A: Absolutely. You can click here to download our NFPA Standards Compliance Certification issued by Strider International.

Q: Is there a more recent standard than NFPA 1971/Hasn't the standard changed since 1971?
    A: 1971 is the standard number and not a year. NFPA 1971 is periodically amended and our helmets are compliant to the current version of that standard. The current revision is the NFPA 1971-2007

Q: Isn't there a more stringent NFPA 1972 standard?
    A: NFPA 1972 did exist but was utlimately incorporated into the NFPA 1971 standard.

Q: Are flip down eye shields NFPA approved?
    A: No. See above question about NFPA approval. Flip down eye shields do not meet the requirements of eye protection for NFPA or ANSI compliance. They are currently considered an accessory.

Q: Is your testing laboratory a recognized testing lab?
    A: Our helmets are tested by National Technical Systems in Fullerton, CA. This lab is approved by the Defense Electronic Supply Center (DESC), accredited by the American Association of Laboratories (AALA), and is ISO registered. NTS meets and exceeds all of the requirements for NFPA 1971-2007 compliance. For a complete list of NTSís certifications please contact Phenix Technology.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice Fire49.

It is my dad's department and I do not know many of the administrative guys, I did speak to another lieutenant (my dad is an lt.). He has an N5A which he bought himself and said he never took into consideration the fact it isn't "NFPA certified", however the department inspects his gear annually and has always approved it. But the highest guy I would be able to talk to is maybe a district/battalion chief.

The goggles vary in price difference but are usually $60-ish more. Which may not seem like alot, but when you consider the fact that they are a showpiece not something that will actually be used, it makes me hesitant. I'm not trying to sound like a cheap@$$ but times are tough. Plus he has goggles in perfect working order and can get new ones through a simple requisition form. He also carries safety glasses with his gear.

As for all that "good stuff" I read it all and anything else I could find on NFPA 1971 over the past two days. In the above posted Q&A's I could not find anything to help me, but maybe I didn't fully understand it.

Thanks again and if anyone has been through this before please let me know what you did.

Forum Member

Call the maker and ask the question

Just ask to speak to the chief or person below him
    Most are friendly and want to help

Thread Information