Thread: No EMT?

Forum Member

Default No EMT?

Does anyone know of any Depts that hire without EMT? Most I've seen lately even ask for paramedic. I've been a full time police officer for almost ten years and been a vollie FD guy for about 4 total. I figure I'm probably going to have to get it sooner rather than later and I know the med side of the job is the future of most Depts with budget cuts and the combination of EMS and fire crews in the same house. I went through the 2 week academy in Hutch, KS and received my FF1, FF2, hazmat awareness and hazmat ops but for some reason the academics of EMT class freaks me out! Kind of just wondering if there's any "bare bones" firemen anymore.

Let's talk fire trucks!

My department hires non-EMT's, but you receive the certification as part of the academy. EMS is such a large part of the modern fire service its hard to find a career department that doesn't require EMT at least by the time you hit the streets.

EMT really isn't all that hard, don't psych yourself out about it.

Forum Member

I can't think of any Departments that do not require it either as a prerequisite or that have it as part of their basic training- which by the way you should research because many departments (especially on the east coast) have NO prerequisites to get hired other than be 18 or 21 and hold a HS Diploma or GED. City of Philadelphia for example- zero prerequisites. none. nichts. zero. nadda. nein. nuzzing. Just a heartbeat, a drivers license and a diploma or ged. All training provided during your fire academy period (18 weeks)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Most departments here in VA don't require EMT before employment. Some places may look more favorably if you have it (especially paramedic) but most of the time it is not required.

Forum Member

Plus being a police officer standing there as a firefighter and someone needs basic emt help and you do not know what to do or have not kept in practice

It makes you feel more than helpless

Forum Member

Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully I can get it knocked out next spring or fall... Not really wanting to move out east it was just kind of a off the wall question I was wondering about. Thanks again.

Thread Information