Like Tree53Likes

Thread: More ammo to rid the fire service of alcohol.......

  1. #276
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by O501 View Post
    Elephant in the room: Why is it so important to have alcohol available in the firehouse, at a drill site after training, or whatever? Why is it so important to begin drinking ASAP, instead of doing it later, away from the firehouse?

    Why are members not meeting up a little later, off fire department property, and not wearing any clothing that identifies them as members of the department?
    Nver said that it was "so important". In fact, I never actually stated that it was important at all. The department i was refrencing allowed beer after drill almost 30 years ago, and in fact, they no longer have beer in the station. Was it "important" then? Not really. In fact it would probably have had little effect if the beef was removed then.

    The fact is none of my current departments allow beer in the station and there is zero push to allow it by by any of the members. And I would not support it in either of my current departments if there was a push to allow it. That being said, I am not going to condemn any department that allows small amounts of beer in the station at specific time under specific conditions, including a zero response policy. It's just that I'm not against it like many of the posters here as long as there are controls in place to prevent members from responding while/after drinking.

    As far as your comment about meeting elsewhere, how does it look to the public to have 8 or 10 vehicles at the local bar with red or blue lights?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  2. #277
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    It's just that I'm not against it like many of the posters here as long as there are controls in place to prevent members from responding while/after drinking.
    Which is the crux of the discussion. Zero tolerance in the firehouse. PERIOD!!
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  3. #278
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    As far as your comment about meeting elsewhere, how does it look to the public to have 8 or 10 vehicles at the local bar with red or blue lights?
    Never mind the red and/or blue lights, window stickers, license plates, etc, - in a small town, most people know who drives what. They know who's hanging out at the local watering spot.

    I don't know what the hang up is with "have to have a beer to be social," etc. Sometimes I just want a beer because it tastes good. Being sociable has nothing to do with it.

    Beer left our station some years ago. Now if we can get rid of the smokers...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  4. #279
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    The fact is none of my current departments allow beer in the station and there is zero push to allow it by by any of the members. And I would not support it in either of my current departments if there was a push to allow it. That being said, I am not going to condemn any department that allows small amounts of beer in the station at specific time under specific conditions, including a zero response policy. It's just that I'm not against it like many of the posters here as long as there are controls in place to prevent members from responding while/after drinking.
    For the love of Christ, will you PLEASE make up your fuchking mind?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  5. #280
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    For the love of Christ, will you PLEASE make up your fuchking mind?
    And exactly how I have I not made up my mind?

    I oppose allowing it if it is not currently allowed.

    I will not say that a department is wrong for allowing it if it is currently allowed under a system of controls which limit the quality and times that beer can be consumed and there is a system to prohibit response for a reasonable period.

    That is a local decision to be made by local fire department officials based on the department, the department culture and the community, much like the department level choices choices regarding interior/exterior operations, membership requirements and mandated training.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  6. #281
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Nver said that it was "so important".
    Then why voice any support for it whatsoever? If it's not at all important, why in the world would you jeopardize people's lives, the public safety, and the department's reputation?

    Saying that you wouldn't disturb the status quo is too weak a position. Sh** or get off the pot. Admit you advocate stupidity, or campaign against it.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  7. #282
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And exactly how I have I not made up my mind?

    I oppose allowing it if it is not currently allowed.

    I will not say that a department is wrong for allowing it if it is currently allowed under a system of controls which limit the quality and times that beer can be consumed and there is a system to prohibit response for a reasonable period.

    That is a local decision to be made by local fire department officials based on the department, the department culture and the community, much like the department level choices choices regarding interior/exterior operations, membership requirements and mandated training.
    Only reinforcing your numbnuts mindset. Thanks.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  8. #283
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    It seems funny when I am the one calling for a truce for one day. I guess it was pointless.

    Merry Christmas anyways...
    slackjawedyokel and conrad427 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  9. #284
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    It seems funny when I am the one calling for a truce for one day. I guess it was pointless.

    Merry Christmas anyways...
    Happy New Year!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  40.9 KB
    IAFF

  10. #285
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Happy New Year!
    Attachment 23242
    Post of the year!!!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  11. #286
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Post of the year!!!
    Yay!!!!!!!!
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  12. #287
    Forum Member
    conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    581

    Default

    I fully support that picture, but I do not support that picture.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

  13. #288
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I fully support that picture, but I do not support that picture.
    Well, if she was already in Santa-themed lingerie, it's fine. But I wouldn't ask her to change into it.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  14. #289
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Well, if she was already in Santa-themed lingerie, it's fine. But I wouldn't ask her to change into it.
    I have a couple of her changing out of it, but they would get me kicked out of here.
    IAFF

  15. #290
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I have a couple of her changing out of it, but they would get me kicked out of here.
    Well, you could send a guy a PM or an e-mail for the cry eye eye!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Alcohol & the Fire Service = STUPIDITY
    By FWDbuff in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM
  2. Live ammo at fires...
    By KevinFFVFD in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 08:52 PM
  3. .45 ammo question....
    By KevinFFVFD in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
  4. SAFER R&R Ammo....
    By BC79er_OLDDELETE in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 04:31 PM
  5. Alcohol & The Fire Service
    By ffemt1450 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 01:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register