Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Vertical Ventilation in Private Dwellings

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Therein lies the rub, some people mistakenly look at the transitional attack, and controlling the flow path, as somehow being less aggressive because you aren't crawling into the middle of a schitt storm and risking getting roasted. Or at least lessening the chance of being roasted.

One of my POC FDs burned a house down for practice last week and we did a brief transitional attack stream from the B side into a fully involved, post flashover, living room. With just a 5 second shot we immediately dropped the temp in the room over 200 degrees. That temp drop made the concept easier to understand. We limited the amount of water applied simply because we wanted to burn the house down. My feeling is we could have dropped the temp substantially with another 10 or 15 seconds of application.
    Maybe they've forgotten, or never knew, that the middle of the schitt storm isn't all that pleasant. Even with full PPE.

It's amazing what water will do if we give it the chance. Talking about a good stream, of course.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    Maybe they've forgotten, or never knew, that the middle of the schitt storm isn't all that pleasant. Even with full PPE.

It's amazing what water will do if we give it the chance. Talking about a good stream, of course.
    They may have forgotten, but odds are many have never really been in the middle of a real schitt storm. I have been burned a few times, fortunately none too serious, but I would much prefer to avoid that if possible. Even the best PPE has limitations and if those limits are surpassed we get hurt.

Fortunately both of my current FDs use either straight streams or smooth bore nozzles and with flows ranging from 150 to 300 gpm so we are good In that area. High flows are the norm here.

Thread Information