Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Denver Fire 2013/14

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Marimba View Post
    not going to say what i got. it was high but not high enough to move on i bet. i think the test was too light on math, reading, etc. and too heavy on the situational stuff. so DFD is okay with people who suck at math and spelling and reading but can handle it when someone uses their personal butter or syrup at the house? i really think it's not fair if you scored high but don't get to continue on because of some arbitrary cut-off score . . . scratch that, the cut-off score was 81 . . . so they set it higher. if you get 81 or above you should get to move on.
    Technically, if you score an 81 and above you have a shot. With that being said they only move forward the top scores due to the fact that over 1000 people tested and it would not make financial sense to move 800 or more people through the rest of the process. It cost the department a lot of money, time, and resources to put together there eligibility list and they do not need a list of 700 people to run 2 academies of 24 people each.

I am not sure how long you have been testing for but from what I hear the average time people test before getting hired on is 3 to 8 years. I have personally been testing for 4 years and have traveled across the continental United States to do so, and I still have not achieved my goal of getting on a department. If this is something that you really want to do you are going to have to check any ego you may have at the door and realize that life is not always fair.

One last point. No matter what job you are trying to get or where you test there will always be a cut off point and they will always only move the top candidates through. That is one thing that will never change.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Marimba View Post
    I here what you're saying. It just seems very "off" to base a candidate's entire worth on situational questions, A LOT of situational questions and not a whit on the other stuff. Of course life isn't fair but it sure as sh*t is frustrating sometimes. Other thing is: why bother giving a toss-off math, reading, spelling-grammar portion of a test if it doesn't matter whatsoever?! That's insane.

I think the cutoff for testing was 800 this time + walk-ins.? Pretty sure it said the app will close once 800 have applied to test.
    They will still test over 1000.

The test is what it is. Also they don't really base your worth on a situational test. Its just a single part of the puzzle. If you were to move on with Denver you would witness how much detail about everything they go into.

I may add the test seems to have served its point. Base just on your responses here you sound like a know it all. That is having trouble dealing with an unfavorable situation. I wouldn't want to work with that kind of person.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Check your emails...

Forum Member

The math,reading,spelling and grammar are an important part of the test. In order to pass the test you must pass that portion of the test.

How the test was graded and weighted was not a secret. They stated very clearly that the ranking would be based off of the combined score of the emotional outlook and interpersonal skills portion of the test. If that was not ok with you then you probably should not of taken the test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slurth View Post
    Check your emails...
    I have not recevied an email yet!!! Is it laying out the timing for the next step?

Forum Member

What exactly is a suitability test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie11628 View Post
    What exactly is a suitability test?
    The suitability test has a few hundred questions on it and they are all the agree/ disagree scenario type questions.

When is that scheduled for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by James004 View Post
    I have not recevied an email yet!!! Is it laying out the timing for the next step?
    I got mine at lunchtime telling me the next steps as well as my overall score and rank. Last name starts with a C so maybe they are hitting alphabetically.

Forum Member

The suitability test has a few hundred questions on it and they are all the agree/ disagree scenario type questions.

When is that scheduled for?
    It says it's scheduled for 3/10. Does anyone know if DFD accepts the National CPAT?

Forum Member

I got my email today as well. For anyone out of town, it pretty much sounds like plan on spending the week of March 10th to 14th out there. It looks like they will try and group things together to help us out.

Forum Member

I got mine at lunchtime telling me the next steps as well as my overall score and rank. Last name starts with a C so maybe they are hitting alphabetically.
    I like the theory but my last name starts with a D so who knows. They could also be going by testing dates. I tested pretty late in the process. Let the anticipation begin. Lol.

Forum Member

It says it's scheduled for 3/10. Does anyone know if DFD accepts the National CPAT?
    No. Denver only accepts there cpat. So even if you have it you have to go through theirs.

Forum Member

I like the theory but my last name starts with a D so who knows. They could also be going by testing dates. I tested pretty late in the process. Let the anticipation begin. Lol.
    Better check every five seconds or you might miss it!

Forum Member

Better check every five seconds or you might miss it!
    Haha, the sad thing is I have been checking every 5 minutes. Is everyone who
    has received the email from out of town?

Forum Member

I am from Illinois and took my test Tuesday. I am # 69 right now.

Forum Member

I am from Illinois and took my test Tuesday. I am # 69 right now.
    Congrats. So I guess my theory about them sending out the email based on testing date was wrong. My new theory is that they are sending it to out of state candidates first.

If you don't mind me asking what was your final score to get that ranking?
    Last edited by James004; 02-14-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Forum Member

Congrats. So I guess my theory about them sending out the email based on testing date was wrong. My new theory is that they are sending it to out of state candidates first.

If you don't mind me asking what was your final score to get that ranking?
    I don't mind at all! I am very proud of my score as well as everyone should be that passed. I scored a 97.8.

Forum Member

They are moving very fast with this process!

Forum Member

I don't mind at all! I am very proud of my score as well as everyone should be that passed. I scored a 97.8.
    I should be ranked right about the same spot then. I got a 97.8 as well!!! I hope the process goes just as fast for the guys who live in town!! The last testing process was very spread out.

Forum Member

They are moving very fast with this process!
    It appears to be going fast. There is still a lot ahead. CPAT will not likely be till May/June. The current list is still active till Sept. If you are out of state they do work with you on the suitability testing and knock that out fairly quickly.

James I got my email earlier this afternoon and I am local springs area.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    It appears to be going fast. There is still a lot ahead. CPAT will not likely be till May/June. The current list is still active till Sept. If you are out of state they do work with you on the suitability testing and knock that out fairly quickly.

James I got my email earlier this afternoon and I am local springs area.
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I will give Mr. Wilson a call on Monday if I don't getthe an email over the week end.

Forum Member

I'm a Colorado native, so your hypothesis doesn't stand up Haha. Maybe they are notifying by placement rank?

Forum Member

I'm a Colorado native, so your hypothesis doesn't stand up Haha. Maybe they are notifying by placement rank?
    If they were sending the emails by placement rank i would have probably gotten an email by now. I scored the same as fasteddie and he already got his email. I guess none of our theories are correct. Lol.

If I don't hear something over the weekend I will call Mr. Wilson on Monday.

Forum Member

If they were sending the emails by placement rank i would have probably gotten an email by now. I scored the same as fasteddie and he already got his email. I guess none of our theories are correct. Lol.

If I don't hear something over the weekend I will call Mr. Wilson on Monday.

Forum Member

I should be ranked right about the same spot then. I got a 97.8 as well!!! I hope the process goes just as fast for the guys who live in town!! The last testing process was very spread out.
    I know a couple guys in state that got emails about continuing the next steps in the process with similar scores.

Thread Information