Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Helmets: Suggestions?

Forum Member

I wear a Cairns N5A Leather New Yorker w/ Bourkes god himself couldn't see through. I always keep a pair of safety glasses in my bunker coat for vehicle extrications and or other various ops where eye protection is needed. NFPA is, has, and always will be changing and it seems hard to keep up at times. I just am a fan of the traditional helmet. Ive actually heard that you can take a Cairns 1010 thats NFPA compliant and throw a sticker on it like many people do and it becomes instantly Non-compliant.
    Last edited by firedan525; 12-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Forum Member

I think the important thing here for the high school volunteer to remember is although you are well served to keep your own best interests in mind both on the fireground and in selecting your safety gear, there are some people that have been doing this a lot longer, with some really good reasons for adopting these codes. Although you may not have experienced anything to the contrary, don't let the opinions of those around you direct your actions regarding your own personal safety. I'm not saying follow all the rules to the letter, just don't be so quick to dismiss them, especially when it comes to selecting a brain bucket, very significant piece.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CATruckie81 View Post
    I think the important thing here for the high school volunteer to remember is although you are well served to keep your own best interests in mind both on the fireground and in selecting your safety gear, there are some people that have been doing this a lot longer, with some really good reasons for adopting these codes. Although you may not have experienced anything to the contrary, don't let the opinions of those around you direct your actions regarding your own personal safety. I'm not saying follow all the rules to the letter, just don't be so quick to dismiss them, especially when it comes to selecting a brain bucket, very significant piece.
    Well said!

Forum Member

I ended up getting my clarification from someone 'NFPA does not exist in this department'.. lol okay then... I will try and keep with it, but I will probably end up with something along the lines of a New Yorker or something...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post
    I ended up getting my clarification from someone 'NFPA does not exist in this department'.. lol okay then... I will try and keep with it, but I will probably end up with something along the lines of a New Yorker or something...
    Right on brother!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post
    Let me be brutally blunt, and if you can't handle that I suggest you stop reading at this point and continue to live in fantasy land.

NFPA is a standards making organization and whether you like it or not it is commonly used in litigation whether or not your fire department chooses to say things like "NFPA does not exist in this department." Ignorance of the standards or choosing to pretend they do not apply to you or your departmentis not a viable defense. It surely didn't work for Alan Baird when he chose to completely ignore NFPA 1403.

The part so many refuse to accept is even if your state or fire department hasn't adopted these standards a sharp attorney will use them against you. Personally, I couldn't begin to pretend to care less what you wear for a helmet, but flippantly ignoring standards doesn't make you look cool, or tough, or avant garde. It makes you look foolish. Especially if you are counting on things like insurance coverage if you are injured.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I have a lion/conway American classic. It's fiberglass. I personally like the look of leathers but I don't have the money. I love my helmet though. One piece of advice I will add, is that if you get goggles for your helmet, Don't get bourkes. I did and it is a pain in the *** trying to put my goggles on my face with the bourkes. I bought my helmet here:

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...Shield-Holder/

Thread Information