Like Tree7Likes

Thread: CalFire 2014

Forum Member

Good luck to you.
    Natelp85 likes this.

Forum Member

JHall LMU is holding doing all of their interviewing this week.

By the way, from what I have been hearing from people who have already interviewed places, if you don't have that CALFIRE 67 hour (180 hour) certificate, you pretty much have no chance at getting hired.

Couple good buddies of mine are EMTs with 5+ seasons of Fed fire time, they also had volunteer firefighter experience along with State Fire Marshal Firefighter 1 certificate and were told they could not be hired because they did not have the basic cal fire certificate.

You could have everything but if you do not have that 1 certificate you are out of luck.
    Last edited by StrengthBuilder; 02-26-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    jhall likes this.

Forum Member

Did some calling around this afternoon. Tuolomne-Calaveras sent out letters on Monday and expected to arrive at destinations by Friday. Santa Clara sent phone calls and interviews are scheduled this week.

Forum Member

I am getting letters to come in for interviews.

Can someone please tell me what to expect in these interviews and what is the best way to prepare for it?

Merced-Madera-Mariposa Unit is my first scheduled interview. I was a PCF for Station 81 in Merced in the early 2000s and I also have a background in Fire Science education with Merced College. Been Self Employed for awhile and really want to get back into this field.

Forum Member

From what I have been reading online and on these forums is that the Cal Fire interview consists of five questions selected randomly from a larger bank of questions. They are scenario based (firefighter safety, chain of command, hazardous environments, ethics) and they are graded on a numerical scale. Some people on here could probably expand better than I can.

Outside of that, at least for me, standard oral interview rules apply. Professional appearance (suit, tie, clean dress shoes), proper grooming, photo copies of required documents in a folder ready to go, and calm professional demeanor. Remember to sales pitch yourself when/if they ask "Do you have anything final to say?" (I am told some people will just go "no" or "when do I start? lol" ) <- Not recommended.

Do you have the main certificates that are required? (67, confined spaces, hazmat FRO, emt, etc.)
    Last edited by Natelp85; 02-26-2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: question added

Forum Member

good luck. it is very competitive. google how to interview for firefighter positions. It will help you with the do's and dont's.
    Last edited by gino.galli; 02-27-2014 at 01:39 AM. Reason: wanted to edit

Forum Member

Would you guys recommend having a CPAT test done prior to the interviews?

Forum Member

Did anyone else interview with SKU last week? Just curious who may have made the trek.

Continued good luck to everyone.

Forum Member

Well just finished my 1st interview today with Cal-Fire Merced-Madera-Mariposa unit.

Must admit I am feeling pretty down now. They gave me a rank 3 on the employment letter. It ranks 1-4 with 1 being the highest. I saw on their interview list at least 100 or more they were interviewing and the line went out the door.

So......looks like the chances are slim to none.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Well just finished my 1st interview today with Cal-Fire Merced-Madera-Mariposa unit.

Must admit I am feeling pretty down now. They gave me a rank 3 on the employment letter. It ranks 1-4 with 1 being the highest. I saw on their interview list at least 100 or more they were interviewing and the line went out the door.

So......looks like the chances are slim to none.

Keep your head up. I didn't do too well there either.

How many interviews do you have left? All we can do is learn from our mistakes and do better next time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Polymer View Post
    Keep your head up. I didn't do too well there either.

How many interviews do you have left? All we can do is learn from our mistakes and do better next time.
    I only applied at a few. That was the unit I was hoping for most because I was raised in Merced County.

The actual interview I think went really well but my score wasnt a 1 or 2 because I am lacking several certs. I have 2 years Fire Science and they didnt even ask to see my college transcripts which I thought was sort of odd. The lady at the counter took the certs but didnt want to see the transcipts nor did the panel that interviewed me. So much for that Fire Science education! Lol

Good luck to you all!

Forum Member

http://www.kcra.com/news/cal-fire-to...?absolute=true

Anyone hearing back from Units with offers?

Forum Member

@ Gino,

I'm I understanding (correctly) the recent hire (Monday, 31) of FFI's is just for Units Sacramento area to San Diego? Has your Unit (MEU) and other Northern Region Units started seasonal hiring?

The reason I ask is that I scored a rank 1 with SKU in my interview.

Thanks

Forum Member

Got the call a few weeks ago-AEU is picking me up. Calls should be going out. Good luck everyone

Forum Member

Congrats Santiago, do you know how many hires AEU made?

Anyone else heard back from Units?

Forum Member

No not sure. I know they had 900 interviews from what my panel told me. I Politicked a lot with that unit, that's key! I'm assuming that why they picked me up. Calfire is super competitive, as we all knoww...

Forum Member

Just wondering if anyone has heard back or had job offers from MMU yet

Thread Information