Like Tree9Likes

Thread: PPE tools

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default PPE tools

    Forgive me if this has been covered before, I assume it has, but I went back about 7 pages and did not really see anything on it, but I may have just missed it. Aside from a helmet light and a knife, what other tools do you guys recommend to have in your gear? Also, how big of a knife do you guys carry? Thanks.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    26

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha189 View Post
    Forgive me if this has been covered before, I assume it has, but I went back about 7 pages and did not really see anything on it, but I may have just missed it. Aside from a helmet light and a knife, what other tools do you guys recommend to have in your gear? Also, how big of a knife do you guys carry? Thanks.
    I carry at a minimum in my turn-out gear:

    1) 6 way screw driver
    2) Gerber multi-tool
    3) Side cutters
    4) Fiskars snips
    5) 25 foot piece of 1 inch webbing
    6) Either a TFT floding spanner or a Channel Lock cable cutter spanner tool
    7) On my coat a Survivor xl90 right angle flashlight

    On my gut belt I carry:

    1) 25 foot piece of 1 inch webbing daisy chained with a carabiner
    2) 9 foot piece of 1 inch webbing daisy chained with a carabiner
    3) Spyderco folding knife
    4) Vice Grip multi-tool

    On my helmet:

    1) 4 wedges
    2) 2 door latch straps
    3) Flashlight

    Yeah, I have been called a walking tool box.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I carry at a minimum in my turn-out gear:

    1) 6 way screw driver
    2) Gerber multi-tool
    3) Side cutters
    4) Fiskars snips
    5) 25 foot piece of 1 inch webbing
    6) Either a TFT floding spanner or a Channel Lock cable cutter spanner tool
    7) On my coat a Survivor xl90 right angle flashlight

    On my gut belt I carry:

    1) 25 foot piece of 1 inch webbing daisy chained with a carabiner
    2) 9 foot piece of 1 inch webbing daisy chained with a carabiner
    3) Spyderco folding knife
    4) Vice Grip multi-tool

    On my helmet:

    1) 4 wedges
    2) 2 door latch straps
    3) Flashlight

    Yeah, I have been called a walking tool box.
    You can never have too many tools. What size knife do you carry? I want to get one big enough to do the job, but no so big that it is a hazard to have in a pocket. Thanks for taking your time to answer.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    3 inch serated blade.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    3 inch serated blade.
    Okay thanks.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

    On my helmet:

    1) 4 wedges
    2) 2 door latch straps
    3) Flashlight
    Fixed that for you...

    On your 4 wedges:

    1) A helmet
    2) 2 door latch straps
    3) Flashlight

    Just busting balls, but I can't even picture where that all goes! It sounds very pointy though.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    In the band on my lid- A garrity light and 2 chocks.

    Pockets of coat: cheap folding knife, 3" serrated blade.
    cheap multi-plier tool
    15' webbing with small loops pre-tied in each end.
    Roll of electrical tape
    hard case to put my glasses in when I mask up
    Clipped to the outside of the coat: selection of alarm panel keys
    shove knife
    firefighting gloves on that loop-thingy


    Pockets of pants: cheap leather work gloves
    film canister with med gloves
    lineman's pliers (thinking about buying one of those modified channel-locks)
    30' of 9mm cord with two beaners (my own escape device.) (Kept in a heavy
    plastic bag to keep from getting wet or dirty.
    set of those allen wrenches on the key ring (for resetting manual pull stations.)
    10' length of webbing pre-tied into a loop.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    In the band on my lid- A garrity light and 2 chocks.

