Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gimaex

Forum Member

Default Gimaex

Does anyone know if Gimaex have sold any of there Ladders on Spartan chassis to a Dept yet?

Forum Member

From what I've heard, they haven't sold any. I know at FDIC they were giving demos with their TelStar but they were having issues with the operations of the truck. There were about 6 guys from Gimaex working on it and the truck was moving slower than a turtle.

As for the new 65' truck - I don't believe they have sold any of these either. Usually with new products, the manufacturers tend to do some sort of press release, facebook blast or at least list them on their new deliveries and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I personally just don't see a big market for this truck.

Forum Member

Hi LT2410, Thanks for that.
    I was thinking more of the 100 ft R/M Ladder with cage, should have made it clearer.

Forum Member

I don't believe they have even introduced anything like that yet over here in the States under the Spartan partnership.

Although - Several years ago, Gimaex had a 100' aerial over here with a Plastisol body but I don't think they ever sold it.

There is a picture of it here.
    http://yngfire.com/index.php?topic=8987.15

The only 100' aerial ladder in the States with a rescue cage is the Rosenbauer Raptor.

Forum Member

Thanks for that link, that was the 1 i was thinking of, yes i see there are a few more Metz ladders in the US now.
    A great ladder, i think it will gain more orders slowly over the next couple of years.

Markyc,

When you said "great ladder" were you referring to the Gimaex or the Metz?

LT2410,
    When we toured the Sutphen plant and I was able to get a good look at their SA or SL75 it was interesting. Quite a bit of storage space (website shows over 200 cubic feet) and a large hose bed. As with the Spartan MPA65 I can see a small but specific market for these apparatus. Specifically a smaller department that could use both and aerial and an engine. The SL75 had enough hose bed storage for engine operations, 500 gallons of water and overall equipment storage that if utilized properly could support both the engine and ladder roles. Of course when you are looking at a quint or combination apparatus you seldom have an apparatus that can completely fulfill both roles.
    I am not a fan of the Spartan's reach because I don't think that is enough for basic residential calls based upon set backs. Granted, each department has different building lay outs and in parts of the country there is no lawn, a short distance from curb to foundation and more height. I personally don't think I would recommend anything shorter than a 75'.
    What intrigues me most about the MPA65 is the base price of $425,000. How are they achieving this considering that is about the same price as an engine?

Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Hi Walt,
    Yes referring to Metz:-)
    Fast, well made and very reliable.
    Mark.

Thread Information