Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: US system of fire fighting more dangerous than other ones?

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default US system of fire fighting more dangerous than other ones?

    Hi,

    normally I would post this thread in the international section but it seems that this part of the forum is mostly deserted.

    I am a volunteer firefighter in bigger german city since five years. To get better in our daily business we try to compare different (international) tactical approaches to find ways to improve.

    In my opinion there are many things which could be learned. For example tactical ventilation is not very often used in Germany.

    The german firefighting system is in general a bit different to the one used in the USA. Every time the two systems are compared in discussions is mentioned, that there are a lots more cases of deadly incidents per year in the USA than in Germany. Although there a more active firefighters in Germany than in the USA. So I wondered if firefighting in the USA is more dangerous than in Germany? Or is the different system a reason?

    What do you think?

    At last i am sry if anything isn't understandable. English is notmy first language but i try to improve. Hopefully i choosed a adequate sub forum.


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    537

    Default

    I honestly do not have a enough knowledge on the german fire service to compare the two system and say that one is more dangerous than the other. However I am sure that there are many different factors that come into play in addition to the tactics employeed by both service. Just of the top of my head these come to mind

    Differences in building construction
    Different building codes and fire prevention code enforcement.
    Different social aspects and society views on fire and fire pevention
    Different population density and other rual versus urban factors
    Different training methods and firefighting tactics
    Different fire department cultures and society culture

    I think to compare the two is almost like trying to compare apples to oranges. Both our fruit but both are very different for a varity of reason. Now that does not mean that you can cannot compare and contrast the two to determine what might could be improved by one another.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

  3. #3
    Truckie SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,511

    Default

    Construction is a big difference.
    Life style is different, a vast amount of our structures are single family residence.
    A country that was built with a natural resource that was plentiful, cheap, and easy to build with-wood.
    Finally, but not least, but more controversial; personal freedom. I can build what I want depending on the AHJ, but with large sparsely populated areas, there may not be an AHJ. My cabin had 2 inspections; a state electrical inspection and a state septic inspection.
    So basically it really isn't inherently more dangerous as it is just different.
    Look in your neighborhood, how many stick built buildings do you have?
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,364

    Default

    Is it also true insurance in Germany does not pay as much as the US?

    And maybe fire incident is less in Germany??

    Also major factor of death in US vs Germany firefighters?

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Here is a PHENOMENAL piece from the USFA on the subject, from about 2 years ago. Read it when it first came out and it's still very interesting.

    http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/p...tics/v12i8.pdf

  6. #6
    Forum Member EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    2,971

    Default

    Let's not forget the types of firefighter fatalities in the US. Consider the non-fire things that are killing American firefighters:

    1. Heart attacks: We have a healthcare system that leaves some people without needed tests and medication. We also have a terrible diet and very sedentary lifestyle. So the firefighters who die of medical problems are more a reflection of an overall public health issue than of firefighting techniques or tactics.

    2. Vehicle accidents: The US is less densely populated than Deutschland, so our rural fire departments must travel longer distances. That lower density also means smaller populations supporting a department, leading to smaller budgets and resulting substandard apparatus that are more likely to be involved in accidents. So some of the blame goes to our topography and geography.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC


  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,208

    Default

    As Disraeli said, there's lies, damned lies, and statistics.

    The US paints a pretty broad brush regarding LODDs.

    A look at the 2012 preliminary report from USFA is subject to a lot of interpretation. F'rinstance, only 22 firefighters died on-scene at a fire out of the total of 81 firefighter deaths over all.

    Only 13 have "advancing hoseline" listed as a factor - and that includes wildland.

    32 of the deaths are listed as "not incident related," yet they're considered LODD.

    Before we can truly compare ourselves to other countries, we need to know how they compile their stats.

    http://apps.usfa.fema.gov/firefighte...drYearEnd=2012

    Keep in mind that I'm not taking away from anyone's sacrifice here - but the stats pretty plainly show that most of us aren't dying directly due to firefighting - there are myriad other factors involved.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Where are you getting the number of firefighters from? The US has 4x the population of Germany (316 million vs 81 million), so it seems unlikely to me that Germany has more firefighters.

