Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Where to go from here?

I'm a deaf guy. I have a few years of wild land firefight under my belt. I'm going to get a EMT certificate soon.

However here's the thing... I'd like to venture into other kind of firefighting or rescue job if possible. Such as blowout, structure, or even oversea contractor.

However there are just so many classes offered that I'm just so lost at which one to take to best increase my chance and the fact that there are so many different paths and fields, it just make thing even harder.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out or give me any insight.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Wow nearly 100 reader and no one want to help?

Forum Member

Well will you get hired with the hearing loss ??

Decide which type of firefighting you want to go into and get training on that field

What state are you in?

Forum Member

Honestly I really don't know. But again... It was that way with wildland firefighting. I went in pretty much not knowing if I'd even be able to get hired. I end up got hired and have been on it for a few years already.

But the thing is training for wildland firefighting was cheaper than many other type of training and someone paid for it for me.

So that's why I'm bit nervous about try to get other type of training because now I'm going to have to pay for it out of my own pocket and if it end up not help me at all, I'd be shooting myself in the foot.

As for what type of firefighting? Honestly I'm down for anything really. I just want to see what field I might have best chance in and what kind of training would be easiest or cheapest for me to get so I don't gamble so much money and time away.
    I know there's structure, blowout, oilrig (heard you need years of oil rig experience), airport firefighter, and fireboat (Not sure if that is even a stable career) But there may be something else.
    I'm also open to any sort of rescue job as well. Paramedic in a ambulance isn't exactly what I want to do, but am willing to do it for a few years to build experience.

As of now, from what I can see, it seems like airport firefight probably is my best bet as it seems like it is more of a frontal assault than search and rescue, dealing with structure, etc... But again, I don't know much. Then on top of that, they probably don't have a steady work schedule as you don't hear about airport fire often.

So that's why I'm here.
    I'd really appreciate any help or insight.

Forum Member

Most jobs you are looking at normally are reached by going through the ranks

Airport fire boat etc

You might check some of the private companies or industrial complexes that have their own dept

Just need to decide and get the training for that field

What state are you in??????????

Forum Member

Hm... So... I gotta go through structure first?

I'm in California.

Forum Member

I too am in California. I know the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) has changed the medical standards required to become a firefighter. I am not sure how this pertains to someone who is unable to hear. Since 85% of the calls we respond to are medical aid calls, I could see that your disability could certainly impact your ability to perform the job.
    I would recommend that you take an EMT class to see how you are able to communicate with patients. Best of luck to you!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information