Forum Member

Default Advice for a fire instructor

I have read a few different articles about instructing. I work as FF at an airport, on my off days i am an assistant instructor In fire 1&2. I get into it yoo much as in getting my hands dirty and showing them when they dont get my point. Its hard to teach freshmen in college who do not understand how to be aggressive and bust your a## WHEN NEEDED.
    Any general tips appreciated

Forum Member

Instruct the way you like to be instructed

Remember you are teaching basics and the dept will do the chewing on

Forum Member

took me many years to accept it , but the sad fact is ---you cant teach want to
    ?

Forum Member

I guess it would be better to embrace now rather than later. Sad thing on a burn day i tell the 1 student, that i know will screw up, CHECK YOUR STREAM AND DO NOT BANG THE NOZZLE WHEN SEARCHING FOR FIRE ROOM! As i wait in the fire room he comes in and automatically starts spraying everything Full Fog and drops the nozzle! HOLY SH#T Steamed the .... out of me

Forum Member

Repetition

have them carry a nozzle everywhere they go for a day till the get very Acquainted with it.

or similar depending on what the problem is

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bkuhn View Post
    I guess it would be better to embrace now rather than later. Sad thing on a burn day i tell the 1 student, that i know will screw up, CHECK YOUR STREAM AND DO NOT BANG THE NOZZLE WHEN SEARCHING FOR FIRE ROOM! As i wait in the fire room he comes in and automatically starts spraying everything Full Fog and drops the nozzle! HOLY SH#T Steamed the .... out of me
    I believe that BEGINNERS should not be allowed in a burn room with a combination nozzle. There seems to invariably be one who screws up and uses the wrong position. If you use them in your department, let the students use them too. But only AFTER they've proven themselves to be somewhat reliable.

Forum Member

Teaching at a college, I will suggest that to the lead instructor. Totally agree. Wish we could run classes like a city academy: you do not want to work GO Home!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

If the choice of going to a smothbore is not an option then what I have done is teach them to check the nozzle one last time before they enter the fire attack area. I make it simple, right for fight/left for lobster. And actually if you go right all the way the stream is better if you come back about 1/4 of a turn. But it will work okay all the way to the right.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

where else are you gonna learn that stuff unless you do it in the academy? didn't anyone here make those mistakes when they were in an academy? I know i did, Kudos for teaching the firefighters of tomorrow, someone has to do it, maybe you don't wait in the burn room, enter with them that way you can make sure that the technique is being applied at the right time and students aren't being careless with the nozzle or getting that tunnel vision that we all do when we see our first fire!

Forum Member

I wish we could also run our academy like a full time academy. I am the Lead Instructor for our Fire 1&2 program at the local community college fire academy and we get a wide variety of students. Some older, some younger, male, female, you name it we get it..our biggest issue is the lack of drive from the younger students. I think its a generational thing honestly, and you just have to work around it. We have a very structured program and I have noticed that alot of times, because most of our students are volunteer firefighters, we sometimes find ourselves bending around schedules and lifestyles to ensure that everyone gets a chance at the program. I'm sure these are all common issues with other similar academies.

The only thing I could suggest for your original post would be to emphasize the need for the hard work and effort in relation to the career field they are trying to get into.

Thread Information