    That alone could account for the higher number of fireground fatalities.

  9. #9
    Truckie SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    As Disraeli said, there's lies, damned lies, and statistics.

    The US paints a pretty broad brush regarding LODDs.

    A look at the 2012 preliminary report from USFA is subject to a lot of interpretation. F'rinstance, only 22 firefighters died on-scene at a fire out of the total of 81 firefighter deaths over all.

    Only 13 have "advancing hoseline" listed as a factor - and that includes wildland.

    32 of the deaths are listed as "not incident related," yet they're considered LODD.

    Before we can truly compare ourselves to other countries, we need to know how they compile their stats.

    http://apps.usfa.fema.gov/firefighte...drYearEnd=2012

    Keep in mind that I'm not taking away from anyone's sacrifice here - but the stats pretty plainly show that most of us aren't dying directly due to firefighting - there are myriad other factors involved.
    In many cases, the usual MO is to toss the US fire service under the bus.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  10. #10
    Forum Member EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    2,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    In many cases, the usual MO is to toss the US fire service under the bus.
    Yes. Apples and oranges. Somebody finds a different country with better (apparently) LODD stats and then butt-plunges the US fire service about why it's so.
    SPFDRum and Miller337 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC


  11. #11
    Forum Member FiremanLyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Using Wiki:

    Germany has 1,383,730 firefighters, mostly volunteer.

    US has 1,100,000 firefighters (756,000 volunteer; 344,000 career).

    With populations of 80,399,300 (Germany) and 316,909,000 (US) that means that Germany has 1 firefighter per 58 people and the US has 1 firefighter per 288 people.

    Per square mile: There are 10 German firefighters per square mile in Germany (137,841 sq miles), and and 3.4 US firefighters per US square mile (3,794,101 sq miles). Then again, just population wise, Germany has 583 people per square mile while the US has 88 people per sq mile.

    So the US has less active firefighters than a country 1/36th the size. Sounds like Germany can "dog pile" a fire and put it out.

    So questions for Kernesky;

    -How many firefighters are on an initial alarm residential structure fire? Our NFPA 1710 standard has 15 to 17 firefighters arriving within 8 minutes of recipt of an alarm. The first company arriving 6 minutes after dispatch with 4 members. (Not many departments can meet this to begin with)

    -You mention ventilation is not often used. Ventilation (either vertical or horizontal, natural or mechanical) is a mainstay of American firefighting. Without proper ventilation an interior attack is made much more difficult and dangerous. Without an interior attack you cannot protect lives of people trapped in buildings (search, rescue, evacuation). So question is: Do you guys go interior much?

    Hope you reply. I am interested.
    ~Drew
    Firefighter/EMT/Technical Rescue
    USAR TF Rescue Specialist

  12. #12
    the 4-1-4 Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    Once upon a time, a very wise boss of mine stopped me at a greater alarm. It was a standard 2.5 story wood frame (essentially a three story home) that was fully involved and extended to the north and south exposure, as well as a rear cottage and garage. It was impressive, and very impressionable to me, as a 6 months out of recruit school cub.

    As a good boss does, he was teaching me some things about what was going on. The entire scene was still very surreal to me; basically, 5 buildings burning and five alarms worth of companies and a half dozen special calls (we only register to five alarms). Guys and rigs and handlines were everywhere. As a good cub, I was stuck to my boss's hip. I think we came in on the third alarm, or so.
    Well, he stopped me at one point and said; look, this is how we put fires out. It's done with manpower. It isn't water or ladders, it's manpower. Plain and simple.

    Watching that scene, there were guys everywhere. His words are true. It is manpower that puts fires out.

    Maybe Germany is onto something.
    RFDACM02 likes this.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post
    Once upon a time, a very wise boss of mine stopped me at a greater alarm. It was a standard 2.5 story wood frame (essentially a three story home) that was fully involved and extended to the north and south exposure, as well as a rear cottage and garage. It was impressive, and very impressionable to me, as a 6 months out of recruit school cub.

