Like Tree53Likes

Thread: More ammo to rid the fire service of alcohol.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by O501 View Post
    Elephant in the room: Why is it so important to have alcohol available in the firehouse, at a drill site after training, or whatever? Why is it so important to begin drinking ASAP, instead of doing it later, away from the firehouse?

Why are members not meeting up a little later, off fire department property, and not wearing any clothing that identifies them as members of the department?
    Nver said that it was "so important". In fact, I never actually stated that it was important at all. The department i was refrencing allowed beer after drill almost 30 years ago, and in fact, they no longer have beer in the station. Was it "important" then? Not really. In fact it would probably have had little effect if the beef was removed then.

The fact is none of my current departments allow beer in the station and there is zero push to allow it by by any of the members. And I would not support it in either of my current departments if there was a push to allow it. That being said, I am not going to condemn any department that allows small amounts of beer in the station at specific time under specific conditions, including a zero response policy. It's just that I'm not against it like many of the posters here as long as there are controls in place to prevent members from responding while/after drinking.

As far as your comment about meeting elsewhere, how does it look to the public to have 8 or 10 vehicles at the local bar with red or blue lights?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    It's just that I'm not against it like many of the posters here as long as there are controls in place to prevent members from responding while/after drinking.
    Which is the crux of the discussion. Zero tolerance in the firehouse. PERIOD!!
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as your comment about meeting elsewhere, how does it look to the public to have 8 or 10 vehicles at the local bar with red or blue lights?
    Never mind the red and/or blue lights, window stickers, license plates, etc, - in a small town, most people know who drives what. They know who's hanging out at the local watering spot.

I don't know what the hang up is with "have to have a beer to be social," etc. Sometimes I just want a beer because it tastes good. Being sociable has nothing to do with it.

Beer left our station some years ago. Now if we can get rid of the smokers...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

The fact is none of my current departments allow beer in the station and there is zero push to allow it by by any of the members. And I would not support it in either of my current departments if there was a push to allow it. That being said, I am not going to condemn any department that allows small amounts of beer in the station at specific time under specific conditions, including a zero response policy. It's just that I'm not against it like many of the posters here as long as there are controls in place to prevent members from responding while/after drinking.
    For the love of Christ, will you PLEASE make up your fuchking mind?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    For the love of Christ, will you PLEASE make up your fuchking mind?
    And exactly how I have I not made up my mind?

I oppose allowing it if it is not currently allowed.

I will not say that a department is wrong for allowing it if it is currently allowed under a system of controls which limit the quality and times that beer can be consumed and there is a system to prohibit response for a reasonable period.

That is a local decision to be made by local fire department officials based on the department, the department culture and the community, much like the department level choices choices regarding interior/exterior operations, membership requirements and mandated training.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Nver said that it was "so important".
    Then why voice any support for it whatsoever? If it's not at all important, why in the world would you jeopardize people's lives, the public safety, and the department's reputation?

Saying that you wouldn't disturb the status quo is too weak a position. Sh** or get off the pot. Admit you advocate stupidity, or campaign against it.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

And exactly how I have I not made up my mind?

I oppose allowing it if it is not currently allowed.

I will not say that a department is wrong for allowing it if it is currently allowed under a system of controls which limit the quality and times that beer can be consumed and there is a system to prohibit response for a reasonable period.

That is a local decision to be made by local fire department officials based on the department, the department culture and the community, much like the department level choices choices regarding interior/exterior operations, membership requirements and mandated training.
    Only reinforcing your numbnuts mindset. Thanks.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

It seems funny when I am the one calling for a truce for one day. I guess it was pointless.

Merry Christmas anyways...
    slackjawedyokel and conrad427 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    It seems funny when I am the one calling for a truce for one day. I guess it was pointless.

Merry Christmas anyways...
    Happy New Year!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  40.9 KB
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Happy New Year!
    Attachment 23242
    Post of the year!!!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Post of the year!!!
    Yay!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

I fully support that picture, but I do not support that picture.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I fully support that picture, but I do not support that picture.
    Well, if she was already in Santa-themed lingerie, it's fine. But I wouldn't ask her to change into it.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Well, if she was already in Santa-themed lingerie, it's fine. But I wouldn't ask her to change into it.
    I have a couple of her changing out of it, but they would get me kicked out of here.
    IAFF

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I have a couple of her changing out of it, but they would get me kicked out of here.
    Well, you could send a guy a PM or an e-mail for the cry eye eye!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information