MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wellness and Fitness Question

I am working on a Wellness and Fitness application. We are applying to send some staff to take part in the IAFF Peer Fitness Training to become trainers for our department. I notice that they note "transportation expenses" as an ineligible item. The IAFF training tends to take place in another state which would involve travel and lodging. My question is what are they speaking of when they state transportation expenses? My thought is FEMA is stating that transportation to and from the actual fitness activity itself is ineligible. Not transportation to become a trainer and implement a program. Any thoughts or experience with this type of grant?

Forum Member

Travel expenses aren't eligible for any activity thing so back and forth is local expense. Time to hit the expedia.com unpublished specials section. I've found a bunch of great deals there. Went to NC once and ended up paying $50/night for a brand new place with wireless and free internet and others went to another chain for $120+/night with paid internet access and breakfast. Of course my needs are shower, bed, wireless internet, breakfast, option on bed and shower during grant season.

MembersZone Subscriber

What is the travel box under "Additional Funding" for? I'm not doubting you at all but to be honest, if I can afford to send members to training and fund the travel portion I shouldn't need the funding for the Wellness and Fitness training at all. Doesn't seem to make logical sense.

My other question is I am slightly confused on where to enter the training portion in the Wellness and Fitness program for the IAFF Peer Fitness Training. The guidance seems to state it should be placed in the "other" box under "Additional Funding". Just wasn't sure if this should be put under training somewhere or in the above mentioned area. I have a document from the IAFC that states to enter it as a budget item with an object class as contractual. The guidance seems to state something different.

Lastly, if I put in for the overtime expense to cover those who are attending the training where does this get entered? I would guess it goes in under a budget item or under "Additional Funding".

I'm applying for a decent amount of equipment. Any tips on how much is too much? I do want to apply for what we need to make it work but I don't want something appearing like a laundry list either.

BTW we do already meet all of the Priority 1 items.

Forum Member

Per the PG under the Eligible: Travel expenses associated with Type 3 Incident Management Teams (IMT) attending position development/mentoring assignment with national Type 2 or Type 1 IMT’s

That's the only mention of travel being eligible. Never has been in the past but worth a phone call to find out from one of the decision makers.

If you are requesting fitness equipment you can put the Peer Fitness training under Additional Funding, Contractual because it's training related to the equipment, IAFC doc is correct. It's like asking for FF1 with PPE.

OT would be contractual also, or Personnel.

The usual answer on how much to ask for, which is how much would reasonably be used. 10 cardio machines for a station where there's 3-4 on a shift? Little much. Even if fitness time is mandatory not everyone should be doing it at once anyway, so the usual term of "reasonable" comes into play. Couple of cardio machines, weight machines. Enough for as many are going to work out at the same time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the assistance. I did call the help desk and they looked into it. As far as Wellness and Fitness goes, travel expenses ARE NOT ELIGIBILE in any way. I guess I will have to figure that out on my own.

Forum Member

Time to start working on the 2014 grant program, and the guys want me try our luck at fitness equipment. I hope they aren't trying to tell "me" something. If anyone has some good information on what makes a grant successful, I would like to hear from you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chief1120 View Post
    Time to start working on the 2014 grant program, and the guys want me try our luck at fitness equipment. I hope they aren't trying to tell "me" something. If anyone has some good information on what makes a grant successful, I would like to hear from you.
    Chief as always the first place to begin is with the 2013 FOA and read up everything that they have to say about W&F. Next step a, call to program office in DC and talk to a Subject Matter Expert to see if there are any changes proposed to 2014 W&F areas.A W&F program has a lot of pre-requisite things that need to be on place to be successful so I highly suggest a good thorough read before proceeding. If you are a union shop be sure that anything you propose is going to float with the union before proposing a program which you would not be able to enforce.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information