Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: prototype water truck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Just a small "recess or well" in the bottom of the tank with the plumbing for the tank to pump attached there. Lets you pretty much use all the water in the tank. I have seen some tanker pumpers with one in each end to allow for slope. Most tankers even if they have a small sump, the dump valve is pretty much level with the floor. So the sump stays wet (which I guess isn't a bad thing as far a priming the pump.)
    Gotcha, that was my first guess. The tanker I'm must familiar with had the main outlet plumbed directly out of the bottom of the tank. Being a rounded tank (similar to the OP's) helped, but when pumping on any kind of slope it still couldn't deliver the full payload. It occurred to me that an outlet at each end would pretty much solve this problem, so I'm not surprised to hear that its been done. When we get to building a tender for our dept I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the education!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFD5408 View Post
    [RE: FF715's 6x6]

Nice build! If you were pumping out of it you might find that you have a hard time getting the last few hundred gallons out (unless you're on flat ground), but as long as you're dumping you're probably OK. Small price to pay for the lower center of gravity, and most of the time it doesn't hurt to keep a little water for SHTF, or to start a draft.

If you ever have an FAE who can't keep his foot out of it, you might considered adding (or adjusting) a governor to keep the RPM's down.

Looks good!
    Thanks for the compliments. For us it wouldn't be too hard to add a pump. It's hard to see in the picture, but there is a small sump at the back where the dump is so that we can get the tank pretty much completly empty. We could easily put a pump outlet on that sump and add a transfer pump.

As far as the speed issue, everything on this truck is mechanical so the only way to slow down the top end would be to turn down the power or put a block under the throttle, both of which have been discussed if it becomes necesssry. Like I said before, we police our drivers very well, they don't get a second chance if we catch them speeding or being unsafe, we also do a lot of driver training so it not much of an issue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Yes, it appears you do have a different idea...

I want a rig designed and built for the job. Not something cobbled together with surplus parts that has a far too high center of gravity and no storage for even basic equipment like a fill hose and hydrant bag.

The reality is too this guy probably works for a small company that if one of their trucks results in the serious injury or death of a firefighter will not have the financial backing to pay proper damages if any at all.
    Again, I want a truck designed for the job as well, and I agree that the tank on the truck needs to be lowered and re-engineered, even if that means taking 500g off it's capicity.

My point was that I very much like the concept for this truck .. A basic tanker with no other function.

Keeping it as short as possible (while keeping the tank safe) with a bare minimum of other stuff so that the truck can be as quick (notice I did not say fast) and nibble as possible ithg one job .. Tank water.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Again, I want a truck designed for the job as well, and I agree that the tank on the truck needs to be lowered and re-engineered, even if that means taking 500g off it's capicity.

My point was that I very much like the concept for this truck .. A basic tanker with no other function.

Keeping it as short as possible (while keeping the tank safe) with a bare minimum of other stuff so that the truck can be as quick (notice I did not say fast) and nibble as possible ithg one job .. Tank water.
    Again my problem with this "tender" design is it isn't a design at all. It is taking a military truck chassis and a surplus military tank and cobbling them together with some "snazzy" mostly useless body work with not a single compartment and a foldatank bracket that is ridiculously high off the ground.

To me the only redeeming quality this rig might have is low price. But like the saying goes "The sting of low quality lasts long after the joy of low price."
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Again my problem with this "tender" design is it isn't a design at all. It is taking a military truck chassis and a surplus military tank and cobbling them together with some "snazzy" mostly useless body work with not a single compartment and a foldatank bracket that is ridiculously high off the ground.

To me the only redeeming quality this rig might have is low price. But like the saying goes "The sting of low quality lasts long after the joy of low price."
    Agreed.

The truck needs to be better engineered as compared to being "hobbled together", and I agree that the tank bracket needs to be repositioned.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking at the supplied photographs, and taking some "Kentucky windage" on weights and centers of gravity for the chassis and the tank... I estimate that the loaded weight will approach 40,000 lbs with the center of gravity around 52 inches. On the tilt table the rig would fall over at about a 40% grade in the horizontal direction. As for road stability, at a normal 2 lane roadway intersection with 50 ft. right-of-way, an experienced driver will begin his turn befor the intersection, cutting across the opposite lanes of travel and then back into the proper lane on an outside curve, so I assumed a 50 ft. radius. At 25 mph, there would be a 34,000 lb centripital force, and at 20 mph there would be a 22,000 lb force. Taking the center between the duals as the pivot point (36" from the centerline) it would take about 25,000 lbs of force to turn the rig over. So there is a good possibility of overturn at 22 mph on a normal outside to outside intersection turn. Turning the other way from inside to inside travel lane, the radius reduces to about 30 ft. and the forces at 25 mph rise to 54,000 lbs and at 15 mph it would still be 20,000 lbs of force. On a good concrete or macadam road the friction coefficient between the rubber tire and road can reach about 60% so that would be a 24,000 lb grip or slide pressure. With only 25,000 lbs needed to cause turn-over, there is a very good probability that this rig would roll before it slid sideways. You might have a better chance on dirt, but only until the tires hit a ditch or curb, and then it would roll anyway. Many years ago my department built a "T" tank on a Mack B chassis. The top of the 2,000 gal tank was below the Mack's rear window. This was very stable and the design aided in the emptying of the load with the sump at the bottom of the "T". Multiple fill lines, large vents and rapid dump design are essential for any tanker shuttles. Fill rates of 1,000 gpm to 2,000 gpm should be the norm, while initial dump should be at least 1,500 gpm for 80% of the load. Internal pressures must be minimized with large vent openings when filling at rates above 1,000 gpm.
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Agreed.

The truck needs to be better engineered as compared to being "hobbled together", and I agree that the tank bracket needs to be repositioned.
    Its COBBLED not hobbled, you gonna live down South, learn ta talk right.
    ?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Its COBBLED not hobbled, you gonna live down South, learn ta talk right.
    Even as a life long northerner I know the word is cobbled...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Even as a life long northerner I know the word is cobbled...
    Yeah , HOBBLED is what you would be after rolling that dude over a couple of times.
    ?

Forum Member

Yeah , HOBBLED is what you would be after rolling that dude over a couple of times.
    You'd be lucky if you were only hobbled... I think you have more chance of being a NIOSH example.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default prototype water truck

Hobbled is what you do to a horse at night so they don't wander off to far.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Hobbled is what you do to a horse at night so they don't wander off to far.
    not just horses --my ex wife used to use that same technique ,to keep me from wandering. (she also used a hacimore on me, but that's a whole new topic)
    ?

not just horses --my ex wife used to use that same technique ,to keep me from wandering. (she also used a hacimore on me, but that's a whole new topic)
    Reminds me of a great joke.

A hillbilly couple marries and heads out on their honeymoon.

Upon arriving at the hotel, the bride says, "You go 'n park the truck an' I'll go git us a room."

So the groom heads for the parking lot while his love heads to the front desk, where she is met by a clerk.

"Me n' mah husband jist got murried, and we need us a room," she says.

"Certainly, ma'am," the clerk replies. "Would you like the bridal suite?"

The bride's eyes get big and she replies, "First of all, I'm a murried woman, so don't be callin' me sweet," she says.

"And second, I don't need no bridle, I'll just hold 'im by his ears like I always do!"
    slackjawedyokel likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information