Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Annual Pump Test - Vacuum Failure on Watrous and Hale pumps

Question for pump operators, engineers & mechanics involved with doing annual pump tests. Is anyone else having issues with either Waterous Intake Relief Valve System or the Hale T.P.M. (Total Pressure Manager) systems? Getting failures on the leak down test from UL. Problem has been identified by putting a cap on the 2 1/2" outlet for the intake relief valve and re-running the vacuum test. This solves the leak down on the 5 minute test, but doesn't explain what can be done to prevent the poor seating of the valve. Is there any routine procedure that can solve this permanently? Once a problem is detected, is there anything short of a valve tear down and manual cleaning that will get these valves to re-seat and seal? The newer engines are the ones that are causing the problem. Older engines with external relay relief valves never have a problem with leakage.
    Last edited by kuh shise; 11-05-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Post this on my facebook wall so that I can tag a few people. Think I could get an answer for ya.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I think you are talking about the dry vacuum test, I find that to be a waste of 10 minutes. If the dry pump primes in the allotted time, we're good to go. I don't think I'll find anything critical with the dry vacuum test that wouldn't show up when I'm priming to establish the flow from draft.
    Now if you're going to test from a hydrant, I guess the validity of the dry vacuum test increases.

Forum Member

I have both Waterous and Hale pumps at my department. On the vacuum test a year ago, the one Hale pump failed. Cause was a leaking ball valve.

Further investigation revealed that the valve(s) on this pump are the Hale Touret style and need constant lubrication. The sales rep and manufacturer we purchased the pumper from never said a word about this and the supplied manual from them was/is a joke. We used to use the same company for our yearly pump tests until a few years ago, when we switched. The change-over turned up several problems that I've been addressing over the last 3 years. Expensive lesson learned.

In the end, I tore down each valve, cleaned them, replaced the seals if needed - three out of 9 were bad, loaded them up with green grease and we haven't had a problem since.

The Waterous pump has Akron valves. I've had leaky valves but nothing that caused a vacuum failure. I've gone to using Elkhart SS ball valve replacement kits and no more leaks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I will work with our Chief Engineer and service tech along with Hale to see if the automatic relay relief valve should have a regular lubrication schedule.

Thread Information