Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By johnsb
  • 1 Post By Margin67

Thread: Fun Training Night

Forum Member

Default Fun Training Night

Looking for some ideas for a fun training night. My dept. has done basketball in turnouts & SCBA's, kickball in turnouts, firefighting themed scavenger hunt in our city. Want to do something different and with competition too. Any ideas would be great!
    "If I'm not back in five minutes.. wait longer."

Forum Member

pizza , strippers and pole dancing
    ?

Forum Member

Water polo in bunker gear

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    pizza , strippers and pole dancing
    That’s certainly what I’d call a “Fun Training Night”

Forum Member

Your enthusiasm is commendable, but IMO interesting and productive should be enough. Now everything has to be fun? What does basketball and kickball and scavenger hunts really teach anyone? Physical fitness is great and it's obviously important to firefighters. I don't believe it should be a high priority for training nights. Guys can work on their fitness alone at home or at the gym. They can't work on firefighting evolutions alone or at home. They need to be with the group and the equipment. Most guys complain about getting enough time to train. The time they get should be used as efficiently as possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like to good team building training and also keeping the firefighter use to wear gear and packs.

we do a drill that's called "Truck Geography" one firefighter at a time has a paper bag placed on his head to block his eye sight but he can still see if feet. Then starting at the driver side mirror, The chief calls out a tool or appliance on the engine and they have to fine it and hold it in there hand. All of this is timed. Each firefighter has to fine 5 items and the firefighter with the best combines time wins a prize. It's a great drill to make sure the firefighter learn exactly where everything is on the engine. Especially good for slower volley fire departments.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

How about doing a hose advancement evolution for time as a competition between crews? Or a search drill, or ladder evolutions? Do something meaningful and make it a competition.

I guess on occasion I could see the things you have done as fun drills but truly how meaningful are they for firefighter training?
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-25-2013 at 12:28 AM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

We've had some where we've taken things like a hose rack or two ladders tied together, with an up side down paper cup on top with an egg on it. Task was to use rescue tools and cribbing to raise the objects a foot without the egg falling.
    We've also had contests between two crews to pull up to a dump tank, establish a draft, charge a line, and hit an orange cone. We rotated crews and operators.
    RangerJake72 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have also done SCBA basketball and it is really fun plus you learn a lot. You learn air conservation, SCBA familiarization, physical fitness, and you get used to working while wearing an SCBA. It isn't just a game of wasting time however it shouldn't be your only training for 6 months in a row.

We have developed a relay game based on truck familiarization. Create 4-5 person teams. Teams compete against each other based on time. One person starts at a start/finish line. The person is to go get something from a truck and bring it back to the next person. That person puts it back and is assigned to get something else. It works good because even the most seasoned guys forget where some things are.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

We're in a very rural area with very few hydrants. What hydrants there are tend to be 50' from the road, back in the woods or pastures, so they aren't easy to find. Most of the time we rely on the one in front of the station for water shuttle. In order to familiarize everyone with where the hydrants are (and which ones work!) we are holding a "poker run" after the first of the year.

We will divide into 4 teams. Each of the working hydrants will have 4 sealed envelopes attached to it. Inside each envelope is a playing card. The crews are given a map and then head out to find each hydrant and retrieve an envelope. At the end of the night they use the cards they collected to play one hand of poker for prizes.

They get more experience driving the trucks and navigating. They learn the location of the hydrants.
    RangerJake72 likes this.

Forum Member

Maybe I'm weird but I always have fun at training when it is realistic and there is a point to it.

Honestly if the training officer put turnout kickball on the schedule, that is a night I would have something better to do, like watching paint dry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Apparently some miss the idea of team building. Plus following command.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Here and there View Post
    Maybe I'm weird but I always have fun at training when it is realistic and there is a point to it.

Honestly if the training officer put turnout kickball on the schedule, that is a night I would have something better to do, like watching paint dry.
    Ah I see...too good to play games. Got it!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    Apparently some miss the idea of team building. Plus following command.
    Couldn't you reinforce team building and following command by doing fire or emergency related drills?
    I'm not shooting down these games entirely. I'm just pointing out that they meet few of the requirements for a truly productive fire service training session. I'll point out again that many seem to have a real challenge getting enough training time in. That's why the time available should be used as productively as possible.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    Couldn't you reinforce team building and following command by doing fire or emergency related drills?
    I'm not shooting down these games entirely. I'm just pointing out that they meet few of the requirements for a truly productive fire service training session. I'll point out again that many seem to have a real challenge getting enough training time in. That's why the time available should be used as productively as possible.
    Hey something me and capjack can agree on. I understand the concept of having the men wear ppe while doing "every day" things to get comfortable, and some times the newer members wear full ppe to wash trucks , clean etc. But with the limited amount of training time , I think training should be as realistic as possible. Not to say it shouldn't be fun and competitive. Time your evolutions for bragging rights, but do realistic evolutions. At the end of the drill you can throw a "special" event in, but I question the public perception if they see a bunch of guys wearing thousands of dollars worth of gear playing dodge ball.
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

I want to thank Margin67 for your great Poker Run Idea. We did this training Tues night. We are a rural fire department with 6 fire hydrants covering 36 sq miles. To had to the fun it was night and very foggy. The firefighters really enjoyed it and I have prizes for them when that finished.

Thread Information