Thread: Humat Valve

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Humat Valve

I know what it does, simply asking your thoughts...does it really boost the hydrant flow greatly?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Completely off topic: you are going to let us know the results of all of these questions aren't you? I'm curious to see which direction you all elect to go on this project (which I assume is either a new pumper or replacement of all of your water delivery means).
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

The western half of the DFW Metroplex uses them. The eastern half does not. Why? I have no idea?
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by billyleach View Post
    I know what it does, simply asking your thoughts...does it really boost the hydrant flow greatly?
    Flat out accurate answer: No. They cannot create water therefore generate greater flow, but they can allow you to pump at a higher pressure allowing the flow that's available to travel further or arrive at a higher pressure.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfwfirefighter View Post
    The western half of the DFW Metroplex uses them. The eastern half does not. Why? I have no idea?
    Some areas have good size mains but low pressure. Just a guess
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyleach View Post
    Humats cannot "boost" hydrant volume or pressure.

Humats allow an Engine Company to attach to the hydrant and boost pressure without having to shut down the hydrant in order to connect the boosting engine into the supply line. And yes, as long as you have available VOLUME, Humats work very well at what they are designed to do, when used correctly.

Name:  553048_4295375631121_871327025_n.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  35.5 KB

It's been a LONG time- I think about 15 years or more......But in this photo, if I remember right, I am supplying about 1750gpm through this 5" line, which is the beginning of a 3500' lay (with two engines in the line to boost.....) I think the hydrant had maybe 75psi...But all the volume you could ever want.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 10-18-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Was extremely effective on my previous VFD in northern VT where we had great flows but at very low pressures.

We would use a Humat (we called them 4-way valves) every time we made a hydrant and would put an engine on that hydrant for every working incident. They made a significant difference in our water supply situation.

My current VFD here in LA uses them as well, as does the Shreveport Fire Department. My current combo department connects a LDH directly to the hydrant and does not pump the hydrant as generally pressure is not an issue.

In this part of the world they are called Hydra-Assist valves. Again .... Funny how the fire service can have so many names for the same thing.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

FWDbuff hits the nail on the head. The HUMAT (and it's brother the Meushaw) allow you to hook up a supply line to the hydrant and get water while allowing a second engine to come in and draw water from the same hydrant and then pump the supply line going to the first engine without interupting the water flow at any point.

The HUMAT was invented by Hurley Matthews who was an officer at Baltimore County Fire Department Station 8 (next station over from mine).

The main difference between the HUMAT and the Meushaw is that the latter requires you to manually work the valves in the correct order (they are turned with a hydrant wrench), the HUMAT has one hand valve for opening the large opening to supply engine #2, but a flapper valve to automatically switch the flow to the pumping engine when the pressure exceeds that of the hydrant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    FWDbuff hits the nail on the head. The HUMAT (and it's brother the Meushaw) allow you to hook up a supply line to the hydrant and get water while allowing a second engine to come in and draw water from the same hydrant and then pump the supply line going to the first engine without interupting the water flow at any point.

The HUMAT was invented by Hurley Matthews who was an officer at Baltimore County Fire Department Station 8 (next station over from mine).

The main difference between the HUMAT and the Meushaw is that the latter requires you to manually work the valves in the correct order (they are turned with a hydrant wrench), the HUMAT has one hand valve for opening the large opening to supply engine #2, but a flapper valve to automatically switch the flow to the pumping engine when the pressure exceeds that of the hydrant.
    And that's exactly why they were so useful on my previous VFD.

The first in engine would have a dedicated water supply right away with it's own supply line even if the second due engine was 10 minutes behind, though generally, that was not the case.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Some areas have good size mains but low pressure. Just a guess
    I think it is more DFW metroplex is a large area with many depts and they do not all work the same

Thread Information