    Pockets of coat: cheap folding knife, 3" serrated blade.
    cheap multi-plier tool
    15' webbing with small loops pre-tied in each end.
    Roll of electrical tape
    hard case to put my glasses in when I mask up
    Clipped to the outside of the coat: selection of alarm panel keys
    shove knife
    firefighting gloves on that loop-thingy


    Pockets of pants: cheap leather work gloves
    film canister with med gloves
    lineman's pliers (thinking about buying one of those modified channel-locks)
    30' of 9mm cord with two beaners (my own escape device.) (Kept in a heavy
    plastic bag to keep from getting wet or dirty.
    set of those allen wrenches on the key ring (for resetting manual pull stations.)
    10' length of webbing pre-tied into a loop.
    If you are thinking of one of the channel lock "rescue" type pliers -I bought a pair -don't like them -especially the sharp window punch. I recently bought a pair of the redesigned channel lock lineman pliers and really pleased. Nice leverage -and of course American made. Oh and 2 wedges in helmet band ,streamlight on coat, pants pocket - lineman pliers (9")-folding spanner-two cheap stainless knives- window punch, inside coat pocket small leatherman-
    FWDbuff likes this.
    ?

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    If you are thinking of one of the channel lock "rescue" type pliers -I bought a pair -don't like them -especially the sharp window punch. I recently bought a pair of the redesigned channel lock lineman pliers and really pleased. Nice leverage -and of course American made.
    Thanks bro, I will look into that.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    I have the original Channel lock pliers and I liked them other than the fact that they are monsterously big. If they would shorten it up about 2 inches it would be perfect. If you buy a pair I suggest somehow covering otherwisethe window punch point, it will decimate your coat pocket in short order. I also have the modifed version which has a cable cutter instead of the linesman pliers and has no window punch. It is far shorter and fits in the pocket better.
    FWDbuff likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Fixed that for you...

    On your 4 wedges:

    1) A helmet
    2) 2 door latch straps
    3) Flashlight

    Just busting balls, but I can't even picture where that all goes! It sounds very pointy though.
    Okay here we go.

    A wedge om each side behind the helmet front, one on each side of the front held in place by the inner tube strap. The inner tube door straps are folded in half and stuffed behind the inner tube strap. The flashlight is a UK4AA and is held in place by a UK screw on mount.

    I know, I know, but I have used them all and it is nice to have them handy. Besides I really don't have much of a neck so it is no big deal to carry!!
    yjbrody and FF14 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I know, I know, but I have used them all and it is nice to have them handy. Besides I really don't have much of a neck so it is no big deal to carry!!
    Not knocking it. Everyone has their own setup that works for them. At least we work for depts were helmet bands are ok.

    My contribution:

    Helmet: 1 wedge, flashlight, pic of the family and safety glasses (tucked up inside underneath the suspension)

    Radio pocket: lineman's pliers/cutters and glow sticks (never found a use for these in a real way, but the kiddos love them and are great distractions)

    Clipped to outside: Streamlight with 7-hook attached to that (only used it once in the past, but it worked well)

    Structure gloves in a glovekeeper on my belt

    Coat pockets: leather gloves, extrication gloves, leatherman, 3rd flashlight because Murphy's Law, medical gloves, short loop of webbing, firefighter action figure that my daughter gave me for good luck, sunflower seeds for long scene times (Dill Pickle or Bacon you nosy bastards)

    Pants pockets: Pocket o' wedges, 20ft looped webbing connected with beaner, cable cutter, utility knife with window punch

    Geez, looks a little silly when it's all typed out...
    Last edited by yjbrody; 11-15-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Link not working
    FF14 likes this.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Geez, looks a little silly when it's all typed out...
    If somebody else had posted the same thing, you'd have figured they were a wacker extrordinaire, at least until you realized you're carrying the same stuff.

    As for me - Nothing on the helmet (I'm 63 - I have enough trouble holding the danged helmet up ), linemen's pliers, folding utility knife, a roll of webbing, door chock (plastic), hood, and extrication gloves in the various pockets. Got a couple of carabiners on the gear bag, so I know where they are.

    I'm usually running the engine, but I keep a few "interior" things handy, just in case.
    yjbrody and FF14 like this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    yjbrody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    If somebody else had posted the same thing, you'd have figured they were a wacker extrordinaire, at least until you realized you're carrying the same stuff.
    No kidding. The first step in getting help is admitting you have a problem.

