Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By islandfire03

Thread: WTB Light-Rescue Body in CA (or close)

Forum Member

Default WTB Light-Rescue Body in CA (or close)

We're actually looking for a used 4x4 Light Rescue truck, but I've been searching all the usual online and hardcopy truck vendors (TruckPaper, TraderOnline, GovDeals, GovLiquidation, etc...) with no success, so I'm now trying to source the cab & chassis and rescue body separately.

Specs are: Single rear wheel, cab-height, enclosed box for an 8 or 9 foot bed.
    Something like this:
    http://harbortruck.blogspot.com/2010...by-harbor.html

Someone out there has an enclosed quick-attack or rescue rig buried in the back of the barn, right?

I would drive anywhere in California or Oregon, probably Washington and Nevada too for the right box.

FWIW, the Cab & Chassis we're looking for is an F250 or F350 standard or extra-cab 4x4 with the 7.3 diesel and less than 150k miles. Yeah, we're kind of particular...

Thanks for looking!

Forum Member
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Thanks for your response, but FireTruckMall is high on my search list, with no luck yet. I appreciate your time though.

Forum Member

Give some more specifications of what you want.

Forum Member

Well, at this point we would be plenty happy with just finding the rescue body, which would be a single rear wheel (i.e. cab width, not dually) cab-height enclosed box for an 8 or 9 foot bed 3/4 or 1-ton truck. Rollup doors would be a plus but not essential. Thanks for looking!

Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTFC-MDgk84

This is a good locally built unit.

Forum Member

I like it. A little bigger than what we're looking for (dually's and above cab) but a nice buildup. The country we work in out here is steep with thick timber, so I want to keep our profile as small as I can.

Did I mention that we're an all-volunteer rescue team on a bake-sale budget? Looking for a used body if we can find one, failing that we'll probably just enclose and build onto a standard contractor's utility bed.

Thanks for looking!

Forum Member

Check with your local electric company or phone/ cable company. They often have used bodies and might make a deal for it.
    Are you a 501c3 corporation??
    If you are they could take a tax credit for a donation & might make it real cheap for you.
    BFD5408 likes this.

Forum Member

Good tip; we are a 501(c)3, I'll look into that!

Forum Member

Contact your state,they sometimes have programs to sell surplus rigs cheap or no cost to non profit or public agencies. What is the closet city to you?

Forum Member

I've been following the state surplus pretty close, but its not the most common build that we're after. Might pick up the cab & chassis that way though. We're about 200 miles north of San Francisco; not close to much of anything!

Forum Member

My local SAR team uses a 4x4 SUV an two cargo trailers and a 4x4 crew cab truck with a canopy. Good easy set up. Trailers also give a way to cache equipment and allow members with a good tow 4x4 to get equipment when there is a call.

Forum Member

Yeah, we have our swiftwater gear in a cargo trailer and our rope rescue gear in a 3/4 ton with a camper shell (and a bedslide; makes a huge difference!) and it functions alright, but we've definitely had situations where we've had to transfer gear from the trailer into 4x4 pickups to haul it in the last few miles. And considering that our equipment cache doesn't overload a 3/4 ton, there's no reason it shouldn't be in a rig that can Get There.

Thread Information