Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Denver Fire 2013/14

Forum Member

Excited to see my score right after the test. Fairly average though, 89.5

Kinda bummed, and highly doubt I will move on. Can't compete with preference points.

Anyone else test this week or soon??

Quote Originally Posted by coheed85 View Post
    Excited to see my score right after the test. Fairly average though, 89.5

Kinda bummed, and highly doubt I will move on. Can't compete with preference points.

Anyone else test this week or soon??
    Well, great job! Just think about the great job you did taking the test and that you actually took the test. Yes, there are preference points, but you have to have hope. I fly out in two weeks for mine and just focused on doing the best that I can. If you don't mind, how long is the test?
    Sean, VP IAFF Local 61

Forum Member

Does anyone know what score it's taken in the past to be in the top?

Forum Member

Last testing I scored a little over 95% and was ranked 147. I am not sure what the cut off was but it wasn't much lower than a 95.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Marimba View Post
    Would you say the test is easy, hard? Trick questions? Math word problems? What are the interpersonal skills - emotional outlook questions like?

You got through the written? Did you make it through? If not, where did you get hung up? If you don't mind me asking of course.
    I made it to the certified to the manager list and was passed over twice. Once you get passed over two times your name gets removed from the list even if the list is still good. The test it self was fairly easy and was pretty straight forward. There was not anything in the test that I would consider tricky at all. I don't really remember the details about the test but i felt it was very similar to the DRCOG test if you have ever taken that one. I would take as mant practice test as i could to prepare. You can find books online to buy and some libraries will have them to check out. As for the process as a whole the hardest part is the waiting!! Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Could not take advantage of the Preference Points because I am still in. Bummer. Hopefully I won't need them, but I am not optimistic. I scored 96.7%.

Forum Member

~97% seems like it'd be a pretty decent score. It was capped to 1000 tests right?

Either way I just realized I'm testing the day before the super bowl and I'm from Seattle. Think I'd leave alive if I showed up in as much Seahawks gear as I can wear?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nebo View Post
    ~97% seems like it'd be a pretty decent score. It was capped to 1000 tests right?

Either way I just realized I'm testing the day before the super bowl and I'm from Seattle. Think I'd leave alive if I showed up in as much Seahawks gear as I can wear?
    I think you would survie but you might get heckled a little bit! That is the day that i am testing as well.

For those that have taken the test this go around could you please remind me how many questions were on the test. I took it the last go around but can not remember how many questions there were. Also was the test pretty much the same or has it changed at all?
    Last edited by James004; 01-22-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling

To the guys with scheduled times, what time are you getting to the test site? Any problems with parking or getting to where you need to go?

Forum Member

I took the test this morning and I am so glad that part is over!! With it being a Saturday there was very little traffic and plenty of parking available. I got there about 6:35 and that gave me plenty of time. Some walk in candidates came in around the same time and were able to get a spot as well. I am not sure how many walk ins they had but there was atleast 9 when i got seated at 7:00. However this is a Saturday and there is snow in the ground so that could make a huge difference. I ended up with a 97.8 so hopefully that will get me a good ranking. I wish I was more fluent in spanish or a veteran because those extra points would have been icing on the cake. Good luck guys and gals.

Forum Member

Is that score for the whole test or just the two components that count? What was the hardest part? Can you go back and change answers, review answers?
    The test is pass/ fail. That is the score for the two components that count and that is the score that you get ranked by. You can go back to review and change answers. I really can't say what the hardest part of the test is as I feel that this test in general is pretty simple. When are you scheduled to take your test?

@nebo. How did you do on test day? You got out of there really fast.

Forum Member

-

I'm on the 13th, next Thursday, last day. Only thing that concerns me ARE the two components that count. Math, reading comp., mechanical apt. are pretty easy for me. Those two components that determine your ranking are the unknowns, you know? Just have to do it I guess. I'm flying in so I don't know where 201 Colfax is, well I Google-Directions mapped it, I just don't know which building it is. Prob drive by it day before.
    I highly suggest you do a drive by the day before so you know where you are going. Downtown has alot of one way streets. There are 3 or 4 paid parking lots right near the building. Plan on paying 10 to 15 dollars for the parking.