    As a good boss does, he was teaching me some things about what was going on. The entire scene was still very surreal to me; basically, 5 buildings burning and five alarms worth of companies and a half dozen special calls (we only register to five alarms). Guys and rigs and handlines were everywhere. As a good cub, I was stuck to my boss's hip. I think we came in on the third alarm, or so.
    Well, he stopped me at one point and said; look, this is how we put fires out. It's done with manpower. It isn't water or ladders, it's manpower. Plain and simple.

    Watching that scene, there were guys everywhere. His words are true. It is manpower that puts fires out.

    Maybe Germany is onto something.
    Manpower is great. My department can absolutely flood (pun intended) the fireground with manpower. But what good are they if they are not properly utilized? A bunch of guys running around doesn't put out fires. A sufficient number of streams flowing the required amount of water puts fires out. And properly placed firefighters searching and overhauling effectively will support the function of extinguishment. I've seen scenes with just too many people who were not operating efficiently. It is counterproductive and can be dangerous. Like everything else, I believe it is a proper balance that is needed. Manpower yes, but they must be properly using streams, ladders, handtools, apparatus, etc. or they are just part of the problem. Proper supervision is also paramount. No freelancing, cowboys, etc. Any one not productively engaged must be held back in reserve. For the larger fires like the one you described, a good IC who can size up the scene and come up with a strategy that works and a backup plan in case it doesn't can be the most important factor.

  14. #14
    the 4-1-4 Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    You want to nit pick and pull apart replies while missing the greater point, so be it.
    SPFDRum, FyredUp and Trkco1 like this.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post
    You want to nit pick and pull apart replies while missing the greater point, so be it.

    What was the greater point if not that manpower puts out fires?

  16. #16
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,655

    Default

    Manpower is the answer, and I full well know exactly what Jasper 45 meant. When we as professional firefighters, paid or volunteer, talk about manpower in the sense that Jasper 45 did, we mean properly trained and doing the right thing. Not a bunch of yard breathers, or T-shirt firefighters, milling around trying to look good but not get dirty or really do any work.

    Come out into small rural volly land where sometime the entire response of the original department during the day may be 4 to 6 guys and the pucker factor is strong doing the best you can while waiting for mutual aid to arrive. At my former career FD we knew we had 13 guys minimum coming on a working still, and twice that on a box, I believe Milwaukee runs 3 and 2 and that gets them 20 plus guys on a working still.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

    This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Manpower is the answer, and I full well know exactly what Jasper 45 meant. When we as professional firefighters, paid or volunteer, talk about manpower in the sense that Jasper 45 did, we mean properly trained and doing the right thing. Not a bunch of yard breathers, or T-shirt firefighters, milling around trying to look good but not get dirty or really do any work.

    Come out into small rural volly land where sometime the entire response of the original department during the day may be 4 to 6 guys and the pucker factor is strong doing the best you can while waiting for mutual aid to arrive. At my former career FD we knew we had 13 guys minimum coming on a working still, and twice that on a box, I believe Milwaukee runs 3 and 2 and that gets them 20 plus guys on a working still.
    Same here.

    Combo department we easily put 10-12 volunteers plus our 5 paid staff on a scene during the day, and at times, more.

    At night we'll easily put 20-25 volunteers on scene plus 2 career staff.

    And at times, that's actually too much staffing.

    VFD we may be 2-3 of our guys on-scene during the day plus 5 AMA.

    At night that number may rise to 6 or 7 of our guys, but could just as easily be 2 or 3, plus the AMA.

    Two very different operations based on ... Manpower.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  18. #18
    Forum Member Theusje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Using Wiki:

    Germany has 1,383,730 firefighters, mostly volunteer.

    US has 1,100,000 firefighters (756,000 volunteer; 344,000 career).

    With populations of 80,399,300 (Germany) and 316,909,000 (US) that means that Germany has 1 firefighter per 58 people and the US has 1 firefighter per 288 people.

