Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Long Beach Fire

Forum Member

the job announcement said you needed to have proof of the biddle completed prior to an offer for employment. so I don't know if LBFD is putting it on themselves or not.

Forum Member

OK From a unnamed source from Long Beach Fire......Band "A" will have 1500 candidates on it. Biddle will be hosted by Long Beach maybe and through out local colleges and if you have taken it within 6 months you should be good. Info will be sent out on particulars of the test. After Biddle there will be an Oral Exam with two from Long Beach Fire (one will be a Captain). If your in Band "B" I'm sorry but they will not be going that deep on the list. Projected drill class is June or July of 2014. I hope this helps.....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    OK From a unnamed source from Long Beach Fire......Band "A" will have 1500 candidates on it. Biddle will be hosted by Long Beach maybe and through out local colleges and if you have taken it within 6 months you should be good. Info will be sent out on particulars of the test. After Biddle there will be an Oral Exam with two from Long Beach Fire (one will be a Captain). If your in Band "B" I'm sorry but they will not be going that deep on the list. Projected drill class is June or July of 2014. I hope this helps.....
    Thank you again with the info Jay. 1500...geeze =\

Forum Member

1500 is a lot less then when I took there test.....there was 8,000 and no banding. Good Luck....glad I could help.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

8000....wow. Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to the challenge. Do you happen to know how many LBFD is going to take?

Forum Member

From what I've heard, it looks like LB will be running the Biddle starting early January.

Forum Member

I passed the biddle about 2 months ago. Would it look bad if i took it again to improve my time?

Forum Member

Per the job bulletin it states they MAY request resumes from qualified candidates to determine who is "invited" to participate...anyone know of this

Forum Member

All of the particulars of the test will be coming out. They have said testing might be by them or the local colleges in the area. If you have recently taken a Biddle you might be able to count that . The time frame will also be is the packet they send out. Good Luck to all. Jperez51 I'd wait and see if you can count the test you have already taken. The problem with retesting is you might not pass ....??
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Hey JayDudley i have a question. I am from idaho and I am also in band A. Do you know around what date they will send the packet out? And do you know about how many weeks they usually schedule the Biddle physical test after candidates are sent the packet?? Because I will have to make travel arrangements so I am curious about time frames. Thanks Jay

Forum Member

KMC5 ...From where in Idaho do you reside and two as for timing to take your Biddle I don't have a clue but the info will be in your packet when you receive it. Good Luck and if I hear anything else about the test I'll post it here.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

KMC5 ...From where in Idaho do you reside and two as for timing to take your Biddle I don't have a clue but the info will be in your packet when you receive it. Good Luck and if I hear anything else about the test I'll post it here.
    Jay-

I am currently in Band A, what does the packet contain? Will the PAT be before or after the initial interview? I appreciate all the information you have posted on this thread.

Forum Member

I was told the sequence was this....1. written 2.Physical agility (Biddle) 3. Oral Interview 4. Chiefs Interview and then physical. The last two could be switched that I don't know. The packet will have info about biddle and other items you'll need to know. I'll check and get the specifics to further nail it down.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I was told the sequence was this....1. written 2.Physical agility (Biddle) 3. Oral Interview 4. Chiefs Interview and then physical. The last two could be switched that I don't know. The packet will have info about biddle and other items you'll need to know. I'll check and get the specifics to further nail it down.
    I just want to reiterate a big thanks to all the help and info you've given us. As you've mentioned, the wait is long but all the little info you provide helps with the waiting(at least it does for me).

Forum Member

I'm here to try and help those who are interested in Long Beach Fire. I still have connections with the higher-ups but being gone for soooooo long that list is getting shorter by the year.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Jay, in your experience, is it a long shot for someone with very little experience in Fire to get hired as compared to those with degrees or coursework in fire?

Forum Member

I've seen it where it is easier to hire someone with little experience and teach them the correct way to do things in the fire service...then to take an experienced person in the fire service and retrain him/her to do it a different way then they were taught. Case in point was myself...I was taught a certain way to catch a hydrant as they say and Long Beach did it totally different then the way I was taught. So in short it is easier to learn if you have little experience. Overall though if you have experience those things that are the same you were taught are easier to remember.....double edge sword. I wish you luck.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Jay. I reside in Meridian Idaho which is a city/suburb that borders Boise. In one of yours posts you mentioned the steps of the Long Beach hiring process. With the interviews, how many are in the panel in the first interview? And are these interviews scored out 100 points with a cut off score to determine who continues on in the hiring process?

Forum Member

KMC5 I'm up in the North part of Idaho....Sandpoint to be exact. I have a phone call into someone who will know and will get back with the particulars.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

JayDudley-

Any word on how many LBFD plans to hire?

Forum Member

They've said a class in July for sure and usually the list is good for two years. I have a phone call in to someone who knows but hasn't returned my call. As soon as I get word I'll pass it on.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

They've said a class in July for sure and usually the list is good for two years. I have a phone call in to someone who knows but hasn't returned my call. As soon as I get word I'll pass it on.
    Thanks Jay! I appreciate all the info you have posted on this forum! I know others feel the same

Forum Member

FYI....emails sent out regarding next step!
    JayDudley likes this.

Forum Member

Yup got the email on the next step. Looks like I will have to make a trip down there to take the Biddle.

Forum Member

OK here's the steps....
    1. written
    2. resume
    3. biddle
    4. orals
    5. chief interviews
    6. backgrounds
    7. job offer and physical exam

one class of 24 next summer 2014
    one class of 24 next spring 2015
    one more class maybe.....