+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... Last
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Long Beach Fire

Forum Member

Default Long Beach Fire

City of Long Beach , California will be taking apps for Firefighter until November 1, 2013.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I started applying to the job but it says it is not taking any resumes, and all that info. But there is a another box saying that we have scan Pdf form with application also so I didnt' want to submit it without finding out what to do

Forum Member

Agency: City of Long Beach
    Position: FIRE RECRUIT
    Final Filing Date: 11/01/2013
    Salary: $27.86 per hour while in academy
    Requirements: Qualified candidates must satisfy requirements A, B, and C by the filing deadline, November 1, 2013:

A. A valid driver’s license.
    B. Eighteen (18) years of age or older.
    C. High school diploma or GED equivalency.

Completion of the FireTeam entry-level, firefighter examination is required. All testing must be completed through National Testing Network (NTN) by November 8, 2013. Applicants are encouraged to visit the website nationaltestingnetwork.com for more information and to schedule a testing date as soon as possible.
    Completion of a City of Long Beach job application is also required and will be available October 25, 2013– November 1, 2013, 4:30 p.m., Pacific Standard Time. Online applications are highly encouraged. Applicants are encouraged to complete their testing through NTN before the application filing period.
    Immediate Openings:

Expected Openings : 24

Forum Member

Oh how I SO deeply hate the FireTeam test... but might have to make an exception and take it!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TakingMauiTest View Post
    Oh how I SO deeply hate the FireTeam test... but might have to make an exception and take it!
    This will be my first time taking it, I've heard only bad things about it. Kind of nice I only have to drive to Phoenix and not Long beach to take the test. (Im in tucson)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourYearJohn View Post
    This will be my first time taking it, I've heard only bad things about it. Kind of nice I only have to drive to Phoenix and not Long beach to take the test. (Im in tucson)
    My problem with it--and this is just my opinion, I'm not trying to start a flame war so I won't indulge anyone who wants to argue--is that it's a flawed test in that it essentially forces people to "lie," for lack of a better term. Because the test is the same, and you can take it over and over, people just keep changing their answers. I know guys, as I'm sure many do, who just keep taking it and have brought their scores up from failing to the low-to-mid-90's. If you have the time and money you'll eventually "figure out" the test. But what good is that? What does that do for departments? So someone who has taken it six times gets a better score than you who has taken it once; is that a better candidate? I, personally, would think not.

It's frustrating

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TakingMauiTest View Post
    My problem with it--and this is just my opinion, I'm not trying to start a flame war so I won't indulge anyone who wants to argue--is that it's a flawed test in that it essentially forces people to "lie," for lack of a better term. Because the test is the same, and you can take it over and over, people just keep changing their answers. I know guys, as I'm sure many do, who just keep taking it and have brought their scores up from failing to the low-to-mid-90's. If you have the time and money you'll eventually "figure out" the test. But what good is that? What does that do for departments? So someone who has taken it six times gets a better score than you who has taken it once; is that a better candidate? I, personally, would think not.

It's frustrating

Good luck!
    I agree 100% I took the test for the first time last Thursday and it is really frustrating. I am not very happy with the system. I would like to get my scores higher, but just don't know if its even worth it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF14 View Post
    I agree 100% I took the test for the first time last Thursday and it is really frustrating. I am not very happy with the system. I would like to get my scores higher, but just don't know if its even worth it.
    Any tips on how to prepare for it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourYearJohn View Post
    Any tips on how to prepare for it?
    Practice quick mental math. The math part is all mental math with about 10 seconds in between questions.

The video part you can't really study for. Its just common sense and pay close attention to the videos. There will be a second part of the video test where they will ask you questions about the people in the videos.

The mechanical part, not much to study for there. Just watch the videos really closely. Maybe study things like how would you put a bolt,washer, and nut on something and where would you put the washer.

Reading: just practice picking words that best fit the sentence.
    The sucky part is that when you get your results back, they don't tell you what you got wrong or right.
    Last edited by FF14; 10-31-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF14 View Post
    Practice quick mental math. The math part is all mental math with about 10 seconds in between questions. I don't want give to much away, but practice multiplying 50 by whatever.

The video part with the double answers, you can't really study for. Its just common sense and pay close attention to the videos. There will be a second part of the video test where they will ask you questions about the people in the videos and you pick how you agree/disagree with the question.

The mechanical part, not much to study for there. Just watch the videos really closely. Maybe study things like how would you put a bolt,washer, and nut on something and where would you put the washer.

Reading: just practice picking words that best fit the sentence.
    The sucky part is that when you get your results back, they don't tell you what you got wrong or right.
    FF14 watch out, the bald bearded lawyer in the intro will come for you. HaHa, #shepards pie! Woody is a Dick. I hate that test.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Oops, forgot about that. So, to anyone reading this just forget that I put 50ft. I don't think I'll get in trouble...Right???

Forum Member

Edit your comments to be safe.

Forum Member

I just edited it. Is that better?

Forum Member

yeah better even though washedupFF has your quote with it there but I wouldn't worry about it because anyone can take the practice test and I am pretty sure it talks about the lengths of hose. I felt the original message was informational but not pushing the limits.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NWDREX2 View Post
    yeah better even though washedupFF has your quote with it there but I wouldn't worry about it because anyone can take the practice test and I am pretty sure it talks about the lengths of hose. I felt the original message was informational but not pushing the limits.
    Relax gang, just making fun of the test everyone loves to hate (myself included).

Strongly agree, agree, neutral, disagree, strongly disagree??????????

Forum Member

I strongly agree!! Can't really be neutral about this test.

Forum Member

Got my test scheduled for the 7th. Gotta take it to play the game and get the job.

Forum Member

Good Luck! Hope to hear how you did.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by washedupFF View Post
    FF14 watch out, the bald bearded lawyer in the intro will come for you. HaHa, #shepards pie! Woody is a Dick. I hate that test.
    I think that lawyer has probably retired by now with all of the residuals from the test. LOL
    This test has been around for around ten years now though.
    "Woody" was actually pretty cool when I met him back in my testing days. We had a good laugh about the persona.

Forum Member

Wow. 10 years now? That's a long time. I'm just glad I took the test and got it over with.

Forum Member

Anyone else unable to apply because they took the test for Huntington Beach less than 6 months ago?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman1302 View Post
    Anyone else unable to apply because they took the test for Huntington Beach less than 6 months ago?
    You should be able to just select Long Beach from the list of recent openings and pay $7 to have them send your scores.

Forum Member

Took the test Saturday and was told they had a lot of people testing. 2 sessions each day for two weeks straight just at the location I was at. There was about 20-25 people at my test. Just got my results back and I did pretty well. It will be interesting to see where the draw the cut off mark as far as scores. Im not sure how many they plan on hiring. A friend of mine is in their academy now from their internal test. Time will tell I guess.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Ending date for NTN testing is tomorrow.

How is everyone fairing on their overall scores? If anyone is wondering how to combine their HR and mechanical scores in to your overall score take your HR score and multiply it by .7 and take your mechanical score and multiply it by .3 and then add those two scores together.

Forum Member

took my exam last night @1830 but no results yet, I feel like i did pretty good though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... Last

Thread Information