Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Nashville Fire Department hiring info?

I'm currently serving the in the Marine Corps I have about 2 years left on my contract. Once I get out of the Marine Corps I would like to be come a Nashville Firefighter. I was wondering what steps i should take as far as education or anything. Im in the infantry so my job in the military doesn't really help me much as far as being a firefighter. Do I need to have a Fire Science degree? I planned on trying to complete my EMT certificate before my contract is up. I feel because I have no experience as a firefighter that as far as the hiring process my application would kinda just be overlooked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Forum Member

Thank you for your service

How old are you?

Would get emt before any thing else

Read through this:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t116313/ (Nashville Fire Recruit)

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t124910/ (Nashville FD..... What should I do to get hired on?)

Their web site does not give much info

http://nashfire.org/employment.htm

You might write or call to see what the minimum requirements to apply are.

My advice to all is not to settle on one department. You may never get hired. Test every where and anywhere and test often
    Last edited by fire49; 12-02-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Forum Member

Im 20, and thank you I appreciate the help

Forum Member

looking more you can ask them to notify you

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/nas...openjobrequest

looks like emt is good to have before you apply:

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/nas...6&viewOnly=yes

Forum Member

Where are you currently stationed

Forum Member

Do you happen to be stationed in Camp Lejuene? Let me know and I can get you some info on the EMT Cert course availability here.

Patrick "Doc" Cornish

Forum Member

NFD is pushing towards everyone being cross trained. EMT is mandatory for any hire starting January 1st of 2014. Fire experience/training is not a necessity but could help. Definitely get your EMT first and foremost. There is a large fire class in the academy now but by the time you get out there will probably be another wave of hiring. fill out the interest card from one of the links someone already posted. Nashville Metro government uses neo.gov for their human resource needs and they email people when jobs post.

Forum Member

Yes im stationed there im currently deployed right now though

Forum Member

Ok so I know your deployed now, however when you are back in Lejuene do you live in the barracks or out in town? If you live in the Sneads Ferry or even in Court House Bay and are interested in getting with a volunteer department to get some experience let me know and I will see what I can do to help you out.

Patrick "Doc" Cornish

Forum Member

sorry it took so long to reply no i over near richlands closer to new river almost

Forum Member

Gotcha, I would try to get on with Richlands Volunteer FD and knock out as many of the certifications as you can knocked out, the county offers them pretty much weekly also they may be able to have the fee waived for you to go through and get your EMT-B knocked out at coastal.

Forum Member

alright thanks very much for all the help i really appreciate it

Forum Member

Here's what I would do:

-Begin researching areas where you want to live/work, taking in to consideration universities and volley departments near those areas.
    -Suscribe to a fire jobs notification website. (many use firerecruit.com...worth the $7 a month)
    -Begin obtaining basic certs (EMT/CPR) once you're back stateside BEFORE you EAS.
    -Begin initial steps to enrolling in college. Think about transferable majors. Shoot for eing enrolled as soon after your EAS date as possible.
    -Once you meet a certain department's minimum requirements and you will be able to meet their application timeline events (written tests, orals, physicals, etc) apply. Do not delay getting applications out there, this can be a long process.
    -Once you EAS or are on terminal leave, you're goal should be to have the minimum certs required for the departments you've been looking at, be enrolled in college, and have applications in to volunteer departments.

Once you EAS you will be getting paid to go to school and will start building your education resume. It's usually easier to take a day off from classes to test/interview with a department than it is to drop a day of work. The goal here is to set yourself up for future success educationally if the fire gig doesn't pan out right away. I wasted the majority of my GI Bill on fire/ems classes that only got me an associates. Do not do this. A bachelors degree will be much more beneficial down the road.

While in school, hit the applications hard, at both volley and career departments. You will be able to volunteer while going to school, getting fire specific certs from the department and academic credits from the college. If you don't get picked up by a career department in the mean time, you'll have a couple years of fire experience and a bachelors degree under your belt and will be that much more marketable to both fire departments and civilian positions.

You may want to seriously consider a one year stint doing contracting before any of this in order to establish a nest egg that will float you through the months when the GI Bill isn't active and to fund traveling expenses for the application process.

Semper Fi. 0321/0317
    Last edited by William Bourbonstreet; 03-27-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Thread Information