Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FyredUp

Thread: Sticky situation

Forum Member

Default Sticky situation

Brothers need a little advice.

I'm a 5 yr guy assigned driver/medic of an engine company. Recently I along with 3 others were spoken to about our attitudes more importantly referencing past experience's. 2 weeks later I get a letter that I'm being transferred to another shift and a 2 yr guy is getting my spot and I'm riding the meat wagon. Our boss is a dictator. His way or the highway. The letter referenced contract language "For the proper and efficient operation of the fire department." Our boss has used this a disciplinary tool in the past, however denies. He won't let qualified guys ride his rescue truck etc. Our union has a lot of good old town boys that are only familiar with our department and accept the way our boss abuses and disrespects the membership. Union president went into the office and inquired he was recited the transfer paperwork verbatim and was reassured it was Not discipline. I call BS. Is this a grievable topic?

A little back track on this topic. This all stemmed from another union member running up to the office after a closed union meeting. Blabbing union business to the boss. Is there anything as a union body we can do about this? We're fed up to say the least!

Thanks

Forum Member

Uh, you thread is a little vague...
    Evidently you and three others had "attitutudes" that required someone to talk to you guys, that seems to be somewhat of a problem. This sounds like something that you guys as a Union needs to hash out. You all need to get on the same page it sounds like. Kinda hard for us out here in Internetland to get a handle on it, especially just seeing one side.

Forum Member

I concur with johnsb, it's a little vague. However as you apparently have been verbally counseled prior to this action, I have a few questions: (by the way, former IAFF shop steward here.....)
    -Were you informed that this verbal counseling was on or off the record?
    -Were you offered or allowed to have a Union Rep present during the verbal counseling?
    -Was a record of this verbal counseling placed into your jacket?
    -Was anyone from your municipality's HR Office present for, or notified that this verbal counseling would take place?
    -Did you receive any kind of counseling (verbal or written or otherwise) for the previous "attitude adjustments?"

Due to the language in your contract (which many if not all contracts contain similar language giving management the right to transfer personnel as seen fit) If the answer to all of the above is NO, then it officially never happened, and cannot be used against you in any way. That being said, if several of you received transfer orders, and this Supervisor has done the same in the past to others, then I would get everyone on board, file a Hostile Workplace charge, and also a ULP (unfair labor practice claim) at the same time. I would try to do this with the support of the Union, however if the "good old boys" wont do it, then you can proceed to do these actions without the support of the union. You will of course pee people off, but if you want justice it may be your only option. Also consider cornering the Union President and tell him (off the record) to get on board and get with the times, because he can be voted out as fast as he was voted in.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Or maybe he's a dick with an attitude problem only giving us half the story.

Just saying. I haven't got a clue, but it always amazes me that people bring internal FD issues that their local Union reps should be able to answer to the internet looking for some angle to deal with the problem.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

Well, now that you said it the same thing crossed my mind. But he did say several in the past got "transferred" in the same way, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Just saying. I haven't got a clue, but it always amazes me that people bring internal FD issues that their local Union reps should be able to answer to the internet looking for some angle to deal with the problem.

Again, he mentioned that the Union was a "good old boys" club- so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But I agree with both of your observations.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The solution to which, obviously, is punish him with an ambulance assignment where his attitude won't be a problem. Smh

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

AND POOF!!! He never returns to comment on what was said or fill in details.

If he has an attitude problem driving the engine, which on my career FD was a damn sweet gig...I rest on my previous statements.

Frankly, anyone in the career fire service that applies at a fire department that runs ems and then gets an attitude over having to run ems is either a moron or a fool. Did they think they were special and would be exempted from it?
    ffbam24 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

or he could just put on his big boy pants and do his job the way he was hired to do. If you don't like it quit. There are a hundred people standing in line for your position.

Thread Information