Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Integrated ladder belt or seperate???

I am just getting finished with my entry level training and during ladder work I could not do a leg lock without getting my bigfeet stuck .I am wondering if having my gear modified to have a built in ladder belt (morning pride) would be a good investment or just use a stand alone belt that I would just grab as needed.

I talked to my chief and he said we don't do much ladder work and we currently don't have a ladder truck (that should be changing in a few years). He also mentioned that I probably wouldn't want to be carrying the integrated unit around all the time as it would get heavy.

Forum Member

are you a clown or something?

check out fire engineering training minute videos. Ciampo has a short video of doing a modified leg lock that works pretty good. I dont like leg locks and wouldnt want to be hooked to a ladder if you have to get off that ladder quickly you are screwed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Squad1LT View Post
    I dont like leg locks and wouldnt want to be hooked to a ladder if you have to get off that ladder quickly you are screwed.
    The above sums it up for me.

I have never done a leg lock outside of being taught how to. Quite frankly its a useless technique.

In my experience its far more likely that ladder will spin to the side if you distribute your weight that far over and at that point I don't want to be stuck in it. (someone should of course be footing that ladder, but manpower issues don't always make that a possibility in the real world)

My bunker pants have the Gemtor harness with the large pompier hook that can be clipped onto a run if needed. Its hardly any added weight.

If it matters that much to you, carry some webbing and a large carabiner you can just wrap it around yourself and clip to the rung.

Gemtor 541NYC will solve this issue plus a few you didn't know you had. I have one and after a while you forget it's there.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information