Like Tree7Likes

Thread: CalFire 2014

Forum Member

Default CalFire 2014

Hey y'all,

Does someone from outside the State of California have a realistic shot of getting hired on with CalFire? I worked for a contract Type-2 IA crew this last season and have my S-130, S-190, S-212, and L-180 certs. I am also applying for all the Fed Agencies however I am interested in the idea of working for an agency that runs the full gamut of calls. I also have my EMT and will be starting work for a BLS agency on Monday. I understand that CalFire doesn't go by the NWCG certs and instead has their own "67 hour" academy. Since I am in Oregon and won't be able to take that does that kill any shot I have of getting hired on? Thanks in advance!
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Hows it going?

You have great experience, however CAL FIRE is very specific on what they look for. I work for them now, and if you look on the application, it has certain certs they kinda look for. The main four you need just to get an interview is HAZMAT FRO, Confined Space Awareness, EMT-B, and the CAL FIRE 69 hour academy. And that 69 hour academy HAS to be taught by a CAL FIRE certified instructor ( a full time cal fire employee). Without that, to be honest, you wont get picked up. I was told there were a couple great candidates this year with experience and fire academy, however they did not have the CALFIRE 69 hour academy, just a basic wildland portion of their academy so they were disqualified. Once you got those certs I would apply.
    Last edited by gino.galli; 02-27-2014 at 01:41 AM. Reason: deleted some items

Forum Member

I just wanted everyone to know that due to the drought declaration announced today, CAL FIRE will be hiring more additional seasonals from what I understand. According to captains and chiefs in different units, we may be going 4-0 so this is the year to get hired!
    Last edited by gino.galli; 02-27-2014 at 01:41 AM.
    Polymer, FF14, jhall and 1 others like this.

Forum Member

@ Gino, I've heard the same...that 4.0 staffing levels will be put into place for this season.

Forum Member

As of right now, they are only staffing 3-0. There was talk about 4-0 earlier this year, but if the conditions due continue to be dry, then they may implement it midway during fire season or at least june/july. So if you want to work for CAL FIRE, start politicing now before interviews because most stations are open now, units that are strictly seasonal ( I.E Mendocino, Humboldt,etc) they only are staffed 3 days a week so call before you stop by and give them a heads up.

Forum Member

Around what time do most units conduct interviews? What would be the earliest time and the latest time? Lastly around what time do they start making job offers? Earliest and latest?

Anyone who has some knowledge to these answers, would be appreciated.

I am in a situation where I cannot give my supervisor a solid answer if I am coming back to work or not for this next season because I am waiting to see what happens with the CalFire applications I have put in.
    Last edited by StrengthBuilder; 01-27-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Forum Member

Most interviews happen around Late Feb to Early April. Most new hires dont start until june-july depending on the unit you get hired with. I interviewed in March and didnt hear until end of april. But due to the state not really getting any rain, they seem like they are bumping everything up faster. You may not hear from any units, or hear from just a couple. If you get letters from some, do not contact the units unless asked to. Some will send thanks but no thanks letters ( Sonoma Lake Napa and Santa Clara) and others wont send anything at all ( the rest of the units).

When does your supervisor need to know if you are coming back or not? If you have your CAL FIRE 69 hour wildland academy, HAZMAT FRO, Confined Space awareness and EMT then you will get a interview with about 6-8 units up north ( not sure about southern units).
    Last edited by gino.galli; 02-27-2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: changed

Forum Member

I have all of those certs except the CalFire 69 hour. Supervisor does not need to know for a while he did not give me a set time.

Not saying I will get hired or even get an interview but I have ran my app. by several calfire personnel in the unit where I live and they said I'd get an interview so we will see what happens. Can't hurt to apply.

Forum Member

Received this from a friend in Cal Fire.....I hope this will help.

On January 27, 2014, the Fire Fighter II (FFII) Advertisement (VPOS) posted on www.jobs.ca.gov with instructions to all interested individuals wishing to apply for Limited Term and Permanent FF II positions.

Attached are the VPOS advertisements for both Limited Term and Permanent FF II 2014 hiring, please ensure they are printed and posted at facilities. They are available electronically at:

http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/wvpos/search_...1082&dept=7799

Potential FF II candidates should be aware of the following:

CAL FIRE WILL NOT notify individuals of the need to submit an application package. Individuals WILL NOT receive ANY notifications by mail.

