Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Savannah Fire & Emergency Services (Georgia)

While most fire departments across the nation are reducing staff, Savannah Fire is increasing staff. Currently, 14 out of 21 Savannah Fire apparatus are staffed at all times with a minimum of four firefighters. The other apparatus are staffed with a minimum of three to four firefighters. Last week, the City Manager decided to comply with a recommendation by the National Fire Protection Agency to have all apparatus staffed with four firefighters at all times. This will mean an increase in the minimum staffing per day for Savannah Fire from 82 to 89. To achieve this, the department must hire a minimum of 27 additional firefighters. With current vacancies and several stations proposed to open in the future it means if you want a job, apply now!

Currently, there are 12 stations in planning. Some of these stations are double lung stations.

Currently we have 15 vacancies.

The next class will be the first quarter of next year. This class will be 25-30 people.

Feel free to ask any questions and we will answer them as soon as possible.
    Last edited by fptacin; 10-22-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Forum Member

When will we be able to submit apps again? Job posting says first 5 days of the month, and no apps will be accepted in November. I'll keep my eyes on the job posting. I would imagine you all get a ton of apps being in the location you're in and the history your dept. has? Thanks for any info.

PPH
    Forum Member

Has anyone tried to get in touch with Heather from HR that handles police and fire? I applied earlier in the year and need to take the written still. I've sent two emails and left a voicemail and haven't heard anything back. I'd like to be sure that I can test so I can plan appropriately for it.

Forum Member

Heather is not your point of contact anymore, call 912-651-6484 and ask for Shannon, she is now the HR for the fire department.

PPH
    Forum Member

Awesome, thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Truckie: In all honesty, we don't get the amount of apps you would think. Under 1000 easily.

PPH: send me an email at fptacin@yahoo.com and I can personally check on this tomorrow for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

PPH: Check your email

The official class being 14-01 has been announced and has a start date of February 10th.

PPH
    Forum Member

fptacin...thank you! I spoke with Shannon via email and am all set to test on the 15th!

MembersZone Subscriber

Last week, Fire Administration presented the new Fire Protection Plan to the City Council. This plan is essentially an 8 year plan. The plan calls for 10 new stations and 183 personnel. Some of the stations that are to built already have companies in temporary stations.

The breakdown is:

7 Engines
    3 Trucks
    2 Heavy Rescues
    1 Battalion Chief
    Last edited by fptacin; 11-03-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Forum Member

Fptacin thanks for all the latest info on the department. Have the future recruits of the class of 14-01 already been notified that they're in or is HR still deciding who to hire? I ask because I recently took the CPAT and interview and passed both on Sept. 26 and was told that I would be notified in a couple weeks with what to expect next in the process. I haven't been contacted yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Aleeon: The 14-01 class has not been chosen and will not be chosen until after the December CPAT and interviews.

PPH
    Forum Member

I tested yesterday and passed. From what they said those of us that tested yesterday won't be considered or interviewed for the upcoming class(s) which was disappointing. We'll be in the mix to be hired towards the end of 2014. Oh well, good luck to those to those eligible for the upcoming class!

Forum Member

PPH,

Please send me your contact information (name, phone number, and email address), I'm a recruiter for Savannah Fire and I was told by the Chief that if you tested and passed the written in November you can still be hired for this next upcoming class. However HR has mislead people before and I just want to get clarification from the Chief to make sure that the process has not changed. If you know anyone else that is in the same situation, tell them to email me too. Lward@savannahga.gov. I will call the Chief in morning to verify what Hr told you. I apologize for the confusion but please continue to prepare for your next stages in the process IF what HR told you is wrong. December is CPAT testing and Interview Testing. GOOD LUCK and I'll find out that answer for you as soon as possible.

Master Firefighter Laron Ward

PPH
    Forum Member

MFF Ward,

I just sent you an email. Thanks for your help!

Forum Member

I know this thread was from a while back, but I am hoping to test in feb 2014 and I am just wondering if theres any study guide for the test? Im also wondering if anyone knows how many people take the test and if having a bachelors helps you in the hiring process. Thanks! Greg

Forum Member

Was wondering if any one in the current process heard back from the department? I did my round of interviews and tests in october of 2013. Thanks guys and good luck!

Forum Member

I tested in December and was wondering the same thing. From what I was told we were supposed to hear sometime in this timeframe. I contacted HR but noone has gotten back to me. Hoping to hear soon!

Forum Member

Yes, I heard the same. Hopefully we hear something soon!

Forum Member

Hey Engine did it seem like in October alot of people were getting through the interview? I ask because when I interviewed in December I was the fourth to go in my time slot and all four of us moved on, not sure if they just weren't grading them that tough or if we all just had good interviews. I'm trying to get a sense of how many people are left in the process.

Update:
    Just called HR and apparently were getting emails one way or another by the end of the day tomorrow. Also, for anyone else in the process reading this the secretary said they're very busy so hold off on phone calls for this week.
    Last edited by E1backstep; 01-23-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Forum Member

Just received an email. Unfortunately I did not make the cut. Good luck to all of you out there. And remember, this job is worth it, no matter how long it takes to obtain. Good Luck!

Would love to hear some success stories. Does me good to see people achieve their goals.

Thread Information