Forum Member

Default Breathing air compressor / cascade

I'm helping a guy I work with's department write a grant for a station breathing air compressor / cascade system. Has anyone found an award limit? Also anyone willing to share narratives for similar projects would be appreciated. Please send them to disp2030@gmail.com. I have winning narratives for PPE and TIC that I wrote if you need to trade. LOL.

Forum Member

Normal has been $40k for full system of compressor, cascade cylinders, and fill station. You can go above that in Additional Funding for installation, delivery, or any plumbing/electrical that might need to be done also. Just have to have a reason that you're higher than the norm, might be CFMs, different style fill station, etc, if you want to get past that mark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got done doing and getting quoted on a MAKO compressor, 2 bottle fill station and cascade bottles for just over $25K, allowed us to use the micro-grant .
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Just got done doing and getting quoted on a MAKO compressor, 2 bottle fill station and cascade bottles for just over $25K, allowed us to use the micro-grant .
    How much advantage is the micro grant to the applicant. The wording I remember is "may" provide an advantage. Does anyone know for sure if there will be an advantage, what it is and how much advantage. Just wondering if this is marketing by AFG to get people to keep their ask under 25k so more grants can be made. The other question is if there is a real advantage is it given at the computer or peer review?
    BB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post
    How much advantage is the micro grant to the applicant. The wording I remember is "may" provide an advantage. Does anyone know for sure if there will be an advantage, what it is and how much advantage. Just wondering if this is marketing by AFG to get people to keep their ask under 25k so more grants can be made. The other question is if there is a real advantage is it given at the computer or peer review?
    Well as far as someone knowing for sure; time will tell but.... do you think they would go to all that trouble if they did not intend to actually do what they say? I am advising any client I have to use it if they can. I guess we will see when the awards start rolling out. One of the things being associated with all these grants all the time has taught me is how to read between the lines and for me, I am not only reading, I'm going to put them to the test. I have everything to gain and nothing to lose.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

MGs actually were discussed as far back as 2009 because the rumor was floating around that high priority but lower dollar requests were getting pushed out when they shouldn't. Stats didn't really support the rumor but has to be looked at, so word is that it is more of an information gathering for this year.

So yes it's better to be asking for a lower dollar amount but if that $25k compressor takes 12 hours to refill because the CFMs are so low, is that helping anything when a $30k would be done in 6 or a $35k in 1? The idea is to solve the deficiency but not aim for a Gold standard while doing it since at the same time you could build a $70k station compressor when people are buying trailers at the same price and obviously mobile unlimited air supplies are a better solution.

So MGs are more about if you have a small dollar request in the past many wouldn't even apply. But don't aim for it and end up not improving. If you need 20 SCBA asking for 5 to be an MG doesn't help. But everyone under $25k should check the box, the possibility is that they may break off some of the Ops money for MGs so all MGs are in one pool against each other, not with the larger requests. Would still be only 1 Ops, MG or regular but seems like that's the way it's heading.

MembersZone Subscriber

BC79er, the system is a little over $32K we pulled their 5% match to make it come in just under $25K in Federal share and the department is making up the difference. Bottom line here is that none of us out here truly knows what they are going to do. We will all just have to wait and see what happens. I'm tossing my dice towards thinking they will give some additional consideration, just gotta wait and see if they do LOL.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Has anyone been successful in upgrading from a 4500 psi system to 6000 psi? Our current system is 19 years old and has no fill containment protection.

If anyone has a narrative they could share that would be great. Craiga894@yahoo.com
    Last edited by EFD3258; 11-05-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Forum Member

I've done quite a few smaller [< $50k] targeted apps in the past that have been successful.
    Always figured smaller was more likely to get by the number crunching computer.
    The idea behind micro grants to me means they want to spread the $$$ to smaller depts that have trouble making the beancounter cutoff based on call volume/demographics

Forum Member

Looking to try my luck again this year for compressor. So, I'd appreciate any previously awarded narratives to compare to mine... Some changes for us, we now do not have a cascade as it was out of hydro and dismantling, transporting for filling was deemed to be very unsafe. Not sure if getting rid of the cascade helps or hurts us, but I couldn't risk someone getting hurt from it so off it went...

email: bwebster@nycap.rr.com
    Last edited by medic190; 11-07-2013 at 10:32 AM.

choffd

Default Additional match

As I prepared my application for this years grant, noticed a line that asks if we are willing to add any additional funds to the match. My total proposal is $35K. I can front a little more but worried that this could end up hurting me. Any thoughts on this?

Forum Member

Mentioned this in another thread, if you have extra money drop the price of the request to make the fed share what the difference between the actual price and your minimum match. So if you're 5% on that $35k request your match is calculated at $1,750 with fed share of $33,250. If you can do another $1250 that means your fed share would calculated out to $32,000.

Make that your 95% by dividing by .95 which gives $33685. Round up if you like, make the project request $33,700 knowing it will cost you $35,000 and you have the money.

Reason it can backfire by admitting overmatch is that you're stuck if that savings goes away before the award. Had it happen to several where they had equipment/PPE damaged and had to replace it out of savings, and didn't have the overmatch. Had to fundraise/beg/borrow/hopefully not steal to get their match and almost lost the award. If you reduce the price you can probably find someone to sell it to you.

Also the scoring goes by pricing per similar products. So if all other stats are equal the department asking for the $32k set of rescue tools beats the one asking for $35k even though both are buying the same set with the first kicking in extra. With the issues in the programming I wouldn't bet that the scoring is actually going to calculate in the extra match this year....

Forum Member

I would also like a narrative of a successful of a compressor/cascade system if anyone would be willing to share. bew@valleytel.net

Forum Member

I'd also be interested in an example narrative... we have a scary cascade that is about 30 years old and we are just about to take it out of service, but can't afford to replace it with a compressor without some help. Thanks guys.

echelonff@gmail.com

Thread Information