Forum Member

Default New here and need some advice.

Hello everyone!

Been lurking for a little while and have enjoyed this site. I do need some helpful advice continuing my career to become a full time FF.

I am 37 years old now, divorced father of 2. I have 2 years Fire Science but still dont have my AA Degree in FS. Was also a PCF for Merced County for a little while back in early 2000s. Well I got married and got into a family towing business. Each day that passes I can not believe I gave up on my dream to become a full time FF. My current business was going really well but there is just no future in it, no retirement, zero benifits and the market has drastically changed.

So, I just got a grant that will cover my cost of school. At 37 every choice I make now is critical because time isnt on my side anymore.

I have never completed a Fire Academy and would really like to do that before getting my EMT. Do you reccomend the EMT or the Fire Academy first? Also, I am trying to apply with the City of Manteca as a reserve FF this next season and they require the EMT within 6 months after hire but require you to have your FF1 first. Seems like some stations are differant. I believe I have completed all my core classes with Fire Science and have the cert, have CPR and First Aide.

Are there any Northern or Central CA FF Stations that will send you to their own academy prior to getting hired? For instance CALFIRE? I know its seasonal but will they help get your FF1? My hopes are getting on at CALFIRE for experience and then go from there. My grant will still be available after the season is over.

Again, any advice is appreciated.

Thank you

Forum Member

Check as many city web sites to see what the requirements are just to apply and get them.

Also check if any cities have upper age limit

Suggest get emt first

Suggest you go talk to firefighters in different cities for advice

Forum Member

Thank you fire49

Since my post I was awarded a 5k grant for schooling. I am going to apply at Cal-Fire for seasonal as well.

Forum Member

Get your EMT first. Not only that, I would consider applying to multiple departments in the area. There's always a chance. Take it from somebody who got hired by a big city with no experience, it's not always about what you know, it's more about securing an interview and showing your passion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    Get your EMT first. Not only that, I would consider applying to multiple departments in the area. There's always a chance. Take it from somebody who got hired by a big city with no experience, it's not always about what you know, it's more about securing an interview and showing your passion.
    I agree with the above quote.

It would be in your best interest to at least secure one of the two certs (EMT and FF1) while applying anywhere and everywhere. If you get your EMT, you may be able to work for the department as EMS until they put you in/while you're in Academy (if you haven't gone or need to go through theirs).

And if you're unable to get in right away, you can always build your experience as an EMT which will help in the long run.

Like you said, now decisions are critical, and if it were me, I'd apply everywhere state wide. Commute/move my family/out of state even. That is me though and I wish you best of luck sir.

Thread Information