Quote Originally Posted by James004 View Post
    I ended up with a 97.8 so hopefully that will get me a good ranking.
    Congrats James! That's a helluva score bro, and without pref pts! Should get you a great ranking IMO. Best of luck going forward. Maybe we'll cross paths this time around.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Congrats James! That's a helluva score bro, and without pref pts! Should get you a great ranking IMO. Best of luck going forward. Maybe we'll cross paths this time around.
    Thanks yjbrody. I was starting to wonder where you were at, as I had not seen you pop up in any of the threads lately. Have you already tested for Denver? How did testing go for Colorado Springs? I made band 1 finally but did not get an interview. Hopefully this will be our year!!

@Jesus. Since you have a testing spot reserved 6:00 is plenty early. You could really get there around 6:30 and have nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by James004 View Post
    Thanks yjbrody. I was starting to wonder where you were at, as I had not seen you pop up in any of the threads lately. Have you already tested for Denver? How did testing go for Colorado Springs? I made band 1 finally but did not get an interview. Hopefully this will be our year!!
    Yeah, I've been quiet because I haven't tested yet... next week. Looking forward to taking it though. I'm excited to bounce back from last year's score, but you've set the bar high my friend! I'm usually around the 95-96% range, but I'm gonna have to bring my A game now.

Scheduled to test with the Springs, but last minute I couldn't get the day off work and didn't want to call in sick and screw my co-workers so no test for me this year. I was in the same boat as you last year though... band A, but no interview. Good luck with them though! Think they are opening up a new station last I heard.

Here's hoping '14 is our year!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

What exactly are the two parts of the test that make up your ranking? Or is this something that can't be disclosed? I'm a little confused, this will be my first year testing for the department. Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irons17 View Post
    What exactly are the two parts of the test that make up your ranking? Or is this something that can't be disclosed? I'm a little confused, this will be my first year testing for the department. Thanks in advance
    The two parts that are used for your score are the emotional outlook and interpersonal skills portion. If you go to the Denver fire website the have a detailed explanation of the testing process and how everything is ranked.

Forum Member

James004- looking through the entry level ff exam process flow chart it seems after all is said and done, through the background check to when you're finally placed on the eligible roster, that in the end you are ranked solely by your exam score. In other words, the ones being hired are the ones with the highest score which is not based on anything else besides the exam itself. Am I reading this wrong? I took the test and did well but without preference points it doesn't seem like anyone stands a chance at getting on, so I'm thinking each applicant's background plays some part in the final ranking. Your thoughts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by camdog343 View Post
    James004- looking through the entry level ff exam process flow chart it seems after all is said and done, through the background check to when you're finally placed on the eligible roster, that in the end you are ranked solely by your exam score. In other words, the ones being hired are the ones with the highest score which is not based on anything else besides the exam itself. Am I reading this wrong? I took the test and did well but without preference points it doesn't seem like anyone stands a chance at getting on, so I'm thinking each applicant's background plays some part in the final ranking. Your thoughts?
    To be honest I am not sure how the final ranking process goes. I started out in the last process ranked 147th after the test. I ended up with a ranking in the high 50's by the time I was certified to the manager and ended up being passed over twice. From what I have heard once you get certified to the manager the ranking really does not matter as they hand pick who they want to have an oral board, if they have one, or who gets a conditional job offer if the choose not to have one.

(That is process where the rumored rule of 3 happens. If you are not familiar with the rule of 3, that is where the manager of safety takes 3 files and chooses 1 and puts the other 2 completely aside. Then they take different files and choose 1 and so on.)

Once again I must reiterate that I am not sure how the final ranking and conditional offer process goes but that is my understanding of how things are done. If there is anyone else who has futher in put please expound. Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Thank you for the reply. I am under the impression that it is somewhat of a secret recipe and that nobody really knows, otherwise the process would be flawed. But also this is why if and when selected the new recruit must be so appreciative, because it really is once in a lifetime. Good luck everyone.

Thread Information