Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Long Beach Fire

Forum Member

I wonder when the department is going to get back to us to see what the next step is?

Forum Member

check the job bulletin on the Long Beach Fire website. It has all the steps of the process. The application and test were phase 1 to create an eligibility list and Phase 2 is the review and selection process. Doesn't really have dates but it does say, "It is anticipated that the academy will begin late spring/early summer 2014."

Good luck!

Forum Member

Just looked at the LBFD powerpoint, Math scores will NOT be considered, its only based on your HR, Mechanical and Reading scores to determine what band you end up in.

Forum Member

Any idea when we might find out if we move on?

Forum Member

Notification All applicants will be notified of their final application status. If you have not received notification by December 21, 2013, contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.

Forum Member

I look at the LBF website and it should what the process is

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by akav View Post
    Notification – All applicants will be notified of their final application status. If you have not received notification by December 21, 2013, contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
    did you receive that via email??

Forum Member

I looked on the website. I just got a email from long beach saying that my test scores was sent along with my application. It is under review.

Forum Member

As a retiree from Long Beach Fire let me say that the process is long and I know it's hard to sit back and wait. I still have contacts with the Department and if there's any questions I can answer and settle your frustrations let me know. I wish you good luck as it's a great department to work for. I was with them over 26 years and enjoyed ever minute of my stay.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Thank you Jay! I will defiantly ask you if I have any questions I would love to work for long beach!

Forum Member

Just got the email, passed the Fire Team test and I've been placed in Band A, with a band score of 78.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim37F View Post
    Just got the email, passed the Fire Team test and I've been placed in Band A, with a band score of 78.
    Same for me, Band A: Score 78

Forum Member

Band B with a band score of 70. Anyone know that the band score means? Is that how many people in that band or the cut off?

Forum Member

I got Band B, score of 70 as well. Not sure if they will even get to band B. Who knows though, time will tell.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lakngs20 View Post
    Band B with a band score of 70. Anyone know that the band score means? Is that how many people in that band or the cut off?
    That's my question as well. I was thinking it meant I was ranked 78 out of however many people were in the band, but based on some of the other responses that doesn't quite seem to be the case. Can anyone shed some more light on what exactly the bands and band scores mean, at least as far as moving on to the next step?

Forum Member

says all candidates in the band are equal, so I'm guessing 78 is just the general score for Band A, I got Band A as well and I know thats the band they hire from.

Forum Member

Yeah same here I got band A with a score of 78! So I'm curious to see what happens next.

Forum Member

Band A as well with a score of 78, so 78 cant be our ranking. Just looked through the website and couldn't find anything on the number of people per Band. Guess we shall just wait and see!

Forum Member

Hey EB1980, so are you sure they usually hire out of band A?? Do you know more on how any of this works?? I also have a score of 78 and am in band A. I've tested with departments before but I haven't ever came across "bands" or anything like it. If anyone else knows more that would be great too, thanks

Forum Member

Finally got permission to post here! I got the same email "Band A" 78....does anyone know how bands were determined and what they are? How many applied/tested? How many in each band? How many they are hiring? Sorry so many questions, just curious. Thanks!

Forum Member

Default "A" Band

Having worked for Long Beach Fire and helped in many of the phases of their testing I can say this about "A" Band. For the sake of conversation as I do not know how many they are putting in Band "A" we'll say 150 candidates are on Band "A" . All candidates from Band "A" will move on to the Physical Agility, if they have one, as they have for the 26 years I was on the Department. If you do get a chance to take the test...I will plead to you they might say it's pass or fail but make sure you do the test 110% as they take the total times and rate you accordingly . Each phase you go through "Their Eyes" are on you so get there early stay late and help out if you are able to. More than likely they will not dip into Band "B" but you never know so stay sharp and be ready. Good Luck to all and remember "You only get one chance at a first impression" so make it a good one.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Thanks Jay! I've been waiting to post on this forum much like others and your info is greatly appreciated. I'm like some of the others in Band A with a 78. Very excited and nervous!

Forum Member

Jay, is the physical test like the biddle test? If not, what does it encompass? I have a friend who took a physical agility test for the police
    Dept. which entailed an obstacle course, dummy drag, and 550 yard run. Is it similar? Thanks again!

Forum Member

Jusdab.....I've heard Long Beach will be doing the Biddle. I will confirm this and get back to you all.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Jusdab.....I've heard Long Beach will be doing the Biddle. I will confirm this and get back to you all.
    Thanks Jay, appreciate it.

Thread Information