Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Junior Firefighter with radio

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by devinZ71 View Post
    Well I asked my chief today and he said yeah I can have a radio. So **** you bro
    Very mature. Thanks for proving my point sonny.
    Chenzo likes this.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Forum Member

Well I asked my chief today and he said yeah I can have a radio. So **** you bro
    speaks volumes not only about you -but also about your department. But on the chance your chief isn't a whacker like you, why don't you invite him to join firehouse? And just for fun -go ahead and post your FD contact info.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    speaks volumes not only about you -but also about your department. But on the chance your chief isn't a whacker like you, why don't you invite him to join firehouse? And just for fun -go ahead and post your FD contact info.
    Thanks for the support. He won't post his FD info or invite his chief to join, even he knows what he just posted was idiotic. Because you and I BOTH quoted him even if he deletes his post it will still be here. You have to laugh at that kind of stupidity.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

Forum Member

Once your nuts drop you ought not talk that way to grown men. Somebody will end up giving you an education that you'll not forget.

PS. Don't say **** on your new radio.
    rm1524 and conrad427 like this.

Well, your chief can do whatever he wants to do, but there is no valid reason for a junior to have a radio.
    FyredUp likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

This is exactly why having Junior Squirrels are a bad idea. When you out grow your Ninja Turtles underwear Skippy, maybe then you can be a real fireman.

Hmmmmm...........
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    This is exactly why having Junior Squirrels are a bad idea. When you out grow your Ninja Turtles underwear Skippy, maybe then you can be a real fireman.
    I have to say I laughed out loud at this post.

AWESOME!!

My bet is our young "friend" won't be back...

Maybe not: but there a hundred other juvenile know it alls out there waiting to take his place.

By the way spanky.::: pull that crapp on the job and one of the old timers will shove your newly purchased radio right up yer arse
    FyredUp likes this.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  33.3 KB

Thanks guys for some great laughs!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Well, your chief can do whatever he wants to do, but there is no valid reason for a junior to have a radio.
    Disagree, depending on the department.

Our juniors are issued radios.

It's not uncommon for them to be first in at a fire, MVC or EMS, all of which they are allowed to run. Having a radio gives them the ability to provide an initial size up and give us an idea of what resources we will need. In addition it gives them the ability to communicate with command at incidents if they are given a task.

My disagreement with this poster having a radio was that it appeared that the Chief did not want him to have one. Apparently that was not the case.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Thanks guys for some great laughs!!
    My chief said none of that was funny so %&@# you bro.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

It's not uncommon for them to be first in at a fire, MVC or EMS, all of which they are allowed to run. Having a radio gives them the ability to provide an initial size up and give us an idea of what resources we will need. In addition it gives them the ability to communicate with command at incidents if they are given a task.

My disagreement with this poster having a radio was that it appeared that the Chief did not want him to have one. Apparently that was not the case.
    Here in Kentucky, juniors can't be on the scene. Letting them do it is a good reason to bid farewell to your testiballs.

And even if they let them, I wouldn't dream of allowing one to go to a scene in a POV. Imagine a kid whose license is still warm from the DMV laminator knowing he's half a mile from a hot one and will be first on scene. Bad combination.
    FyredUp and conrad427 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Here in Kentucky, juniors can't be on the scene. Letting them do it is a good reason to bid farewell to your testiballs.

And even if they let them, I wouldn't dream of allowing one to go to a scene in a POV. Imagine a kid whose license is still warm from the DMV laminator knowing he's half a mile from a hot one and will be first on scene. Bad combination.
    Great points and additionally I dont want initial size-up left to a teenager. Most teenagers I know can't be trusted to pick up their shoes let alone assess fire conditions or injuries, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Andy View Post
    Great points and additionally I dont want initial size-up left to a teenager. Most teenagers I know can't be trusted to pick up their shoes let alone assess fire conditions or injuries, etc.
    Immaturity issues notwithstanding (there are some equally immature 30-year-olds), there are programs in which the juniors (or Explorers) actually do get a sound base of training and mentoring and are worthy of trust. I would opine that if you heard one of that type giving a size-up on the scanner, you wouldn't know the difference.

It depends on the overall culture of a given department and its juniors.

And there are 40-year-olds who shouldn't be let near a radio.

The OP does appear to need an attitude adjustment.

As an aside, I ran a call on the river a few years ago whilst a guest on a neighboring FD's fireboat. The call involved a boat that had struck a shoal and was taking on water. The Coast Guard showed up. They were professional and enthusiastic - but if they hadn't been wearing uniforms, I might have mistaken them for a boatload of kids from the local high school... They were that young.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

How idiotic is this line of thinking? Seriously, you have stated your FD would PUNISH people for acting on their own outside of your district yet you would give this responsibility to a teenager responding in their own car? Are you guys insane? Who would have the ability to make a more mature decision? An adult firefighter outside of your district or a some teenager whose adrenaline is gong 50,000 miles an hour? Where is that teenagers knowledge in building construction, fire behavior and so on to even begin to make a proper size-up? Other than saying "YUP, she's a burnin."

I will go on record once again adamantly opposing juniors responding to emergency scenes at al, but if they do, especially oppose them responding in their POV. This is a disaster just waiting for the right time to occur..
    conrad427 and FF-Andy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Immaturity issues notwithstanding (there are some equally immature 30-year-olds), there are programs in which the juniors (or Explorers) actually do get a sound base of training and mentoring and are worthy of trust. I would opine that if you heard one of that type giving a size-up on the scanner, you wouldn't know the difference.

It depends on the overall culture of a given department and its juniors.

And there are 40-year-olds who shouldn't be let near a radio.

The OP does appear to need an attitude adjustment.

As an aside, I ran a call on the river a few years ago whilst a guest on a neighboring FD's fireboat. The call involved a boat that had struck a shoal and was taking on water. The Coast Guard showed up. They were professional and enthusiastic - but if they hadn't been wearing uniforms, I might have mistaken them for a boatload of kids from the local high school... They were that young.
    Of course there will always be idiots that even as an adult shouldn't have a radio, but the odds of some teenager either doing something stupid, or wrong, are much higher because of their age and experience.

My bet is those Coast Guardsman weren't really that young as much as you are getting older and young adults appear younger every year. That has occurred to me. there is a police officer in the neighboring town that if I saw him in street clothes I would say is 16 or 17 years old. In reality he is in his early 20's.

The OP is just another example of today's youth who have an entitlement mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    My chief said none of that was funny so %&@# you bro.
    Har de har har!!

Thread Information