Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Bones42

Thread: fire hose washer

Forum Member

Default fire hose washer

Anyone have detailed plans or know where I can buy something similar to this? Apparently he quit selling them. Looks like it would be more versatile than the round ones.
    http://firehosewasher.com/
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure just about any welding shop could turn something like that out for you. As long as you kept the pressures down and the welding was top notch, you could probably make it out of aluminum, too.

I don't see where the tubing has to be square - as long as the spray lines up, it could be round.

Heck, you could probably turn one out using galvanized water pipe. A few nipples, ells, caps, and adapters, plus maybe a few muffler clamps and some plates and you'd be right in business. Drain it well after use and it won't rust too soon.

Your biggest challenge will be finding the appropriate size of holes to drill.

Caveat - the originator may or may not have patented the device. Duplicate at your own peril.
    Last edited by tree68; 10-31-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Our hose washer is very portable and requires very little maintenance.

It's a junior with a garden hose and broom.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    I'm sure just about any welding shop could turn something like that out for you. As long as you kept the pressures down and the welding was top notch, you could probably make it out of aluminum, too.

I don't see where the tubing has to be square - as long as the spray lines up, it could be round.

Heck, you could probably turn one out using galvanized water pipe. A few nipples, ells, caps, and adapters, plus maybe a few muffler clamps and some plates and you'd be right in business. Drain it well after use and it won't rust too soon.

Your biggest challenge will be finding the appropriate size of holes to drill.

Caveat - the originator may or may not have patented the device. Duplicate at your own peril.
    I would be happy to buy one --but the web page is still up, but he hasn't taken orders for years. Im sure I could build something close, but 'the devil is in the details"
    ?

Forum Member

We have something that is obviously home made. It is a 2 1/2 inch female coupling attached to a 5 inch PVC pipe that is a about a foot long. We connect the 2 1/2 coupling to a hydrant turn it on start feeding the hose through the back the pressure of the water shoots it out the front.

I will try and get a picture of this thing, It's also covered in duct tape for some reason. Either way it works very well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Our hose washer is very portable and requires very little maintenance.

It's a junior with a garden hose and broom.
    Yup. What he said. Why spend the money on something when you have a concrete ramp and elbow grease?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Yup. What he said. Why spend the money on something when you have a concrete ramp and elbow grease?
    A hose washer, washes both sides ,at the same time, gets it up off the slab. looks like it would speed things up. The one I linked to looks like it would do a good job. Guess ill have to take a stab and build one.
    ?

Forum Member

We like our old Fireman's Friend hose washer, WAY better than pressure washer on concrete. But a replacement one costs a bazillion dollars and it is so far impossible to find replacement brushes. The one Mr. Yokel is looking for looks like a good option, nice and simple and fast.

Everyone washes hose at my house, not just the rookies.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Thread Information