Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Ladder confidence

Forum Member

On a side note, I know how you feel about falling from heights. This is my own personal story. I was helping my father and had to climb a ladder (one of those little giant ladders) to get on and off of a mezzanine that was about maybe 8ft or more off of the ground. It was tall enough that the ladder did not reach the top of it. I had no problem climbing the ladder and getting on the mezzanine, but getting down was a problem. I went to get on the ladder so that I could climb down. Well, I stepped wrong on the ladder and it came straight out from underneath me. I fell the whole way down and landed really hard on the concrete floor. I only sprained my wrist, but I felt like I had broken every bone in my body. I could not walk for 2 days straight. Falling from a ladder is my biggest fear, but I know to be in this profession, I am going to have to work really hard to get over my fear. Keep working on it and don't give up.

Forum Member

I completely agree with you. In the fire service, I get criticism everyday either good or bad. I was taught to take the bad as a learning lesson and take the good as a learning lesson also because not one person is perfect and to bad mouth others who probably have more years in the fire service than before you were even born. So dont get frustrated with criticism, or go be a COP!
    FF14 and Highschoolvolunteer like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gino_Galli View Post
    I completely agree with you. In the fire service, I get criticism everyday either good or bad. I was taught to take the bad as a learning lesson and take the good as a learning lesson also because not one person is perfect and to bad mouth others who probably have more years in the fire service than before you were even born. So dont get frustrated with criticism, or go be a COP!
    My intent wasn't to bad mouth; it just seems atleast to me, that everything that Fyred has said (on this thread and others) has a negative connotation/under-bite to it. Criticism isn't my issue, it is his (perceived) attitude. My philosophy is that I respect everyone until they give me a reason not to; disrespect towards myself is one of those reasons-- there was some reasoning, not just an arbitrary 'eff you'.

Forum Member

Buddy ,you better not get out in the saw briars, with skin that thin, you would bleed out at an eight of a mile. Fyredup had a valid point about you saying you didn't like pulling hose. And you arguing against the concept of a TRUE rescue company having only well seasoned members made no sense. Do you really believe that guys such as yourself really belong on a rescue company. A good rescue company member is a "get it done" personality, they are problem solvers, when they encounter a situation that they have never encountered before, they don't search their smartphones for an app. They instinctively apply their years of life lessons and training and not only come up with a plan A -but usually back up b/c/d . They may not have a degree in physics , but they dang sure understand the concept. Welcome to life buddy, you throw out a bunch of question, guess what---you probably wont always get the answer that you want.
    ?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post
    My intent wasn't to bad mouth; it just seems atleast to me, that everything that Fyred has said (on this thread and others) has a negative connotation/under-bite to it. Criticism isn't my issue, it is his (perceived) attitude. My philosophy is that I respect everyone until they give me a reason not to; disrespect towards myself is one of those reasons-- there was some reasoning, not just an arbitrary 'eff you'.
    I NEVER attacked you or your fire department. I asked you a question about something you posted and stated an opinion about something else you posted. What's funniest about it is you have blatanly lied about what I have said and turned this into some sort of vendetta against me. You are so typical of the cry baby persona of your generation. If anyone challenges you, or questions what YOU in fact posted right here on these forums, you get all p i s s y and start whining about it. Go back to your youngster buddies, pat yourselves on the back, and keep telling yourself that wet behind the ears, snot nosed probies, make the best rescue company ever to hit the fire service. I will sit here and quietly chuckle at your naivete.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-10-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    slackjawedyokel and FF14 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

It was in my opinion that you were 'attacking' me. If there was a misunderstanding then I do apologise-- there is no personal vendetta, quite contrarily I do value much of what you say. Anyway, lets move on eh?

Forum Member

It was in my opinion that you were 'attacking' me. If there was a misunderstanding then I do apologise-- there is no personal vendetta, quite contrarily I do value much of what you say. Anyway, lets move on eh?
    I will let it drop...I will tell you flat out I will not tolerate you lying about what I have said. This is twice now you have gone off on tangents in response to what I have said to you. Please go back and reread this very topic and see how many supported your position and how many supported mine. That might be a clue as to which one of us was wrong.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Maybe Fyred Up is the type cat that writes reality checks without regard to sensitivity in the name of keeping you safer? My Drill Instructors were absolute bastards in the USMC, but they were training me to STAY ALIVE.

In my opinion, every fire hall in this country NEEDS a guy that will tell you what you NEED to hear vs what you WANT to hear.
    slackjawedyokel and FF14 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Andy View Post
    Maybe Fyred Up is the type cat that writes reality checks without regard to sensitivity in the name of keeping you safer? My Drill Instructors were absolute bastards in the USMC, but they were training me to STAY ALIVE.

In my opinion, every fire hall in this country NEEDS a guy that will tell you what you NEED to hear vs what you WANT to hear.
    Thank you for understanding what I was trying to do. I even warned him at one point saying pardon my bluntness.
    FF14 likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Yeah , you and me are dinosaurs fyredup, I sometimes forget to say "If you don't care ,PLEASE move away from that falling glass that might hit you and possibly cause you bodily injury" "That is ,if you don't mind"
    Some reason ,I still want to holler "LOOK OUT" - I need to retake my PC / butt hurt classes I guess.
    FF14 likes this.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Yeah , you and me are dinosaurs fyredup, I sometimes forget to say "If you don't care ,PLEASE move away from that falling glass that might hit you and possibly cause you bodily injury" "That is ,if you don't mind"
    Some reason ,I still want to holler "LOOK OUT" - I need to retake my PC / butt hurt classes I guess.
    Oh, believe me I have been told I am a dinosaur. In the context it is usually used I take it as a compliment!
    FF14 likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

HSV, my suggestion is this: If you get responses you don't appreciate or you perceive as negative/condescending/argumentative, you are under no obligation to respond. If someone asks a legitimate question or voices a legitimate concern, then politely answer. Choose your words and your responses wisely and sparingly, just as you would in a face to face conversation. Not everyone expresses themselves or their thoughts tacitly and tactfully. That doesn't mean what they have to say holds no value, it just means you may have to sift through the response a little more as the value may not be as readily apparent.

I think the general concept several have tried to express is there is no substitute for experience. Know your limitations. That's the biggest mistake any firefighter, especially a fairly new one, can make. Don't take comments regarding your lack of training or experience as a personal insult. They aren't intended to be. The general gist of what I gathered from the commentary was that, given your current level, it was being suggested that you start off elsewhere and work your way up to a rescue company.

Thread Information