Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My best bud just got arrested for a DUI....

The first time should hurt, but if it's on the low end of the scale, years in jail become counter productive - you may be taking a productive member of society out of production. It could be that somebody doesn't usually drive drunk, but did this time - most of us have done it. So, yes it should hurt, but I'm willing to give most folks the benefit of the doubt (assuming no mitigating circumstances, like an accident or worse).

The second time should go beyond hurting. We now have someone who apparently doesn't get it.

The third time should be the third strike. Never drive again, and when they're caught, deep doodoo.

Fourth, fifth, sixth, etc times simply shouldn't be happening.

Bear in mind, I'm not condoning drinking and driving. But a beer or two with the guys after work can mean a DWI or impaired even a fair time after the last sip if you're stopped (figure an hour a beer).
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    The first time should hurt, but if it's on the low end of the scale, years in jail become counter productive - you may be taking a productive member of society out of production. It could be that somebody doesn't usually drive drunk, but did this time - most of us have done it. So, yes it should hurt, but I'm willing to give most folks the benefit of the doubt (assuming no mitigating circumstances, like an accident or worse).

The second time should go beyond hurting. We now have someone who apparently doesn't get it.

The third time should be the third strike. Never drive again, and when they're caught, deep doodoo.

Bear in mind, I'm not condoning drinking and driving. But a beer or two with the guys after work can mean a DWI or impaired even a fair time after the last sip if you're stopped (figure an hour a beer).
    Oh, I didn't say anything about jail after the first time...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Here is my story, I made the huge mistake of driving drunk one night after to many drinks with some friends. It was a huge mistake in my life and I learned from it. I didn't put anyone's life in danger but my own. As soon as I left the bar parking lot I got pulled over. I didn't pass anyone on the street. It was almost 6 years ago, some people don't learn but most do. Some of the statements some of you guys are making are way off base and very harsh in my eyes. Now I do not condone this type of driving offense and it's a really bad one to make if you are in the running for a fire service or want to be in the running down the road.

I have learned from my mistake and moved on. I am currently a National Registered and State Registered Paramedic as well as a FAE on my department. To say you have ZERO chance of getting hired is way off base and not entirely true. I got hired on my department 3 years after getting my DUI and I have moved up in rank since then. I know many people that have DUI's that work for very big and very prominent fire departments.

Do I think DUI laws are way to lenient, yes they are! Are they a death wish in the fire service, for some departments yes but the majority no that's not completely true. Clean up your act and prove to the people interviewing you that you learned from the mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post

Not everyone has. And because a criminal offense may be a common offense, it doesn't make it any less criminal. If they are committing the first offense, they apparently don't "get it".

DWI occurs way to frequently because the punishment isn't harsh enough to deter, and getting convictions is difficult when the jury looks at the case and thinks "But for the Grace of God go I". Most other crimes that have the potential to cause death or serious bodily injury still remain felony offenses. But for some reason, society's tolerance for alcohol permeates the tolerance for DWI, and instead of deterring, society hands out one or more mulligans.
    FyredUp and islandfire03 like this.

Forum Member

I've seen people test high and interview well get passed over because of speeding tickets. DUI conviction would be a pretty tough hurdle to overcome in this neck of the woods.

Thread Information