Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: More ammo to rid the fire service of alcohol.......

So, no brotherhood with out beer? Got it.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    I'm good on the grown up. But to be that clueless on the social and fraternal aspects of a union, especially a firefighting union sure makes me question. Much like the VFW I belong to, maybe 3 generations, but the bond is stronger than time.
    As far a smoking, straw man argument.m sure the guy sitting next to having a beer isn't taking a leak on your leg. A little different than second hand smoke. Next.
    Believe me I know all about the brotherhood and fraternal aspect of the union I just do not feel that alcohol is an important aspect. As for the smoking comment obviously you are not in the local that protects the cigarette capital of the world. Or in an economy that is based off of tobacco and cigarette production pumps millions into the city budget. Not so much of a straw man argument in those terms yes in many areas of the country that debate is still going strong as well. However that is a different topic that we can discuss at a different thread if you would like. And for the record I do not smoke or support smoking in the union hall. however it still happens.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    So, no brotherhood with out beer? Got it.
    No, but for some people they feel much more at ease with a beer or two after training.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    No, but for some people they feel much more at ease with a beer or two after training.
    Cant say that I agree with it, but I guess I will have to chalk it up to different strokes, different folks type of thing. I have too many of my own battles to fight in my dept, thankfully booze is not one of them. I am making some headway on the training committee though, I have been sick to death about it.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Why can they not feel at ease with a Coke, Dr Pepper, iced tea or a coffee?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    With the way he does things, beer might be too "lite"...

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

And as Chief those "beer or two" consumed in my firehouse after training would most certainly not put me at ease.

Frankly, your continuing to support drinking in the firehouse while at the same time claiming neither of your current FDs allow alcohol in the firehouse shows that sometimes you are nothing but a pot stirring troll.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Because some people feel more at ease with a beer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    And as Chief those "beer or two" consumed in my firehouse after training would most certainly not put me at ease.

Frankly, your continuing to support drinking in the firehouse while at the same time claiming neither of your current FDs allow alcohol in the firehouse shows that sometimes you are nothing but a pot stirring troll.
    I have stated that I prefer that beer not be in the firehouse on many occasions during this thread, however, if a department chooses to allow beer after drill, as well as other special circumstances, under strict controls and policies, I will not say that they are wrong or condemn their actions.

I have never stated that beer should be allowed at any time. I have never stated that beer should be allowed without a set of enforced policies and controls.

As far as bars in the firehouse, most of those in those bars are either retired members or social members, who may use the bar for business or pleasure, and quite honestly, have no intent of responding. If they are in the bar, they should not respond under any circumstances.

I have stated that I prefer that beer not be in the firehouse on many occasions during this thread, however, if a department chooses to allow beer after drill, as well as other special circumstances, under strict controls and policies, I will not say that they are wrong or condemn their actions.
    Well LA, I am now in agreement with you. It has been brought to my attention that it is perfectly ok to drink in the firehouse because we as professionals may drink off duty at our union hall. Besides, it has also been pointed out that there can be no brotherhood with beer. So by all means drink, be merry and respond to you hearts content. Us career guys know to well how important politicians and the public can be and I can't bare the thought of losing one of them by me drinking in my union hall, off city property while off duty. The shame would be to much. I have even purchased blackout curtains for my home, just in case one or the other where to drive by and see me drinking in my living room and think that all firefighters are drunks. Drinking in my hot tub is also now on hold until I can afford a gazebo. Though I will take donations for one, just send them to my attention via private message.
    I have never stated that beer should be allowed at any time. I have never stated that beer should be allowed without a set of enforced policies and controls.

As far as bars in the firehouse, most of those in those bars are either retired members or social members, who may use the bar for business or pleasure, and quite honestly, have no intent of responding. If they are in the bar, they should not respond under any circumstances.
    To quote my friend Don; "This place gets weirder and weirder every day."
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 12-13-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

We used to drink water after training. We felt very much at ease.

Yet another difference between professionals and idiot posers.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

I wouldn't want to work interior with anyone that needs a beer after TRAINING to feel much more at ease. Sound like the exact type guy that has SCBA issues on the front porch. What kind of comic book commentary are you trying to make?

At ease with what? Most of our guys just want to get to the house after training.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Geezus H. Christ on a crutch I didn't realize the job of the fire department was to supply mind altering substances so people could feel at ease. Silly me, after all these years I thought the job of the fire department was to train and be prepared to save lives and property.

I am going to have to give this all some serious thought and perhaps recommend to the Chiefs of both POC FDs that we have been doing this all wrong and that we should be serving alcohol, and perhpas marijuana when that becomes legal here, to put our guys at ease.

Ths topic has seriously eroded what hope I had after meeting you that there may be a some rational thinking going on in your head. But your stance on this topic, especially knowing your over the top, uber safety nonsense, makes you look like a mentally deficient, bi-polar, idiot.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 12-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

If ypu prefer it not to be there then stop defending it being there. That is like being pro-life but being okay with the abortion clinic opening up in town because of the new jobs. It doesn't make any sense and you can't have it both ways.

Good Lord man you are so bi-polar it is ludicrous.

Nonsense and even you know it.

WHY do you keep defending something you say you are against and then justifying it being okay with your next breath?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Andy View Post
    I wouldn't want to work interior with anyone that needs a beer after TRAINING to feel much more at ease. Sound like the exact type guy that has SCBA issues on the front porch. What kind of comic book commentary are you trying to make?
    Really?

I know plenty damn fine firefighters who like a beer or two to relax (And very rarely get drunk).

Forum Member

If ypu prefer it not to be there then stop defending it being there. That is like being pro-life but being okay with the abortion clinic opening up in town because of the new jobs. It doesn't make any sense and you can't have it both ways.

There are a lot of things that I prefer, but just because it's not the way I prefer, I'm not going to call it wrong.

I have seen beer in the firehouse managed. Members choose to take themselves out of service for the remainder of the night and did not respond. Policies limited when the beer could be served and how much could be drunk. Chief officers and captains enforced the policy. It worked, and the community had no issue with it.

Good Lord man you are so bi-polar it is ludicrous.

Bi-Polar because I understand that in some places, a couple of beers after training is tradition? Bi-Polar because while I personally don't like the idea of beer in the firehouse I understand that it can be managed?

Maybe.

Nonsense and even you know it.

I have no issues with bars in firehouses. I have no issues with members going there with no intention of responding, either alone or with friends and family to relax.

Really?

I know plenty damn fine firefighters who like a beer or two to relax (And very rarely get drunk).
    Me too. But none of the ones I know do it in a firehouse. It's because they are professionals.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Really?

As long as a man is not at the firehouse, off duty and not planning to respond then he can get drunk as Cooter Brown for all I care. My point is that if training is freaking him out bad enough that he has to consume beer to "feel much more at ease" then when the tones drop and its time to saddle up he's probably not a guy I want covering my ***.
    FyredUp likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Andy View Post
    As long as a man is not at the firehouse, off duty and not planning to respond then he can get drunk as Cooter Brown for all I care. My point is that if training is freaking him out bad enough that he has to consume beer to "feel much more at ease" then when the tones drop and its time to saddle up he's probably not a guy I want covering my ***.

None of those who had a beer or two in the department mentioned because they were "freaked out" They just liked to have a beer or two when BSing with the guys after training.

This really isn't all that complicated.

Thread Information