Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Momentary Freak Out

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    Any one who's never been scared or at least a little freaked out is probably too stupid to know better. Or has never done much. A couple of deep breaths and a quick mental review of our training will usually get us through these things. It's amazing how alone you can suddenly feel, even though help is normally real close by. When push comes to shove, call for help early rather than late. Mayday's can be cancelled, funerals can't.
    I couldn't possibly agree more with you. I teach RIT and I always talk about calling early for help, better to take a little ribbing about needing help than your family taking sympathy because your pride got you killed.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    My post WAS intended to help out. I still maintain it is a valid point. When things go bad, it is not acceptable to me to say "oh well, stuff happens". Sometimes the "stuff" doesn't have to happen. THAT is my point. Good leadership and supervision are what is needed. A lot of the trouble we get into turns out upon further inspection to have been preventable, at least to some extent.

An old saying that was passed down to me from a very old time chief: "It's easier to KEEP them out of trouble than it is to GET them out of trouble". This applies to both the firehouse and the fireground.
    Capt, I think we are on the same side, but just coming from different perspectives.

I agree that you make a valid point. There is absolutely preventative things that happen on a fireground that don't need to happen, but I don't think that you disagree that accidents will always happen on the fireground also. You and I could make 100 pushes down a hallway together and not have any isssues, but on the 101st the ceiling falls through and we get tangled in something is what the OP is speaking to. When the unexpected happens and you have that moment of "oh crap", he wants to be more prepared for that. We all should. All the supervision and leadership isn't going to help in situations like this. That's all I'm saying.

It's like the question of which area of the fire service is most important- Prevention, Education or Operations. I maintain that while prevention and education are important (and prevent plenty of calls that never had a chance to happen), you still need operations to cover yourself when accidents happen. Same thing goes with this. I could be up to date on building construction, reading smoke, the crew took a walk-through when they were framing the building, I familiarized myself with this apartment on our last medical call, we just drilled on this neighborhood last set, etc., but still need to know and prepare how to react when the unexpected happens. Because it happens.

Like I said though, I believe we are on the same side just different takes on the question posted.

---Just have to say on a side note to everyone, it's so nice to have a discussion as professionals on a legit topic. Doesn't always happen on here, but there's so much more gained when it doesn't degrade towards name calling or the like. That said, stay safe ***-holes!
    slackjawedyokel likes this.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Capt, I think we are on the same side, but just coming from different perspectives.

I agree that you make a valid point. There is absolutely preventative things that happen on a fireground that don't need to happen, but I don't think that you disagree that accidents will always happen on the fireground also. You and I could make 100 pushes down a hallway together and not have any isssues, but on the 101st the ceiling falls through and we get tangled in something is what the OP is speaking to. When the unexpected happens and you have that moment of "oh crap", he wants to be more prepared for that. We all should. All the supervision and leadership isn't going to help in situations like this. That's all I'm saying.

It's like the question of which area of the fire service is most important- Prevention, Education or Operations. I maintain that while prevention and education are important (and prevent plenty of calls that never had a chance to happen), you still need operations to cover yourself when accidents happen. Same thing goes with this. I could be up to date on building construction, reading smoke, the crew took a walk-through when they were framing the building, I familiarized myself with this apartment on our last medical call, we just drilled on this neighborhood last set, etc., but still need to know and prepare how to react when the unexpected happens. Because it happens.

Like I said though, I believe we are on the same side just different takes on the question posted.

---Just have to say on a side note to everyone, it's so nice to have a discussion as professionals on a legit topic. Doesn't always happen on here, but there's so much more gained when it doesn't degrade towards name calling or the like. That said, stay safe ***-holes!
    We are on the same page. I'm not one of those guys that think all accidents/injuries are preventable. Sometimes stuff happens no matter what we do.
    DeputyChiefGonzo likes this.

I like the videos put out by whenthingsgobad.com. I think they have a lot of good stuff about self rescue and emergency mitigation. I haven't had any training on building construction or fire behavior except from what I have learned on my own, so I always make it a point to research self rescue as well.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    That said, stay safe ***-holes!
    This quote effectively sums up why I absolutely love the Fire Service.
    DeputyChiefGonzo and CCFD615 like this.

Forum Member

Brother we've all been in tight spots before. I can only guess as to what I would have done that would have been to call a mayday if serious enough. If you ever get into trouble like that and get shook up BACK THE HELL OUT, the structure can always wait for the RIC team to come in. Being in that state of mind leads to bad decisions man. I'm glad it worked out for the best and you learned from it, it shows a lot about the kind of person you are that you shared that with us.
    FyredUp and yjbrody like this.

I agree with this last post. If you come across a situation where you get entangled, disoriented, distressed, something doesnt feel right it is time to back out not go further in unless there is a life to be saved. I dont know how much experience you have but if something isn't right to you follow your gut and back out.
    FyredUp and yjbrody like this.

Forum Member

Did you call a mayday?

Does your department SOP require that you call a mayday for entanglement?

Do you feel that in the case that your department may not have required a mayday in that situation, should you have?

What does everybody feel about department SOPs requiring a mayday call in the OP's situation?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

That is one of the problems with SOPs/SOGs -there are a million different degrees of a situation. A lot of times , in the amount of time, it takes to key the radio, you can disentangle yourself. And please guys DONT try and put words in my mouth, all I am saying is SOMETIMES sogs can get in the way of THINKING.
    FyredUp likes this.
    ?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    That is one of the problems with SOPs/SOGs -there are a million different degrees of a situation. A lot of times , in the amount of time, it takes to key the radio, you can disentangle yourself. And please guys DONT try and put words in my mouth, all I am saying is SOMETIMES sogs can get in the way of THINKING.
    It is absolutely impossible to write enough and detailed enough SOGs to even come close to covering all situations, let alone all May Day scenarios. If you are in trouble, stop, calm down, think, if you can disentangle yourself in a minute or so, do so, if you can't, call the May Day. Don't delay more than that though before calling for help.

I believe in calling the May Day, I believe in RIT, but what I don't want to have happen with both of them is that we start to look at them like the constant blare of PASS alarms at every scene that we have trained ourselves to ignore because people are so oblivious they don't realize their PASS is going off while they stand there.
    rm1524 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information