Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Hydraulic rescue tools

My department wants to try for a new set of hydraulic rescue tools. Our current tools we purchased used over 20 years ago. We ran a call earlier this year where we couldn't sheer the a or b post trying to remove the roof on a newer model car. We would like to go with a high pressure unit that meets NFPA standards. In looking at ball park prices, a power unit, spreader and cutter will be close to $25k. I was trying to stay in the micro grant level - but if I do I would be giving up the ram. Are my odds better to stay under the $25k?

Forum Member

If it doesn't solve your needs what good is the funding being short a tool. IMHO you're short 2, after all how do you do a dash push with only 1 ram? Every set should have 2 rams, and your app should be about solving the issue, not staying within a dollar amount for something that isn't scored. MGs aren't going to get any extra credit just because they're under. All they're doing is checking them to make sure higher priority but lower dollar requests aren't getting pushed out by the big ones. Other than that, there's no scoring advantage in this year's program as written.

Get what you need, just in case I ever drive up that way I want to make sure you guys can handle it if someone T-bones me.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info - makes sense but I thought for some reason the micro grants got a higher priority. It didn't feel right to not go for a complete set.

Forum Member

It's in there that they "may" get extra consideration, but nothing definitive. Mainly it sounds like they're going to review all MGs to make sure those that should make Peer do, and those that shouldn't don't. Seems like they're trying to make sure that the small requests aren't getting bounced just because they're small, not because they're low priority. Or because some have lower numbers and a small request, doesn't matter if it's PPE but if you ran 0 structure fires in a 3 year period it just isn't going to rank. Had that issue before with someone, took until we could average 1 a year before it beat the computer.

Thread Information