If an individual wishes to apply for either a Limited Term and/or a Permanent FFII position during CAL FIREs 2014 hiring period, they need to go to the link below, view the VPOS advertisement and follow the instructions to apply.

http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/wvpos/search_...1082&dept=7799

As stated in the VPOS advertisement, to be considered for FF II vacancies (Limited Term or Permanent) that occur in 2014, individuals only need to submit one (1) application package to the address listed in the VPOS advertisement for FF II.

Good luck to all!!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

This is for Firefighter 2 which is a permanent firefighter within CAL FIRE. This position is year round compared to Firefighter 1 which is seasonal. Anyone qualifies for Firefighter 2 but they only thing they do not mention is the 3 months of Firefighting experience required for this position must be with a CAL FIRE unit. So you can try and apply for these positions, but just keep that in the back of your mind.

One you send your returnee letter back to the unit you previously worked for ( in my case Mendocino) you are locked into that unit for the season. Now if I wanted to apply for the FF2 and interview, and then get offered a position my seasonal position cancels out the permanent position because I already guaranteed Mendocino I would be coming back. No loyality for their own employees. Its every unit fends for themselves, so if you work in a unit that has no FF2 ( Mendocino) you must take a chance of getting hired as a FF2 somewhere else and give up your rights as a seasonal for the unit. IT SUCKS!

Forum Member

Absolutely cant hurt. From what I was told by my Captain and BC in my unit, those were the 4 things to get an interview. Whats the worst that can happen, you go back to the forest service? Still fire experience!

Forum Member

I can feel your pain although I was a structure firefighter for over 30 years and have all the respect in the world for all of you who have to hump up all those hills with all of your gear. Good Luck Brother.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gino_Galli View Post
    Absolutely cant hurt. From what I was told by my Captain and BC in my unit, those were the 4 things to get an interview. Whats the worst that can happen, you go back to the forest service? Still fire experience!
    I agree. If it doesn't work out this year, I will try again next year because I will have everything next time.

Forum Member

Exactly. I have sent out almost 50 applications for firefighter positions in a total of 5 states, so hopefully one will give me a shot. Getting hired as a fulltime permanent firefighter with CAL FIRE is tough and from what I understand it takes on average 5 years as a seasonal to get picked up. And if you are not a paramedic, its even longer i guess. So that is why I am looking at all possible departments.

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone. Looks like interview letters are hitting the mailboxes.

Forum Member

Just got an interview letter for lassen-modoc unit. feb 24

We will see what happens. Its a slow unit but still a cal fire job. I won't have my basic 180 hour cert in hand by that date. Looks like they have a lot of openings, i know of a lot of people got interviews in the unit

Forum Member

My LMU interview is scheduled for the 27th.

Forum Member

They may just be interviewing everyone who has applied and qualified. Mendocino did this last yr (925) interviews, hired 29. Goodluck

Forum Member

Anyone interviewing with RRU on Sat the 22nd? Do you have any wild guesses on how many there hiring/ interviewing?

Forum Member

According to my buddy who is an engineer down there, they are losing a decent amount of seasonals to permanent firefighter status so they are going to pick up a good amount.

Forum Member

I have a few interviews coming up and I was wondering If you could email me blksmkff@yahoo.com to answer a couple questions!

Thank you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrslapshott View Post
    Anyone interviewing with RRU on Sat the 22nd? Do you have any wild guesses on how many there hiring/ interviewing?
    RRU will be hiring up to 60 Firefighter I positions depending on if CAL FIRE will go 4-0. 200 people were offered interviews.

Just to clarify. Firefighter I is a seasonal position working on a type 3 CAL FIRE engine. Firefighter II is a permanent position working on a type 1 (usually) local government engine that contracts out to CAL FIRE for fire protection.

Forum Member

I have received letters from Monterrey, El Dorado, and Fresno. However, I applied to 10 units within the central/northern CA area. Does anybody have any intel? Thanks!

Forum Member

From what I know these units in the North that have conducted or scheduled interviews already (anyone else please correct/update). SKU, TGU, LMU, MEU, HUU, BTU
    Last edited by jhall; 02-26-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Forum Member

I just now received a letter from Madera-Mariposa-Merced.

Thread Information