Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New hopeful and gear questions

Forum Member

Thanks for the info! Rolling ankles is definitely a bad thing, and I'm rather prone to it, so I'll avoid them. As far as I can tell, I'd have to drive to Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Colorado to get to a boot store that carries any decent selection of wildland fire boots. There just isn't much of a market for them in Kansas! I'm kicking myself for not getting some earlier this year when I was in the Pac NW for work. I even drove through Spokane in August! I just hadn't gotten fed up enough with fisheries observing to look into other work yet! I'll give White's a call!

Thanks!

Rachel

Forum Member

You can always get loggee boots. Just go down to boot store near you and see what they have, you may be suprised. Or a uniform store as well.

Forum Member

There are some Red Wing dealers in Kansas. Not the best boots but adequate and you could try them on for fit. I believe they are offering both the tall heel and low heel in their logger boot. I used Redwings when I first started as a volunteer FF and later in my first 2 seasons with the Forest Service. I don't know how much they are these days, but they used to be about 1/2 the price of Whites, so probably $200-250.

Redwing has really good service and will often give a firefighters discount. I went through a couple pairs of their station boots when I worked on an ambulance, and two pairs of their logger boots and they always treated me well. I still have a pair as my back up, back up boots.

They are not nearly as rugged as Whites or Nicks, but should get you through a season no problem. If you have fitting issues it might be worth getting a cheaper boot you can actually try on vs a better more expensive boot you are guessing at, then get the better boots down the road when you have a job and are in an area that stocks good firefighting boots.

You will want to look at one of their 9" leather logger boots. The requirements for boots are pretty vague, leather construction, at least 8" tall, with a lug sole so you have some leeway in the specific boot.

Also stay away from steel toes.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/

Check their store finder to see what might be near you. Worst case you can at least get an idea of sizing by trying on the boot.

Forum Member

Thank you! I was freaking out a little about buying $400 non returnable boots that might not even fit! Even if I buy another pair later, I feel much more comfortable buying a pair locally to get me started. Funds are quite tight, so a lower price boot I can replace later when funds are available and I figure out what features I do and do not like would be preferable! Then I'd have a back up pair as well!

Another question!

What months do most entry level seasonal (like GS 2-3) fire jobs start? I'm looking for some interim seasonal work, but I don't want to get a job that just goes a little too long and miss out on the entire fire season!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rgugs View Post
    Thank you! I was freaking out a little about buying $400 non returnable boots that might not even fit! Even if I buy another pair later, I feel much more comfortable buying a pair locally to get me started. Funds are quite tight, so a lower price boot I can replace later when funds are available and I figure out what features I do and do not like would be preferable! Then I'd have a back up pair as well!

Another question!

What months do most entry level seasonal (like GS 2-3) fire jobs start? I'm looking for some interim seasonal work, but I don't want to get a job that just goes a little too long and miss out on the entire fire season!

Depends on the region, and the season, if it stays dry like it is now it might be a very early start. In general the southwest starts a little earlier (March / April), the North and Pacific Northwest later (June). California falls in the middle (May). Don't really know much about the hiring in the Midwest, South and East.

For the Feds you are probably looking at offers anywhere from late February through April and start dates 6-10 weeks after an offer. That assumes you are offered a job right off, if you are further down and an offer is made after a first or second choice doesn't work out you might not start until July.

Forum Member

Thanks!

Another question! Has anybody been able to log onto Wildfire X through Avue? I can log into Avue, but not the other. I don't want to miss any opportunities!

Forum Member

Default Thanks for all the help!

I accepted a fire position in Montana! Thank you for all the helpful information!
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Congratulations. Hope you have a great season.

Thread Information