    "Guys, my name is Brody and I carry too much stuff..."
    FF14 likes this.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Schenectady, NY
    Posts
    464

    Default

    So, Tree you don't have to carry one of those bailout systems? We have to have them to keep our mask. With the harness it added another 6-8 pounds to my gear. I'm sure someone will decide they need to have an expiration date, and they will have to be taken put of service without ever being used.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    225

    Default

    YJBRODY how good are bacon flavored sunflower seeds???

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitguy51 View Post
    So, Tree you don't have to carry one of those bailout systems?
    Forgot about that. Mine's in my pants pocket, the rest are on the airpacks.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    If somebody else had posted the same thing, you'd have figured they were a wacker extrordinaire, at least until you realized you're carrying the same stuff.

    As for me - Nothing on the helmet (I'm 63 - I have enough trouble holding the danged helmet up ), linemen's pliers, folding utility knife, a roll of webbing, door chock (plastic), hood, and extrication gloves in the various pockets. Got a couple of carabiners on the gear bag, so I know where they are.

    I'm usually running the engine, but I keep a few "interior" things handy, just in case.
    63? Dude, you are a fossil!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    63? Dude, you are a fossil!
    Still pack qualified, and usually on the first due.

    Of course, I'm retired from "day jobs" and live about three blocks from the firehouse...
    FF14 likes this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    ffmace161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    This is What i carry. Take what you wish from it.

    coat: left pocket: safety glasses inside of 2 ems gloves to protect, one pair of ems gloves

    right pocket:trauma shears,a few pens

    pants: right pocket: RIT bag organizer ( i love it) in the bag i have 15ft webbing tied with a water knot and a carabiner. pliers,wire cutter. out side of bag Res-Q-Rench, knife W/ seat belt cutter,4 wedges

    left:extrication gloves, structural gloves

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Still pack qualified, and usually on the first due.

    Of course, I'm retired from "day jobs" and live about three blocks from the firehouse...
    Me too, except I am 55, retired from the career FD and live a half mile from POC FD#1, and 5 miles from POC FD #2.

    Still crazy after all these years!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffmace161 View Post
    This is What i carry. Take what you wish from it.

    coat: left pocket: safety glasses inside of 2 ems gloves to protect, one pair of ems gloves

    right pocket:trauma shears,a few pens

    pants: right pocket: RIT bag organizer ( i love it) in the bag i have 15ft webbing tied with a water knot and a carabiner. pliers,wire cutter. out side of bag Res-Q-Rench, knife W/ seat belt cutter,4 wedges

    left:extrication gloves, structural gloves
    If I might, I suggest adding a 6 way screwdriver. The kind that has a phillips head, flat head, torx and square drive bits. You would be surprised how often that comes in handy.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  25. #25
    Forum Member
    ToDaRoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Lid: Garrity light and 2 chocks.
    Radio pocket: 25' of rope and a 'biner (got idea from vententersearch)
    Coat pockets: serrated knife, shove knife, 6-in-1 screwdriver, a few door tags.
    Pants pockets: work gloves, 6 & 12' rolls of 2" webbing, vice-grips w/ chain, and modified Channel-Locks.
    I also have a tool bag that I keep on the rig, has a few more tools, extrication gloves & eye pro, spare hood, gloves, and the like. If you think you'll need something out of it, take it out while going down the road instead of carrying all of that extra weight with you. It's a good storage place for an 18" FatMax, too.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best Tools and Worse Tools????
    By DCFD1415 in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 09:42 PM
  2. Tools
    By pyro6999 in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 11:19 PM
  3. tools
    By firenat22 in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 02:14 AM
  4. Tools...
    By RescueJay in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-05-2000, 01:27 AM
  5. Combi tools or dedicated tools
    By HYTHE FIRE DEPARTMENT in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-13-2000, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register