Forum Member

Default Equipment grant question?

We have a question about the equipment grant. We would like to do a hose replacement grant for 1000ft of 5" ldh, 800ft of 3", and 5" intake valve. However we also would like to add a AED to this grant application. If this a bad idea? I have read that shopping lists are bad so we are not sure. It would be used for ff use only as we do not do any ems work. We currently do not have any aeds. It would be better to have one on each apparatus since they do not usually respond together. So would we be better off to forget the aeds for this year and do them by themselves or add 4 aeds to the list and see what happens. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

When adding 1 of an item to an existing package check your matching amount on the larger part. If you're a 5% match asking for $40k in a grant that's $2000 in local cash. If the AED costs $2000 then where is the argument that you don't have the money to buy 1?

Now 4, obviously 1 is better than 0 but since having every vehicle equipped with an AED is a good idea, buying 1 and blowing all of your dough still needing hose and 3 more AEDs, that's a little more believable need scenario.

Forum Member

Didnt think of it that way. GOOD POINT! Thanks!

Forum Member

Should mention that our annual budget is only $12,000 so we have to keep our grant request very low so we can afford the match if we would stumble upon a grant. Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another way to solve the AED issue is through a Regional grant. Check with your mutual and/or automatic aid departments to see if they are in the same boat as you. All it takes is 2 departments to make a Regional grant application. By doing so takes that "shopping cart" approach out of the equation along with the regional providing additional consideration and improved benefit vs. taking it on alone.

Forum Member

I have a question on a drop tank & mounting rack. I don't see anywhere that this is allowable, am I mistaken? We recently retired our tender as it was for the most part, unusable as it was; and am converting our Military 2.5 ton Brush truck with 1000gal of water to a tactical tender of some sort. Doesn't really change the roll of it as we have used it as a tender before also. Only real difference is that our previous tender carried the drop tank, and now we need to adapt our 2.5ton to carry the drop tank. I was considering adding a fold down rack and a drop tank. Where would I put this in the application...I am thinking equipment but a bit baffled as I thought there was an "other" field under equipment.
    Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Can go under Specialized Equipment or can probably squeak it in under Appliances when citing NFPA 1231. "Other" was removed as an option as of FY2012.

Forum Member

Thanks SLY. I considered Specialized Equipment but really questioned it the more I thought about it. But if others like yourself consider it, than that puts me a bit more at ease. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Hello,

I have another question about a hose grant. We use 3" double jacket hose with 2 1/2" couplings as supply line for our attack unit (hose bed to small for LDH). Should this be marked as attack hose since it is double jacket or LDH since we use it for supply line? I showed in the narratives that we use it as supply line so i am not sure how to mark it in the line items.

Thanks again, Shane

Forum Member

Shouldn't affect the scoring either way, it is all listed under "Basic" equipment which is Priority 1. Just explain your request in the additional details description section of the equipment screen and in your narrative.

Forum Member

Somewhere under that section it names Supply as 4in and larger, Attack is smaller. Might be remember last year's dropdowns, but thought I saw it this year too. Technically 3in is attack per definition, but a lot of areas use it as supply. Would just call it attack and then have it in the narrative about having to use it as supply. Used it as both on one scene before, simplified the hose on the truck to 1.75, 3in, 5in. Nothing else, easier for D/Os. Even ran dual 3s once for training to demonstrate friction loss, LA - Engine 51....

Thread Information