Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fire49

Thread: Dispatch App for Volunteers?

Forum Member

Thumbs up Dispatch App for Volunteers?

Hello everyone! My name is Joe Barreca and I am currently working on an iPhone and Android app that can be very useful for firefighters and EMS workers. My friend Steve and I are working on this app primarily for volunteers to make it easier for you to communicate who is responding to an alarm without wasting time sending text messages back and forth.

Iím not trying to sell anything Ė just looking to learn about your current problems so we can build something that helps you all. I have some questions regarding how dispatching currently works and how we can make it better. We currently have a working prototype and are looking for people interested in BETA testing this app.

If you are interested in either just let me know!

Forum Member

There is one out there

Active 911 seems to work good

IAmResponding.com

Your too late.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

For those getting text messages already from their CAD, CADPage works pretty good. Has a number of features like mapping and the ability to initiate a call to systems like IAmResponding, etc. Will also launch a scanner app if you want. It's worth the $10 a year.

If there's a downside to all of them, it's the address parsing for mapping, but no single app is going to fix that - even the major mapping programs (Google, Bing, Acme Mapper) sometimes have trouble properly locating a prefectly valid address.

Our county dispatch wants nothing to do with response status for individuals. They'll set a dispatch messaging up out of the CAD for programs like IAR (and there are several others), but after that it's on the individual department.

As Bones suggests, unless you've come up with a better mousetrap, you're too late.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Yep, another I Am Responding user here. Tree68 outlined many of the features that make this such a useful app.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Thank you all for the replies, they were very helpful. It sounds like we are late to the party!

Any suggestions (outside of improved mapping) that would make this app really stand out?

Forum Member

Free and works

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Free and works
    Would it beneficial to see which of your crew members are responding from your phone instead of one centralized location?

Quote Originally Posted by dispatchly View Post
    Would it beneficial to see which of your crew members are responding from your phone instead of one centralized location?
    IAR strikes again. I can also send out texts over the system using the app on my phone, as well as update my schedule. Actually, because I'm the primary administrator for us, I can do a lot of the stuff I can do from a PC - right through my phone.

I have no experience with the other similar systems, so I can't speak to their capabilities. They have ads in Firehouse.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    IAR strikes again. I can also send out texts over the system using the app on my phone, as well as update my schedule. Actually, because I'm the primary administrator for us, I can do a lot of the stuff I can do from a PC - right through my phone.

I have no experience with the other similar systems, so I can't speak to their capabilities. They have ads in Firehouse.
    Sounds similar to what we have designed. Are the other users who aren't the administrator able to see who's responding? What type of data can they see from their phone?

Forum Member

Active 911 shows where people on the app are located

https://www.active911.com/node/1

I used it for awhile just did not want to pay and do not need it for my job
    Last edited by fire49; 11-16-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Sounds similar to what we have designed. Are the other users who aren't the administrator able to see who's responding? What type of data can they see from their phone?
    Yes, IAR has an app for both Droid and iPhone that allow you to see who else is responding (whether they're going to the scene or the station), as well as send text messages and/or e-mails to other users, set up your duty crew schedules, and the like. As a chief officer, it's an invaluable app for me as I determine my staffing (or lack thereof).
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

You can get a free trial of IAmResponding I think. You might want to check it out before you infringe on their design with your app.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

We use IAR and edispatch. IAR is great for scheduling, responses, emails, texts, etc. edispatch is good for backing up VHF pagers in bad reception areas or if you left it at home by accident.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    We use IAR and edispatch. IAR is great for scheduling, responses, emails, texts, etc. edispatch is good for backing up VHF pagers in bad reception areas or if you left it at home by accident.
    What would be great is an app that combined both features of edispatch and I am responding... Page comes over, app opens, and requests you give it a status.

That would be nice.

Thread Information