    Per square mile: There are 10 German firefighters per square mile in Germany (137,841 sq miles), and and 3.4 US firefighters per US square mile (3,794,101 sq miles). Then again, just population wise, Germany has 583 people per square mile while the US has 88 people per sq mile.

    So the US has less active firefighters than a country 1/36th the size. Sounds like Germany can "dog pile" a fire and put it out.

    So questions for Kernesky;

    -How many firefighters are on an initial alarm residential structure fire? Our NFPA 1710 standard has 15 to 17 firefighters arriving within 8 minutes of recipt of an alarm. The first company arriving 6 minutes after dispatch with 4 members. (Not many departments can meet this to begin with)

    -You mention ventilation is not often used. Ventilation (either vertical or horizontal, natural or mechanical) is a mainstay of American firefighting. Without proper ventilation an interior attack is made much more difficult and dangerous. Without an interior attack you cannot protect lives of people trapped in buildings (search, rescue, evacuation). So question is: Do you guys go interior much?

    Hope you reply. I am interested.
    I was surprised to find out that Germany has so many firefigthers. However if you look at the Wikipedia page in german you'll find out that those 1,383,730 firefighters include 250,000 junior firefighters aka kids aged 12 to 18 that don't respond. This shouldn't change your conclusion based on the numbers of firefighters in both countries.

    Doing a quick calculation for Belgium I find that we have about 1 firefighter per 550 people. Somehow Belgium still hasn't burnt down nor firefighters are dying at an alarming rate. But Belgium is also much smaller. Apples and oranges as others said and I join this conclusion. Why does this question always pop up: stereotypes and lack of information.

    Initial response should be 15 firefighters (2 engines staffed with 6 ff's and one ladder or tanker staffed with 3 ff's) and one chief.

    About ventilation: I would say different building materials but's it a complex matter.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Germany also has conscription, and becoming a volunteer firefighter was allowed in lieu of military service, which boosts the number of firefighters.

  20. #20
    Forum Member Snarff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    65

    Default

    This topic is an interesting one to say the least, as far as LODD I think our numbers in the US are somewhat inflated compared to others. Mostly because of the criteria used to say what a LODD is and is not. This is not to say the job didn't directly affect the death of said firefighter, but to me dying of a heart attack 24hrs after shift is far different than someone advancing a hose line and getting caught in a flash over situation.
    That being said I think if a death can directly be attributed to the job the family deserve's benefits. As others have said just looking at the LODD numbers and not reading into the actual cause of death, I can see why the US fire service seems more dangerous.

    Code enforcement or lack of is another reason many US firefighters get hurt. There are many counties in the US who have no fire marshal, no inspectors. When a house or even a business in some cases is built it may have one maybe two inspections by an inspector who may or may not have any experience with fire code. In most of these areas they do not have the money to employee a fire marshal and when a fire happens the local sheriff's office takes over the investigation and in most cases they do not have the training nor equipment to carry out such investigations, So they turn if over to the state. With this system its easy to see how illegal modifications to buildings never get noticed until there is a fire and firefighters are hurt.

    Building construction in the US probably has something to do with it, but I do not know enough about the construction of houses in Europe to comment about this. I do know that the new houses being built in the US are pretty much tinder boxes though.

    As for manpower, in my experience here its either feast or famine. You either get the full alarm of 3 Engines and a ladder with 6 guys on each rig and you got 16 guys nut to butt in a 10x10 room. Then you could end up like the last fire I was on with one engine with 4 and ladder with 4. In those cases you are working your *** off to get the things you need done.

    Like others have said apples to oranges between the US and other countries I mean just look at the differences of the department you run at and one of your neighboring departments. Everybody finds something that works for them. What works for you may not work for others.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 11:32 PM
  2. Fighting Feelings For Fighting Fires
    By fireunderdog in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM
  4. SMOKE or FIRE? Which is most dangerous?
    By PaulGRIMWOOD in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 12:13 PM
  5. Fighting Fire Down Under
    By SmokenJoe in forum Wildland Firefighting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2002, 11:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts