Thread: Automatic Aid

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Automatic Aid

Ok either it's way late or I'm confused. What exactly in English does the below mean about auto aid?

We have a full automatic aid with another fire department and we run on all calls together and get pages out together on same page. Does this count for our "First DUE" area? Our 35 sq miles plus their 200 miles since every fire in there area we respond on first alarm?

***First Due Response: A geographical area in proximity to a fire or rescue facility and normally served by the personnel and apparatus from that facility in the event of a fire or other emergency.

NOTE: Applicants already eligible to apply to AFG retain the discretion of not providing Automatic Aid (Fire and/or EMS) response to another jurisdiction’s first due response area. Providing Automatic Aid is not a requirement for eligible organizations to apply to AFG.
    Nonaffiliated EMS organization: An agency

Forum Member

It is late. But the way I read this the first due response area is the area your department is legally responsible to protect. Under the note they are saying you are not required to provide automatic aid to apply for the grant.

Based on the way I read the description you gave your department has a 35 square mile response area that you are legally recognized as protecting or required to protect. This is your first due area and the stats for this area are what must be used for the grant application question boxes in the applicant info pages. You can reference the automatic aid agreement and statistics in the narrative as an added burden or service that your department provides (based on your interpretation). Even though you are paged simultaneously, the other department is legally responsible for the 200 square mile area and you are providing automatic aid versus waiting for them to see the need to call mutual aid and delaying the response benefits of your department.

Just my thoughts on your brief description. I'm assuming that the 2 areas are distinctly different towns, districts or some form of legal separation.

MembersZone Subscriber

My take also

Forum Member

Here is our situation. For the past 3 years we have had an automatic aid agreement with our neighbors. This is for every emergency, not just structure fires, but EMS, MVA, rescue, etc. At what point does this area become part of our first due as their township is " in proximity to a fire or rescue facility and normally served by the personnel and apparatus from that facility in the event of a fire or other emergency."

Again, if this were just for structure fires, I would agree that it should not be counted, but whenever their siren goes off, so does ours. When can we start counting their data as ours since we are giving the same service to their area as they are?

MembersZone Subscriber

HuntPA, until FEMA redefines the definition of "first due area" you are not going to see that change, Not that I do not agree with you on the "auto-aid" situation as described ( Lord knows I have many clients that would greatly benefit from such a rule change) but, its simply not going to happen until the stated definitions or "description" of what constitutes the "first due area" change, we are all stuck with this conundrum.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Gives an interesting question too on if a FD has automatic on all calls, the "department call volume" section could theoretically be all zeros and the calls would show up under the aid category? (which was my argument in the past) Bet the AFG computer wouldn't like THAT one...

MembersZone Subscriber

Auto-aid does not count as first due area. auto aid is a type of "mutual aid".
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information