Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Red face Ohio Volunteer Departments & AFG

ok i am posting this for a friend that lives in Ohio has a huge coverage area and average age of over 25 (replacing 28 year old pumper)

I know Ohio VFD's have a 33hr course what other classes do they have to have to meet NFPA 1001 for FF1 & FF2?

I guess we will have to request the funds for FF1 & FF2 (In WV we use RESA free public training or WVU so we dont have to request the funds.

My fear is them getting the funds for training and the Vehicle being dropped

Any help would be great!
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Are you requesting funding to go with the vehicle? (1002?) If so, that needs to go under Additional Funding in the vehicle application. That way if the vehicle is funded, the training will be included.

If you are just doing FF1/FF2 training, that's an Ops app and wouldn't even be scored or reviewed with the vehicle.

If you are fearful of losing a vehicle application, you may want to take a sedative -- with 101 total FV awards last year, most of us realize that the competition is so tight, you have to go only after rock-solid applications and be prepared to take a denial with ease.

2:48AM and only 13 days to go!!!

Forum Member

The other thing is that you don't have to request the funding if the training process is ongoing and money isn't the issue. Most VFDs the issue is that it takes many many months of weekends to get to the 180+ hours of true FF1. VFDs only need to comply with the state rules for interior, and as of now that's still 80hrs including 8hrs of live burn here in TX. It's not FF1, but by the state rules that's interior qualified. Everyone is encouraged to finish FF1 and FF2 but when you're not getting paid to attend the mortgage company appreciates doing what gets you paid first.

But if money is the issue then request the training. Any training requested as part of a project is not scored as part of the request, just like sales tax. Basically anything under Additional Funding is not counted in the scoring need for the project, it just has to be valid in order to be added to the award.

So on the Vehicle grant if they only have a few NFPA 1001 FF1 (5 out of 20 members) & FF2 (3 out of 20 members) answer it as??? They all have the state mandated fire training.

I know where you are coming from on the number of awards - My deal is if we answer low numbers for FF1 & FF2 on a vehicle grant and he doesn't request the NFPA 1001 don't that score him poorly?

Just not familiar enough with Ohio VFD training laws. I do know they have to do continuing education to stay a firefighter..

Thanks brian
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Quote Originally Posted by McMechen VFD View Post
    So on the Vehicle grant if they only have a few NFPA 1001 FF1 (5 out of 20 members) & FF2 (3 out of 20 members) answer it as???
    Answer what it is - 25% FF1 and 15% FF2.

Quote Originally Posted by McMechen VFD View Post
    My deal is if we answer low numbers for FF1 & FF2 on a vehicle grant and he doesn't request the NFPA 1001 don't that score him poorly?
    None of us know the exact scoring algorithm for different projects, but I would suspect that you will already score lower than a department with fully trained members, at the very least, in the eyes of a reviewer.

Forum Member

Plus remember they're asking for NFPA 1001/IFSTA/Pro-Board FF1 and FF2, not Ohio FF1 and FF2 if they aren't aligned exactly with NFPA on total hours and topic for topic. So since the app has to be accurate, if it's the 25%/15%, then it is what it is. Gotta train more and get certs, and like I mentioned as long as they're in pursuit of that and money won't help it doesn't hurt scoring. Reviewers/DHS just want an answer that makes sense and isn't a bunch of BS.

i agree Sly
    and i knew the % LOL

They are also doing a SCBA Grant to replace their 1980's SCBA's it is sad that they are told they don't have to be NFPA but they will probably get booted and still be stuck with 25+ year old packs
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Thanks Brian.
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

We've gotten plenty of goods for departments that were at 0% on both, especially in states where the interior volunteer cert is different. PA was FF1, luckily I snagged that in 1994 when it was 106 hours. Many Midwestern states are like TX which I mentioned above, so no one has done more than that. Even with the realignment to a FF1 & 2 down here it's somewhere around 300 hours for each to match the career certification requirements. No way that's happening quickly for someone that doesn't go to an Academy, average of 16 hours a month is going to take almost 2 years to hit. Since they can't override the state's requirements all they want to know is that a department is progressing towards certification. And at some point they may compare statistics to see if anyone's numbers have changed from year to year. If not, at some point they may raise some flags.

Talking

In Tennessee it is 400 hrs. Starts with 64hr. class with live burn weekend. HMA, HMO Then progress onto FF-1 and FF-2.
    Jeff
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Thread Information