Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default 20 minutes from nearest VFD, how hard to get on?

I live in the middle of the burbs, so the nearest VFD to me is 20 minutes. I talked to them about that being a restriction to joining, they said "it depends". I have my interview with them next week.
    My biggest question is, how can I help from so far away? What can I contribute?
    I'm willing to do whatever, down to carrying gear in my truck and meeting them on the scene. Any insight into this situation would be appreciated.

They were right, it does depend. If they don't have a problem it should be okay. But a lot of departments have minimum training hours, minimum meetings and minimum runs that a member must meet to be in good standing. Also, our Chief worries about someone responding from that far away and if the insurance would cover them if they were to get into an accident.
    If the dept. says it is okay and you can commit enough time to be a valuable member, go for it.
    As far as what you can contribute, well, you can contribute a lot if you are dedicated. Volunteer outfits rarely get enough people to the station at the first page, and if it is a working fire you can never have enough help. If you live in grass fire country you can spell off someone who has to get back to work. Just tell them you are here to help.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

MembersZone Subscriber

It definitely depends on the department. We get enough calls that people can stay at the station for a few hours a week and make their calls. We do have some home response for big incidents, but most of the time we have people in the station to staff the first piece.

Forum Member

Thanks guys. I honestly hadn't thought of hanging out at the station couple times a week. Not a bad idea to go there to study for my EMT class.

There are a lot of people who live within minutes of their station, but work further out. They're still an asset, even if it means helping to pick up after the call.

Living a distance from the station means you won't get the first out apparatus unless you're in the station, of course.

A lot of stations do encourage their folks to hang out - although it never hurts to accomplish something while you're there (cleaning, training, you-name-it). Very few discourage it, unless they've had problems. And some have duty nights, where you're expected to work a shift or two a month. I know of one that requires twenty-four hours a month of in-station duty.

Remember that interviews are a two-way street. They may be trying to determine if you're the right fit for them, but you'll be doing the same thing.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Remember that interviews are a two-way street. They may be trying to determine if you're the right fit for them, but you'll be doing the same thing.
    Tree makes a very good point. Be sure to find out what their expectations are and if they have duty crews, if people hang out at the station, or if it's purely home response. Also check into training requirements and the timing and location of that training.

Forum Member

Thank you, good points all.

Sounds like it will be a quick process. They said to bring a change of clothes, because if the interview goes well we'll go straight to training.

Forum Member

Just wanted to let you know I interviewed last night and was accepted. Thanks all!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Bill View Post
    Just wanted to let you know I interviewed last night and was accepted. Thanks all!
    Outstanding! Congratulations and make sure you train like your life depends on it....because it does!

Thread Information