Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Long Beach Fire

Forum Member

Really wish I tested for LB. Im a Long Beach native living up in WA and currently going through the hiring process for Seattle.

My wifes uncle was a well known man amoungst LBFD and passed in 2012. I'll be on the look out in the years to come if LB will be holding another canidate list. Best of luck to those still in the fight!

Forum Member

If anyone is still reading this, latest update is there's about 200-250 to Chief interview, a list of 75+/- and notifications anticipated around the beginning of April.......good luck to all still in!
    Last edited by AzAdAm; 03-26-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Forum Member

Jay,

Chief's interviews have concluded and now we wait! I have a question for you... the department stated that those who move forward will have to attend a mandatory orientation for backgrounds. This orientation is an all day event. Do you have any insight on what this day entails (other than the obvious)?

Thanks for all of your input on this thread!

Forum Member

I'll make some calls to find out exactly what to expect. I'll post as soon as I find out. Good Luck.
    Big Easy likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

OK...The Chief said it was a day long meeting to Fill out waivers and conduct P.E.B.Q. and M.M.P.I. info with whom ever they decide to select for this sit down. As of yet nobody has been selected to attend this meeting.
    Big Easy, FF14 and AzAdAm like this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Hey Jay are you able to ask around and see when our letters of recommendation we turned in will come into play?

Forum Member

I'm sure they have already been looked at....good luck
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Jay,
    I know that the original start of this drill school was planned for July. Do you know if they have set a start date yet?

Thanks!

Forum Member

Big Easy......I have not been told of a firm drill school date yet. If I hear anything I'll post it.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

This waiting and anticipation is rough! So many different styles of hiring processes! Ive been in some where notifications were made the Monday/Tuesday after the interviews concluded(my current department does this) and others that took weeks and even months after. I never understood why it takes so long after, does anyone know? Isn't a score a score or do they average your total scores together(written,Biddle, interview 1 &2)? Can anyone educate me? Jay maybe?

Forum Member

AzAdAm.....Long Beach has many to score and look at. Hiring is also tedious to the point of how they hire because of federal regulations and minority hiring. Good luck and I know it's hard sitting around but the end result is well worth it.
    AzAdAm likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Thank you Jay

Forum Member

Glad I can help.......
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Hey Jay, got my letter saying my name will be put on eligible list for future consideration. Were they taking the full 75 right off to backgrounds or will the take the first 25, then move to next group etc?

Forum Member

It was told to me Long Beach will select those who will be in the next class to take physicals etc. Those who do not pass the physical and backgrounds others will be taken off of their list. How they select those candidates only the Chief knows. Hang in there you never know......
    AzAdAm likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Copy, thank you sir! I talked to Civil Service and they said list is good til Nov 25 2014 and there is not a ranking. I'm confused how they select us if we don't have a "rank". She could not answer if all the guys/girls were selected or if each academy will be notified prior to starting to do background etc.
    Last edited by AzAdAm; 04-04-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Forum Member

I've been told e-mails have gone out for those selected to do Psyc and backgrounds for the first class. As I've said before anyone on the final list can be selected as they are not in any order and how they are selected only the Chief knows. Good luck....
    AzAdAm likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quick Questions for clarification:

AzAdAm: "I talked to Civil Service and they said list is good til Nov 25 2014..."

2014? Is that a typo? Did you mean 2015 or is it 2014 with the option to extend to 2015? I vaguely remember this list was going to be used for 2-3 academies (maybe 4) and into end of 2015.

JayDudley: "... anyone on the final list can be selected as they are not in any order and how they are selected only the Chief knows."

"final list" meaning those (the 200-250) that went to Chief and received a passing score from last Chief interview?

Lastly, and maybe JayDudley knows the answer to this, what are the average/percentage of those that typically fail backgrounds and/or Psyc?

THANKS!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFCM View Post
    Quick Questions for clarification:

AzAdAm: "I talked to Civil Service and they said list is good til Nov 25 2014..."

2014? Is that a typo? Did you mean 2015 or is it 2014 with the option to extend to 2015? I vaguely remember this list was going to be used for 2-3 academies (maybe 4) and into end of 2015.

JayDudley: "... anyone on the final list can be selected as they are not in any order and how they are selected only the Chief knows."

"final list" meaning those (the 200-250) that went to Chief and received a passing score from last Chief interview?

Lastly, and maybe JayDudley knows the answer to this, what are the average/percentage of those that typically fail backgrounds and/or Psyc?

THANKS!
    Nope they said 2014, with an option to extend. Was there 3 separate emails sent out or just the "congrats" and the "your name will be put on list for consideration for any future hiring". Since there is no "ranking" do we reinterview for position each academy?

Forum Member

In the past the list was always good for one year...and they have always extended the list for one year. What they do in this case I do not know but if I were a betting man I'd say list is good for two years. I also wouldn't plan on a re-interview either. Best of luck to all.
    AzAdAm likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Is anyone else confused about what's going on? List ..... no list.....everyone notified.....only 24 notified.....the email sent out the other day about people calling and that 24 were given conditionals for summer drill school and there is a list but its not for public. I've heard different responses from all areas.

Personally I am curious where at on list I am but chances are I'll never know unless I get that job offer haha .

Forum Member

I'll try to make it so you'll somewhat understand. There's a list that Long Beach Fire will work off of. Let's say there's 75 on this list.......they will send out e-mails to those who will go to backgrounds and psyc tests. As those who are picked fail any of those tests another candidate will be picked for that spot. Who that will be only the Chief knows as all are equal. When they get enough qualified then 24 will be offered positions and sent to physicals.....if anyone fails their physical another candidate will be plugged into that open spot. When they get 24 who have passed all three tests then and only then will they have a class to run through a drill school. I hope this makes it as clear as mud........good luck
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

copy that....clear as mud :-) thank you! Just seems like there are so many different answers.....your makes most sense! Thank you Jay

Forum Member

I can say that that's how they have done it in the past and how it was explained to me recently by a Chief.
    AzAdAm likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

For those who have been patiently waiting for Long Beach to have a drill class......The Fire Chief says a class will begin in September. The backgrounds have been slow and there "IS" light and the end of the tunnel. Good Luck to all who will be beginning their new careers with Long Beach Fire.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information