Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SCOOBY14B

Thread: Low travel height aerial

Forum Member

Default Low travel height aerial

Can anyone suggest any companies that build aerial trucks with less than 10' of overall travel height? We would also prefer something on a single rear axle. The only thing I know of that meets these requirements for sure is the Sutphen SL75 and SP70.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by blaster668 View Post
    Can anyone suggest any companies that build aerial trucks with less than 10' of overall travel height? We would also prefer something on a single rear axle. The only thing I know of that meets these requirements for sure is the Sutphen SL75 and SP70.
    I would think any builder that offers a mid-mount could do this. MM aerials are less common today, but still being built. Of course MM towers are everywhere.

Forum Member

Smile Spartan

Spartan ERV has a new 65' aerial that my meet your departments needs ?

Forum Member

I checked with Spartan ERV, the issue is it is taller than 10'.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My career FD had 2 low travel height rigs, a 105 foot aerial ladder and a 75 foot quint. They were built by 3-D (bought by American LaFrance and subsequently closed), on an HME low profile chassis with an Aerial Innovations (AI ladder).

Frankly, rather than spend the money to buy a low profile aerial I would modify the station so a standard aerial would fit if that is the problem. I am an HME fan as my #1 POC FD has an HME engine that is a sweet heart, but those low profile aerials rode absolutely horribly. There was very little suspension travel on them so they bounced and beat the crap out of you.

If you MUST buy a low profile aerial one of MY requirements would be that the manufacturer take the committee to a fire department that has one already so you could test drive it. Because otherwise you will never know until yours rolls in the door what it handles like and then it is too late.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-03-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

http://www.ferrarafire.com/NewDelive...P102/5102.html

Here is one just over 10. It is a rear mount 102. They may be able to do what you want. As someone said a builder who offers a MM may have already done this.

Happy Hunting

ANY of Sutphens aerials or platforms can be had with an overall height under 10'. SA75, SL75, SL100, SP70, SP95, SPH100
    RFDACM02 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.f-ss.com/images/delivery/22112.pdf

Former dept ran a 09 Pierce MM 9'11.5" overall height.

Quote Originally Posted by hookandcanman83 View Post
    http://www.f-ss.com/images/delivery/22112.pdf

Former dept ran a 09 Pierce MM 9'11.5" overall height.
    Can they do it with 500 gallons of water and a 2000gpm pump, full size hosebed, and full ground ladder compliment?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOBY14B View Post
    Can they do it with 500 gallons of water and a 2000gpm pump, full size hosebed, and full ground ladder compliment?
    And a pre-piped waterway? Every other low travel height truck I can find gives up something to get it low. The main issue with Sutphen is the price, but they appear to be the only ones building true quints with under a 10' travel height that I can find. I was very hopeful for the new MPA 65 from Spartan ERV, but they claim the lowest travel height is 10'6".

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOBY14B View Post
    http://www.f-ss.com/images/delivery/22820.pdf

I know there are different body options for the Pierce MM and we went with the smaller and shorter option. They can do the smaller body size with a 2000 gpm pump but only a 300 gallon tank.

Quote Originally Posted by blaster668 View Post
    And a pre-piped waterway? Every other low travel height truck I can find gives up something to get it low. The main issue with Sutphen is the price, but they appear to be the only ones building true quints with under a 10' travel height that I can find. I was very hopeful for the new MPA 65 from Spartan ERV, but they claim the lowest travel height is 10'6".
    Every Sutphen has a prepiped waterway. The only change to getting a Sutphen platform under 10' is that you go to a low-rail climbing ladder.

Blaster,

When we were working on replacing our aerial we were looking at mid mounts and along with Sutphen, KME and Smeal were both able to get low travel heights. As stated before, talk to the builders and they will let you know what is available.

I also know that rear mount low travel height apparatus are available but they will cost more. If you go with a mid mount to meet your height restrictions you will also wind up with a longer overall apparatus length because the ladder is not bedded along the entire length of the apparatus.

FyredUp made the suggestion about retrofitting your station. Considering we have done this to some degree and the hassles that go with it, this would be my recommendation as well. I don't know your station specifically and I also don't know what challenges you face but the reason for the suggestion is that by modifying the station you will have more options down the road besides just this specific apparatus. If you (powers that be) can't, or won't, modify the station you will be dealing with this problem for the life of the station.

Good luck,
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

I will just say, our VFD received its first Sutphen SL75 a year ago, and it was well worth the money.

Thread Information