Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FFighterRob

Thread: Starting Early

Forum Member

Default Starting Early

I am 17 years old and currently in a EMT-B program in High school. I want to know what things I could do now to help make my application more appealing or make it easier to get a Firefighter/Paramedic job down the road. Su

Thanks
    David
    Last edited by Zezmia; 11-04-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Forum Member

First, what not to do. Don’t get into trouble. With the law, school, girlfriends, not trouble at all. It is really sad how many very qualified people, who have spent years preparing for their dream job, make a stupid mistake and ruin everything.

Second, volunteer work. It can be tough to get a job as an EMT or volunteer F/F, but you can volunteer lots of places. I volunteered in a convalescent home, a hospital E.R and spent two summers building at an orphanage in Haiti. You can also work with the homeless, camp for special needs kids, Habitat for Humanity, the options are endless.

Getting some work in a similar field helps also. Become a lifeguard and work as one in the summer. It’s one of the easiest places for a younger person to get a job in life safety, and looks good on a resume.

After your EMT try to get any experience you can on an ambulance, at the fair, concerts, racetracks, lots of places have medical people on staff, look hard and be creative.

Get you firefighter schooling out of the way as soon as you can and get on as a volunteer, paid on call, or permanent with a more rural department to start getting some experience.

Along with all of that, take every fire test you qualify for. It takes time to get good at taking the tests, if you can be good at the tests around the same time you have all of you qualifications taken care of you would be in a good place. And if you happened to get on with a good department before that, all the better.
    Last edited by FFighterRob; 11-05-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    FF14 likes this.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Forum Member

What state are you in??????

Forum Member

Ohio and thanks FFighterRob!

Forum Member

Talk to ff's in your state and check different cities to see what the minimum requirements are to apply and get those

Forum Member

fire49 was pretty dead on with all of the tips and info in that post. I did my EMT fresh out of High School and got lucky to get on an Ambo company in my state (AZ) when I was 19, did that for 3.5 years and have been full time fire since 08. Keep your nose clean, and there is no reason you cant be hired on a year or two after graduation. The one thing I did not see in his post was an Explorer or Cadet program, look into that with your local departments, they are an extremely valuable tool for learning what it takes to get into a full time spot. Plus it teaches you discipline, respect, and all those other traditional things that come with becoming a Firefighter.

I did my EMS stuff before my Fire classes, in that aspect its all about what you want to be, Firefighter turned medic, or medic turned Firefighter, neither is wrong. I find that the fire classes typically take slightly less time than some of the EMS stuff such as a paramedic course.

Hope it helps, and good luck, keep at it and never give up, if you don't get the first offer try again and again, eventually you will end up where you are supposed to be.

Thread Information